Start by marking “Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage” as Want to Read:
Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage

Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Are your in-laws poisoning your marriage? Bestselling author Susan Forward shows you how to manage their behavior without jepordizing your relationship with your spouse.
Published 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers Inc. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Toxic In-Laws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic In-Laws

Lize
My notes from 2002: "Two months after the wedding and I'm reading a book called 'Toxic Inlaws'. Which mostly proved that it could be a lot worse. Got some tips for coping and what my rights are in the relationship."
Kazza
One of the biggest issues when couples come into relationship counselling is the in-laws. Sometimes it isn't even at a conscious level (although often it is) until everything becomes about "your mother"... "your father"....This book is an excellent tool to help you understand why you feel as you do and how to deal with the difficulties in a reasoned and helpful manner.

Susan Forward always has an engaging and straightforward writing style, and once again that is to the fore here.
Katie
I have been married for 6 years, and I wish that I had read this book 5 years and 11 months ago. If you have difficult in-laws, this is is an excellent book to help you. It gave me insight into the root of the problem, helped me acknowledge how I was contributing to the problem and gave me steps to work forward to reclaim out house from a critical and controlling matriarch. Everyone has their problems, and this gives you tools to address those issues. Personally, the most helpful section was the ...more
Amy
Helped remind me I am not the only one going through this. The book was excellent, and after reading the "engulfers" and the "controllers" chapter, I felt as if the book was written especially for me. Even though the strategies in the book probably won't help me much, it is nice to know I am not alone in this struggle.
Krista
This offers fabulous insight on understanding inlaws. I read this to hopefully get a different perspective and it actually not only helped me understand them but also understand myself in my own past perception of inlaws. I recommend it to anyone! It made me really appreciate my inlaws and parents.
Kim
excellent advice for anyone with challenges in this area.
Meg
Apr 10, 2007 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with problematic in-laws
This book was wonderful!!!! The first half deals with introducing the different categories of toxic in-laws. The second half tells you how to protect your marriage. Reading the first half of this book actually prompted me to email the author and thank her for writing it. It helped to make me feel less guilty about my feelings toward my in-laws. It also helped my husband understand what I've been feeling.
Mindi
This book was excellent. I highly recommend this for anyone struggling with in-laws that are difficult. I always thought it was me... until I read this book. Then, I realized that my in-laws were driving us away with their actions. So glad I read it... it helped to open my eyes.
Katie
This was well written with very good examples. There is a section on how to actually deal with difficult people / family at the end. This book was not applicable to my life so I can't really comment on its effectiveness, but it was well written.
Ellemuskov
This offered great insight into something that I am dealing with. I am so thankful for all the advice in this book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is dealing with troubling inlaws.
Sun
I stopped reading this book when I got to the most applicable advice: sometimes it's best to just cut em loose.
Nikki
Lots of useful strategies for learning to live with difficult in-laws. Wish I would've found it 25 years ago!
Melinda
Made me appreciate my in-laws more.
Jyllian Martini
It certainly let me know I'm not alone!
Kermit
Note that MY in-laws are not toxic...
Abbie
BEST BOOK EVER!!!!
Love
Love marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rachel Gerrits
Rachel Gerrits marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Agustina Mlynarcik
Agustina Mlynarcik marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Morgan Tintagel
Morgan Tintagel marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
  • Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self
  • Children: The Challenge
  • Bradshaw on the Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-Esteem
  • In Session: The Bond Between Women and Their Therapists
  • We Love Each Other, but... Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • Why Men Are the Way They Are
  • Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child
  • Psychologist's book of self-test: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests
  • Where Did I Leave My Glasses?: The What, When, and Why of Normal Memory Loss
  • Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology & CD-ROM
  • On the Edge of Darkness: America's Most Celebrated Actors, Journalists and Politicians Chronicle Their Most Arduous Journey
  • Getting to 'I Do'
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Families & Family Therapy
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • EMDR: The Breakthrough "Eye Movement" Therapy For Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, And Trauma
  • I Promise: How 5 Essential Commitments Determine the Destiny of Your Marriage
  • Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-5
One of the nation’s leading therapists, as well as a best selling author, dynamic lecturer and frequent talk-show guest. In addition to her private practice, she has served as a therapist, instructor and consultant for many Southern California psychiatric and medical facilities. She is the author of the #1 New York Times best sellers Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them and Toxic Parents ...more
More about Susan Forward...
Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them : When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why Mothers Who Can't Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters When Your Lover Is a Liar: Healing the Wounds of Deception and Betrayal