Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)

Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Tony Valentine made his living and his name as a cop in Atlantic City-and is now known worldwide for his ability to spot the kinds of scams, grifts, and rip-offs that cost casinos billions every year. A man with a biting wit who drives a '92 Honda, Tony is low-profile, old-school, and has seen it all-until he meets the luckiest man on earth.
Ricky Smith was once a small-to...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Random House Audio

Alex
MR. LUCKY, (Pub. 2005) by James Swain was my third read of this author's works, and I am still loving this guy. I'm buzzing through the books my library has, and will then be plunking down my hard-earned cash for his new books as they come out. He's catapulted his way onto my top five favorite authors list, and that is no easy trick because I've been a huge book fan my whole life, and am now a very picky reader.

What I like best about all of Swain's stories is the different angle he takes. MR. L...more
Maddy
RATING: 3.0
SETTING: North Carolina
SERIES: #5

Ricky Smith is having an incredible run of good luck. While playing blackjack at the Riverside Casino in Las Vegas, he wins $20,000. He's in his room with a beautiful woman who has been him amazingly attractive, when the hotel goes on fire. The only way out is through the window, but it's almost certain death from 5 stories up. Ricky lands on a mattress in the pool and survives. Feeling almost invincible, he goes on a gambling spree at another casino a...more
Like Swain's other Tony Valentine mysteries, you're not going to be reading this one for the superior prose. Swain's writing is functional at best, and his incidental characters tend to say incredibly convenient things at incredibly convenient times.

What makes the Valentine novels fun, though, is the great plot pacing, and the abundant clever ruses and cheats that Valentine has to unravel as he goes. Lots of behind-the-scenes tidbits from casino security's point of view, along with plenty of cla...more
Gary
First I read of James Swain and his hero Tony Valentine. Not bad, a very little Carl Hiassen like humor with a healthy dose of James Patterson or John Sandford mixed in. The hook in this book is that the hero chases casino cheats and it is very interesting how he outlines various ways that casinos get ripped off while chasing a suspect that he is stumped on how he won 1 million dollars in 1 night at a Vegas casino.

In real life Mr. Swain is touted an authority on crooked gambling and cheating an...more
Nancywboca
The rating should be 3.5 stars...I really liked this book and enjoyed the plot and characters. I loved reading about all the casino scams. This book had all the right elements to be a solid 4 star but the ending was not as good as it could have been so it was really 3.5 stars. Also the book had many sub-plots going on that it was pretty choppy at times. Even with the flaws just mentioned, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.
Zach
Pretty good. Swain uses a variety of POVs and plots to keep the story moving. The conculsion is a little far-fetched but the story is entertaining enough that many will forgive this. Also, for those who have an interest in gambling, Swain provides interesting details about how people attempt to scam casinos and how the casinos attempt to stop them.
Susan
Tony Valentine is back at it again chasing down gambling cheats. Ricky Smith is the big winner. He can't lose. And no one can figure out how. So they call Tony. This series is just delightful. The characters are all wonderful. And this time, I 'read' the CD version and the reader, Paul Boehmet, is just perfection.
Jackie
Tony Valentine investigates swindling at casinos. When the "luckiest" man in the world wins a bundle in Vegas Valentine is on the job to try and find his scams. A little mystery, some fine twists in the story and some humor on the side.
Candace
This one keeps you guessing. Apparently it is the fifth in the series but I don't feel like I missed anything with just picking this one up. The characters are all intriguing and James Swain knows how to keep the story going.
Peg
Fun, fast paced read that kept me going through out. Bob, as you mention, the relationship between father and son is great to watch - however I really like watching Gerry grow.
Tom
Entertaining. Reads almost like a comic book. It is about gambling and cheating the games. I have always been somewhat interested in gambling.
David Himes
The most mysterious part was revelations about how gambling scams work, but the story overall left me wondering why I read it.
Skip
Another Tony Valentine novel, where he has to determine how one guy can win everywhere: Vegas, horses, lotteries, etc.
Tom Park
This was a good read. Interesting characters. Liked the way Swain developed the plot with a couple of twists thrown in.
Harry Lane
Fast paced, intriguing characters. One of the series' best features is the "slant" of dealing with scams.
Pete
This is an entertaining book and the story is more cohesive than that in Midnight Rambler.
Christie Terry
I listened to this on Audio, my husband did as well and we both liked it.
Andrew
Standard fare, guilty pleasure, modern day pulp...
Dominick
Nov 10, 2008 Dominick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dominick by: John S. passed it on to me
so far, so good. It's a quick paced read.
Tim
Tony read
Adam
Adam added it
May 30, 2014
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Inherit the Dead
  • Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)
  • A Drink Before the War/Darkness, Take My Hand
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • The House Without a Key (Charlie Chan, #1)
  • Fade
  • Exact Revenge
  • Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • Mr. Phillips
  • Foul Matter
  • The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)
James Swain is the national best selling author of fourteen mystery novels, and has been published in the United States, France, Japan, Russia, Germany and Bulgaria. His books have been chosen as Mysteries of the Year by Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews, and have received three Barry Award nominations, a Florida Book Award for Fiction, and France’s prestigious Prix Calibre .38 for Best Americ...more
More about James Swain...
Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1) Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1) The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3) Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3) The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)