Start by marking “Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams” as Want to Read:
Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams

Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  520 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Testing is a key component of agile development. The widespread adoption of agile methods has brought the need for effective testing into the limelight, and agile projects have transformed the role of testers. Much of a tester's function, however, remains largely misunderstood. What is the true role of a tester? Do agile teams actually need members with QA backgrounds? Wha ...more
Published January 9th 2009 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2008)

Drive by Daniel H. PinkThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesCoaching Agile Teams by Lyssa AdkinsThe Lean Startup by Eric Ries
Agile Coaching
23rd out of 92 books — 66 voters
Fluent Forever by Gabriel WynerThe Click Moment by Frans JohanssonJoy, Inc. by Richard SheridanThe Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. ChristensenExtreme Programming Explained by Kent Beck
Inspire the Joy of Work
20th out of 60 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Beverly Ho
Apr 22, 2012 Beverly Ho rated it really liked it
Good explanation on how it's like to be a tester in an Agile team. It also mention the potential challenges during Agile Transformation and the drag factors that can slower down a team from taking the full benefit of being Agile.

Aleksander
Sep 29, 2013 Aleksander rated it liked it
Agile testing is a useful book, a decent introduction to somewhat neglected aspect of agile software development. It is also a book that could have benefitted from a sharper focus and more editing.

There are plenty of books on agile for project managers and programmers, testers are not so fortunate. Strange when you think about it. Testing is more profoundly affected than programming. Good programmers have been doing programming and unit and integration testing in parallel for ages, since long be
Sergey
Nov 25, 2013 Sergey rated it it was ok
I even don't know how to evaluate this book. One the hand I made about 20 notes, got some ideas and link to read from it, but on the other hand, in my mind, this book has too many useless explanations and stories that just blow you away from the main topic.
Several good ideas from this book:
- Shout-out box for the project
- Issue log might be your hidden feature log. Think about it.
- Pairing programmer and tester together for working on a feature
...
will not reveal the others :) just read this ~600
c0g
Aug 15, 2015 c0g rated it did not like it
This book is very heavy on the"stories" of the authors' supposed real world experiences performing agile testing. Each chapter is full of these stories, leaving little room for practical information or actual steps to implement agile testing. As I continued reading I got so sick of these stories I would skip them just to get to the meat of the chapter, until I realized something nefarious. In Chapter 10 they misquote my mentor, the godfather of software testing, Cem Kaner. (paperback version pag ...more
Steve Whiting
Feb 17, 2016 Steve Whiting rated it really liked it
A very good book on blending testing activities and roles into an agile development team. The content is mostly excellent, but with perhaps a tad more generic descrriptions of agile methodology than really necessary. I did find a couple of aspects of the style a bit wearing: 1) the unending Lisa's story/Janet's story examples which I guess were named that way in conscious echo of agile terminology, but which I found really twee and largely unhelpful ("Lisa did x and then everything was perfect!" ...more
André Heijstek
Apr 21, 2014 André Heijstek rated it did not like it
Shelves: agile, engineering, it
Far too many motherhood statements and far too little actionable advice.
Boris
Feb 04, 2014 Boris rated it it was ok
This book would benefit from reediting in an attempt to make it more to the point with less text.
Gloria
May 02, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it
I read the book since it was recommended reading from the Project Management Institute. This books is a real resource of information on testing. The book helps to understand how not to backload projects so that testing is done at the very last minute. I not only like the book, but I think Lisa and Janet are really experts and I now follow everything they say on testing.

I am not a testing specialist. I manage projects. The number one challenge in Information Technology (IT) projects is to deliver
Edward
Nov 05, 2012 Edward rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
A nice addition to agile literature that focuses on testing aspects of an agile project. The authors emphasize how testing on an agile project should be quite a different and much more collaborative experience than what most "manual" testers experience on traditional "waterfall" projects. The authors break down testing into four types: Supports Team, Business Facing, Tech Facing and Critique Product. From here they create four quadrants.

Q1: Tech Facing tests that Support the Team: these are most
Mark Wheeler
Mar 02, 2016 Mark Wheeler rated it liked it
I read this book as the project I was working on was moving into an intense testing phase with a growing team of testers. There was also a need to report test status to a high profile customer.
This book gave me the knowledge and confidence to lead the test team and deliver appropriate test status information to my customer.
Robert Chapman
Nov 19, 2014 Robert Chapman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
This book does an excellent job of describing the real requirements of a successful Agile process. It covered a lot of Agile in general, but had a very tight focus on Agile as it relates to testing as well.

All around great book, I recommend it.
Joel Liriano
Apr 21, 2014 Joel Liriano rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This is exactly where to start for anything related to testing in Agile teams. It's a great guide that I keep coming back to for reference under different circumstances. Definitely a must have for any Agile team and software QAs.
Kristi
Dec 11, 2015 Kristi rated it really liked it
A clear introduction to the agile methodology that elaborates enough on the procedures and ceremonies without being redundant. Good read for those just starting out in agile.
Bob Schatz
This book just made it to one of my MUST reads for agile teams. I wouldn't limit it to testers either. Everyone can benefit by having this one on hand!!
Alex
Jul 15, 2014 Alex rated it did not like it
Book was written in ime when Agile was a buzz-words.
Good way to present ideas, unfortunately - no interesting ideas in this book.
Nick Zdunic
Feb 17, 2014 Nick Zdunic rated it really liked it
Good and thorough and does have a tendency to repeat itself (not overly bad thing in this vase)
Not for technical practices though
Raj Thota
Mar 30, 2014 Raj Thota rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
A great book on putting testing in the right spot under Agile. But as a practical guide, the authors could have added examples for helping the readers.
queli
Mar 03, 2015 queli rated it it was amazing
...a new mind-set is needed; as a team. Great perspective.
Jose
Oct 25, 2015 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great as this explains Agile Testing quite well
Francois
Aug 10, 2014 Francois rated it really liked it
yet another brillant book form Lisa Crispin.
Agile Kindergarten
Feb 05, 2013 Agile Kindergarten rated it it was amazing
Pragmatic and meaty, this tome provides the QA professional with multiple and nuanced perspectives on what it means to be a Tester. Honestly, it's too much to absorb all at once. This is a book you have to read in stages. From Acceptance-Test Driven Development for coding to Test Driven Design for architecting, Crispin & Gregory provide practical advice and readable examples how to transform your QA Team into an Agile Team.
gramakri
Oct 29, 2012 gramakri rated it really liked it
A very significant contribution to agile literature which educates programmers and testers as well as their managers on how to appreciate one another's work and collaboratively work towards integrating testing activities as a part and parcel of an agile process.

Read an extended summary of this book at
Chris
Nov 18, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Across the SCRUM discipline, I think a team coming from a waterfall background struggles most adapting to agile testing principles. 'Agile Testing' offers a great introduction to team on how to start incorporating new paradigm-shifting practices into their releases. As always, the Cohn book series on SCRUM delivers great value.
Jaakko Kourula
Jan 07, 2014 Jaakko Kourula rated it really liked it
Comprehensive look into what is testing in an agile context.
Melvin
Jun 08, 2014 Melvin rated it it was ok
Shelves: agile
This is book is too shallow. The key ideas in this book would take no more than half of the pages in the book. A great deal of the content is basically generic agile development ideas you could find better explained in other books.
Ronald Rajagukguk
Jan 03, 2013 Ronald Rajagukguk rated it liked it
quite usefull as a guideline for tester who want to applies the agile principle in their day to day job. This book is not too technical and gave a lot of real world example on how the tester can involve in the agile team.
Matthew Kern
Jun 08, 2014 Matthew Kern rated it really liked it
Great intro to testing in an agile way. There is some direct application, but you will need to take the concepts and apply them to wherever you are working.
Mike Klein
Nov 12, 2011 Mike Klein rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Agile methodology and testing's role. Sometimes it is too dogmatic and sometimes it is a little vague, but mostly it is a great resource.
Mar 22, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Another work related book. For anyone that works in IT and deals with testing in Agile Teams it is a good book - i took some useful tips from it
Martijn de Vrieze
Jan 11, 2011 Martijn de Vrieze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-books
Great book which is both informative and highly readable at the same time, an unlikely combination for a practical guide :)
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Specification by Example
  • Agile Coaching
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
  • Perfect Software--And Other Illusions about Testing
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Agile Software Development
  • How to Break Software: A Practical Guide to Testing
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »