Start by marking “Minority Report and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Minority Report and Other Stories

Minority Report and Other Stories

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,806 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews

Viewed by many as the greatest science fiction writer on any planet, Philip K. Dick has written some of the most intriguing, original and thought-provoking fiction of our time. This collection includes stories that will make you lough, cringe...and stop and think.

The Minority Report: a special unit that employs those with the power of precognition to prevent crimes proves

Audiobook, 6 pages
Published May 28th 2002 by HarperAudio (first published January 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Minority Report and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minority Report and Other Stories

Stuart
Minority Report and Other Stories: 4 PKD stories that inspired movies
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Philip K. Dick is the classic case of a brilliant but struggling artist who only got full recognition after he passed away. Despite publishing an incredible 44 novels and 121 stories during his lifetime, it was not until the Ridley Scott film Blade Runner was released in 1982 that PKD gained more mainstream attention, and sadly he died before being able to see the final theatrical release.
Lyn
Nov 08, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
Minority Report and Other Stories by Philip K. Dick is classic PKD and well worth the short time to read.

Composed of the title story, We Can Remember it for You Wholesale, Paycheck, Second Variety and The Eyes Have It; it is a great read for a PKD fan and would be a great introduction for a new reader of his works. What is difficult to imagine is how far ahead of his time he was, and like so many other artists with this kind of anachronistic genius he paid for it in poverty.

Three of the storie
seak
Aug 17, 2015 seak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just picked this book up the other day and dove right in. I doubt I'll be reading the whole thing all at once, I like to slowly enjoy short story collections one at a time, but I'll update as I read more.

We Can Remember it for You Wholesale (3.5/5 Stars)

The inspiration for the film, Total Recall, was quite a bit different than expected. It starts about the same, but for a 22 or so page short story it can't begin to go to the lengths the movie goes as far as plot ... goes. I liked it, but the
Emanuela
Jan 03, 2015 Emanuela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ottima lettura per cominciare il nuovo anno.
L'ho iniziato per "Minority Report" di cui non ho visto il film; provvederò al più presto. Il racconto è splendido con quel finale che mette in discussione le visioni dei precog, correlando le une alle altre con la variabile di conoscenza del soggetto inquisito. Geniale, ma conoscendo la raffinatezza geometrica dell'autore, nemmeno tanto sorprendente.

Degli altri mi è piaciuto molto "La formica elettrica"del 1953, in cui c'è il tema della autocoscienza
Stephen
May 13, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Five really good stories are included in this audio collection.

1. The Minority Report: An excellent story that has some significant differences from the movies version (which I also thought was pretty good)

2. We Can Remember It For You Wholesale: Almost completely different in tone and content than the movie "Total Recall" on which this story is based. I liked the movie, but loved the story.

3. Paycheck: A very good story though not as good as the other two.

4. Second Variety
The Eyes Have It (1953) 4.5/5
Spinster
Sep 12, 2015 Spinster rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? a while ago, wasn't impressed, and since then I've received complaints about not liking Dick. I thought I'd give it another go with this audiobook but it appears I'm just not feeling Dick. I liked the concepts of these short stories, partly the execution too, but I don't think Dick is for me and that's that.

Some details in all the stories felt outdated, which is understandable, but it bugged me that space colonies were a thing and yet these technocrats
Jay
Oct 21, 2014 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Five quick short stories, science fiction with an O. Henry twist. Two seem to have double or triple twists, so Dick was perfecting on the O. Henry experience. My favorite of the bunch was "Second Variety", about war robots building better war robots. The combat and war writing felt like other war books I've read, but with the science fiction twist. The others bring up some interesting concepts, especially "The Minority Report", with the absolute prediction of future crimes, allowing them to be ...more
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jan 12, 2014 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This collection of short stories contains Minority Report, Total Recall, Paycheck and Screamers. So it quite a good collection, highly recommended to anyone that even slightly enjoyed just one of those movies. However the stories are different than the movies, quite different in some cases. The funny thing is, this is only the second book of Philip K. Dick's I have read, and the other I didn't enjoy that much. However this turned me into a fan. I can't wait to read more of his books.
Zeo
Jul 31, 2012 Zeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook version contains:
The Minority Report
We Can Remember it for You Wholesale
Paycheck
Second Variety
The Eyes Have It

This is kind of a book of short stories in two acts. It's carried by a question of human control by larger bodies, exploring several possibilities through that. (And PKD is as sexist as I discovered him to be when I first tried reading him years ago with The Dark-Haired Girl, but I was prepared this time!)

The first act is the first three stories, and these focus on memory. The
Amy
I reviewed each of the stories in this collection separately, so this review will just pertain to this collection as a whole. Prior to this, the only other Philip K. Dick story I had read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, so I wasn't really at all familiar with this author's work. Minority Report and Other Stories covered a nice range of work, from classic sci-fi, to dystopian world building, to Cold War allegory, to Poe-like suspense/horror. This was, I'd say, a good introductory sample ...more
Chris
I have always wanted to, but never have (til now) read some of Philip K Dick's stories. I'm glad I finally did. I enjoyed most of the stories in this small anthology, though the last one The Eyes Have It (which was VERY short) I didn't really get into.

Minority Report was good, but a little spartan in it's descriptive prose. I would say across all of the stories, the ideas were really great, but the stories could use a little more fleshing out with character and setting. I liked the movie version
Rob
When I originally added these books, it was on Living Social's virtual bookshelf. They didn't seem to have this collection, so I added the titles I could remember as separate entries. I'm simply cleaning them up, since this is what I listened to. Copy/pasting the little bit of (and mostly useless) comments I had on the books.

Overall rating is a 4. I enjoyed most of these stories.

Minority Report

Pretty good short story. Rather different from the movie, which I also enjoyed. I rated this a 4.

Payche
Jeff
Aug 05, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok
This book consists of 4 short stories. I know science fiction geeks think Dick is one of the greatest in the genre but I’m still not sold. 3 of these stories we’re made into movies; The Minority Report, Paycheck the basis for Total Recall and Second Variety which was the basis of the movie Screamers. The last story in the book, The Eyes Have It was the most uninteresting of the 3 and thankfully it didn’t go any farther than print.

I think I said this after I listened to Blade Runner I’ll say the
Nataliea
Aug 08, 2015 Nataliea rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Philip K Dick stories but since there are several collections let me share my thoughts on each of the stories here separately:
The Minority Report (****) - I found the story much more interesting and plausible than the movie but the characters are not as captivating.
We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (***) - nice story.
Paycheck (****) - I really liked this one, all Philip K. Dick stories I read so far have a perfect closure, so I came to expect that. What makes this story stick o
Lavecchiastrega
Vergine della visione del film Minority Report, ho letto "Rapporto di minoranza ed altre storie" con interesse.
Dick è bravo a descrivere mondi fantascientifici, è stato un innovatore nel campo della fantascienza, come nel caso dell'invenzione letteraria dell'androide-replicante, che scopre di esserlo dopo aver vissuto un'intera vita da umano, idea successivamente ampiamente saccheggiata dagli epigoni.

I racconti, scritti negli anni '50-60 presentano numerose intuizioni che poi si sarebbero realiz

Buck Ward
Jun 01, 2014 Buck Ward rated it really liked it
This collection includes:

The Minority Report
We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
Paycheck
Second Variety
The Eyes Have It

They made movies of a couple of these: The MInirity Report and Total Recall. The movies were good but a bit different from the stories; Action movies - what would you expect with stars like Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The stories have less action but more irony. Paycheck and Second Variety are similar in nature - with the signature PKD twists. THe Eyes Have It is short
Jen
Jan 10, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but there is something rather special about Philip K. Dick's writing. He writes Sci Fi in the truest sense, the affect of scientific and technological advances. Much like Charlie Brooker's TV series Black Mirror, these stories give us a glimpse of a near future dystopia where technology turns against us.

The stories adapted for the films Minority Report and Total Recall were much changed but the originals, like Blade Runner vs Do Androids Dream of Electric
Evelyn
Despite my love of all things sci-fi, I had never read anything by the great master Philip K. Dick before, and Minority Report was the first book that I spotted on the shelf when I decided to rectify this situation. I didn't realise that Minority Report itself was a short story, and so this edition also features eight other shorts including several which have been made into films.

Every story in this compilation is strong, and I can now see why so many people have such a high regard for PKD's wor
Giacomo Boccardo
Dec 10, 2012 Giacomo Boccardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cosa hanno in comune "Minority Report", "Atto di Forza" (Total Recall), "Blade Runner" e "Screamers"? Sono quattro celebri film che hanno segnato (diciamo i primi tre, più che altro) l'immaginario collettivo degli amanti della fantascienza. Ecco, quei film, e più o meno direttamente diversi altri, sono tratti da racconti di questo Philip K. Dick (di cui solo il primo ed il quarto sono presenti in questa piccola antologia). Però sarei pronto a scommettere che pochi lo conoscono. Non saprei ...more
Mace
Nov 30, 2016 Mace rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, 2016
Fun fact: this book only exists as an audiobook.

A nice collection of short stories that pack quite a bit in their brief duration. The last story, the only one not turned into a movie, is hilarious.
Ruth Paszkiewicz
Oct 23, 2016 Ruth Paszkiewicz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of very interesting short stories, the influence of which can be seen in many Hollywood films. A great mixture of conspiracy theory, sharp wit, philosophical musing and unique imagination.
Zac H.
Nov 15, 2016 Zac H. rated it it was amazing
My first taste of Dick (pun possibly intended). Great experience.
John Van Fossen
Oct 04, 2016 John Van Fossen rated it liked it
Never new Total Recall was loosely based on a PKD short story
Stambergadinchiostro
Quante volte non capita che racconti di noti autori vengano trasposti sul grande schermo? E quante volte non sono proprio queste ultime a mettere la pulce nell’orecchio tanto da spingere una persona a cercare il racconto da cui è tratto? Quello che vi presento oggi è il caso di Minority Report. Con un film di successo e a breve una serie televisiva, questo titolo è diventato un’icona del genere fantascientifico, ma cos’è che rende davvero speciale il Rapporto di minoranza?

In un futuro non molto
Sunil
Mar 08, 2013 Sunil rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I've been meaning to actually read Philip K. Dick for a while, and I am pretty sure I read "The Minority Report" and "Paycheck" a long time ago, so when I saw the movie cash-in Minority Report and Other Stories (read by Keir Dullea), I figured it was a perfect chance to become more acquainted with Dick.

"The Minority Report" (a.k.a. Minority Report) plays with predetermination and precognition in a fun way by exploring the world of precrime, where murders are stopped before they happen on the bas
Bebabi34
Apr 08, 2015 Bebabi34 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rapporto di minoranza (Racconto lungo, The Minority Report, 1957) di Philip Kindred Dick

Impostore (Racconto, Impostor, 1953) di Philip Kindred Dick

Modello Due (Racconto lungo, Second Variety, 1953) di Philip Kindred Dick
Traduzione di Paolo Prezzavento

Ricordiamo per voi (Racconto, We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, 1966) di Philip Kindred Dick

La formica elettrica (
Stefano Zorba
Jun 09, 2016 Stefano Zorba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rapporto di minoranza e altri racconti è una raccolta dei racconti di Philip K. Dick da cui sono stati tratti film, pubblicato da Fanucci Editore nel 2002.

I racconti sono:

Rapporto di minoranza, da cui è stato tratto il film Minority Report del 2002, diretto da Steven Spielberg con Tom Cruise e Colin Farrell
Impostore, da cui è stato tratto il film Impostor del 2001, diretto da Gary Fleder con Gary Sinise e Madeleine Stowe;
Modello Due, da cui è stato tratto il film Screamers - Urla dallo spazio de
Joel
May 29, 2013 Joel rated it really liked it
This review and rating are only for the short story "The Minority Report" and not for the entire collection of short stories contained in the book.

I was impressed by the complexity in such a short story. Certainly when an author has the advantages of "precogs" and alternate futures there is a greater source of complexity. However, these elements create their own problems; primarily finding a way to make these alternate realities function as part of the plot rather than outrageous plot devices.

Th
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • We're Alive: A Story of Survival, the First Season
  • Il ciclo delle Fondazioni
  • Press Enter
  • The Woods #1
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Final Blackout: A Futuristic War Novel
  • Racconti del terrore
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 3: The Fear Machine (Hellblazer New Edition, # 3)
  • What Mad Universe
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • The Traveler
  • The Dreaming Jewels
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...