Start by marking “Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)

Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon #5)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  12,959 Ratings  ·  503 Reviews
Few recent thriller writers have excited the kind of critical praise that Daniel Silva has, with his novels featuring art restorer and sometime spy Gabriel Allon.
Now Allon is back in Venice, when a terrible explosion in Rome leads to a disturbing personal revelation: the existence of a dossier in the hands of terrorists that strips away his secrets, lays bare his history
Published February 22nd 2005 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Fire

Susan
May 09, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. Going to have to take a break from this series. Am beginning to suspect even the dachshunds are spies.
JoAnn
Dec 02, 2009 JoAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the best book that Silva has done. There is lots of history in this book. Most of this is correct and it is in keeping with what actually happened in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Unfortunately, it takes away from the story. The story almost seems secondary to the historical perspective of the story line. Even though it is a Gabriel Allon book, it seems that there is lack of focus in this book, where it drifts along. Not as focused or as quick moving as the rest of the Silva books
Tim
Jan 29, 2017 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The end is the best part of this novel. The toll of lives along the way is painful. 5 of 10 stars
Ric
Apr 18, 2013 Ric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a more serious book than any of the later books in the series (at least, of the ones I've read). Daniel Silva is more evidently on a soapbox, linking more of the story's fiction to his version of history and reality. Unfortunately, this reminds me of efforts such as The Da Vinci Code in which the author professes that the fiction is based on facts --- but which facts, and whose interpretation of facts? As with the scientific method, which eschews all aspects of bias in its blind test, an

Mark
Feb 06, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers
Recommended to Mark by: the series as written by Daniel Silva
This 5th thriller in the Gabriel Allon sees a change as Allons alter ega gets outed and he has to leave Venice and live in Israel. In the opening of this book the embassy of Israel in Rome is hit by an murderous attack with a high bodycount, and of course Allon with a small team gets picked to figure out who is behind it. Of course they quickley find a possible lead and when they follow it Gabriel Allon finds himself under fire.

This book is a decent thriller, and in my humble opinion a failure i
Christiana Moffa
Mar 13, 2007 Christiana Moffa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of history
This books goes deeper into Gabriel's past and delves into his open emotional wounds about his wife, son, lover... it is simply remarkable as the reader learns that Gabriel was a young assassin chosen to be a part of the Black September operation. If you've seen "Munich", you'll love this story!
Terri Pickett
I didn't love the book but it's context was compelling. It's fictional but includes many factual elements related to Israeli-Palestinian conflict/history. I learned a lot in reading it and feel such compassion for both sides.
Peter
Nov 16, 2014 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fifth book of Daniel Silva’s series featuring art-restorer and Israeli avenger Gabriel Allon shows in small ways his growth as a writer. In Prince of Fire, the technical aspects of the plot play second fiddle to the people side of the story, although the plot doesn’t lack for suspense or mystery.

The ongoing battle against Palestinian terrorism plays itself out on the battlefield of Allon’s guilt over the loss of his son and the injury suffered by his wife Leah. An incidental consequence of h
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest installment of the Gabriel Allon novels is great, perhaps the best to date. If you enjoy political intrigue, well rounded characters, suspense and good writing pick up a volume in this series by Daniel Silva. What makes these novels so good is the humanness that Silva injects into his characters. Though they find themselves in extraordinary circumstances you can relate to their very human feelings and actions. The small details are what make Gabriel such an interesting main character. ...more
Shawn
The more of the Allon series I read, the more I like it. It is a good balance of action, behind-the-scenes spy-exploits, and character development. Allon's character is fascinating, primarily with how he deals with the damage to his psyche that his job has had on him. I also like that while the book is clearly on the Israeli side of things, it doesn't shy away from telling the Palestinian side of the conflict. It doesn't cast all Arabs as evil and doesn't paint the Israelis as squeaky clean ange ...more
Dina
Jan 06, 2013 Dina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-recently
A very familiar topic for me having been raised in Israel.
The story is typical about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and was well researched. Yet, in some ways I found the book to be similar to others I have read of the genre…a bombing of a Jewish community center in Rome and several other targeted terrorist attacks unleashing Gabriel Allon on a mission to avenge the killings.
It actually is more complex than that but enough said. …..
I enjoyed reading about familiar places and topics and would
Maria Carmo
Once again, I loved this book. In this new Allon adventure the psychological analysis of the main characters goes deeper, emotions are more visible, the theme of values and fidelity comes forth with renewed vigor and therefore I enjoyed more than the previous two. Also, the Author is always very careful to voice both the Israeli and Palestinian sides, albeit showing his perspective.
Gabriel continues to be the tortured man precociously aged from his responsibilities as a member of the Department.
Antoaneta Vassileva
Another very good book of Daniel Silva. A lot of historical facts in this one which I like actually-makes the story more real and provoke me to check and read about Arafat and the Israelly leaders and great minds. The book also provoked some new questions regarding this never-ending war in this part of the world - a Holly land but unfortunately no Peace on it...
Nabarun
Apr 15, 2014 Nabarun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd Allon book and I must say I am addicted to Silva's creation of Allon. I know that Silva's writing projects that the Israeli spy Allon and Israeli intelligence is almost and always the best in the world, which might feel bit stereotyped in all his novel, but then I don't read Allon series to debate over world politics. I read them because they are absolutely riveting, doesn't spare a dull moment and always keeps me at the edge of the seat and compels me to finish them otherwise I c ...more
Kathleen Valentine
Sep 09, 2009 Kathleen Valentine rated it really liked it
I find Gabriel Allon to be one of the most interesting, multi-dimensional characters in contemporary literature and Silva's writing to be deep, thoughtful, compassionate and poetic. In Prince of Fire we find Allon in a bad situation, his cover as an art restorer is blown and he has to abandon the work that he loves in Venice. One of the things I love most about Silva's writing is that he manages to alternate illuminating, in-depth background passages with breathless, fast-paced sequences. I find ...more
Julie Johnson
Oct 22, 2011 Julie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually a reader of spy thrillers but I picked this one up at the library on a whim and I'm very glad I did. I was sucked in from the get go and could hardly put the book down.

Gabriel is a great character, very much a 'reluctant hero', the plot is complex but not so complicated you can't follow it, the cast of characters are various yet distinct. Some very interesting personalities in this book!

The writing in this has a light touch, sparse enough that its not too heavy handed & bogg
Kris
I'm giving up on Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series, I just can't like the protagonist, Gabriel. He's about as interesting as a cardboard cut out... and has as much personality as one as well. Silva wants him to be tortured and broody but he's just flat and boring. Now that I've read Barry Eisler's John Rain books I just can't make myself slog through Gabriel's apathy. The only characters in the series that are interesting are secondary characters like the Pope and Julian Isherwood.

The fact th
Ada Iaboni
Nov 06, 2014 Ada Iaboni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The next set of Gabriel Allon's adventures and this one did not disappoint. Our hero and main character, Gabriel is the reluctant fighter for justice and the Jewish way of life and, their own land.
I knew some of the Jewish struggles regarding their land and their desire to have a place to be and raise their families. Reading these books, has given me a much better idea of that struggle and how many countries would do them harm. I was raised Catholic, but don't follow any religion much because I
Msjodi777
Mar 14, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that others have reviewed this book harshly because of the history in it, but I think that I liked it more because of the history. Of course the fact that I was alive and could remember some of that historical background - sometimes vaguely, sometimes vividly - might have a bit to do with why I enjoyed it.

But, I've liked the other books leading up to this one, and was interested in knowing a bit more about the character of Gabriel Allon. This book is different from the first four, becaus
B.R. Stateham
Oct 25, 2012 B.R. Stateham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listen, there is no such thing as a 'bad' Gabriel Allon book! That Mossad agent is one tough dude! And Daniel Silva's writing is about as smooth as it can get. When you read something effortlessly as you do a Allon novel, you know both talent and hard work went into the writing.

As for a Gabriel Allon goes, the man is an intellectual version of Jason Bourne or James Bond. And just as deadly. You need to read this series. Seriously. You won't be disappointed.
Nuno Peralta
Jul 18, 2016 Nuno Peralta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O quinto livro da série Allon e, aparentemente, o livro que marca uma mudança na narrativa. Além disso, continuo a aprender bastante sobre o conflito israelo-árabe, o que torna os livros ainda mais interessantes! Vamos então para o sexto capítulo!

PS: É impossível não fazer um paralelismo entre muitos dos atentados ficcionados nesta série e muitos que infelizmente vamos vendo na realidade...
Oct 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Allon's cover is blown at the start of this next installment of the series, which sets him off on a course to find the masterminds who have his whole life story and an appetite for terrorist attacks. Liked this one a lot.
Katherine
I really didn't care for this one. Perhaps if the end (info on the reason for the story) of the book had been given first I might have liked it better. The whole thing with his wife was not necessary and if left out would have been a better story.
Ron
Aug 16, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my re-read of the Allon novels. I had forgotten some of the details and was glad to re-read the novel to remind myself of them.
Feb 23, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silva's voice shines through in his writing, which is an amazing blend of intrigue and suspense. I enjoyed this book right down to the final author's note.
Kerry
Aug 03, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Excellent. As always.
Mark Easter
Dec 21, 2012 Mark Easter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Amazon.com Review

Product Description
Gabriel Allon faces his most determined enemy-and greatest challenge-in the stunning novel from the world-class practitioner of spy fiction.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Daniel Silva on Gabriel Allon and the "Accidental Series"

Writers tend to be solitary creatures. We toil alone for months on end, then, once a year, we emerge from our dens to publish a book. It can be a daunting experience, especially for someone like me, who is not gregarious and outgoing b

Susan
Mar 19, 2017 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(For the Book Group)
This author has a series that follows art restorer/reluctant spy Gabriel Allon, and this one finds him in Rome, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Cairo, Paris, etc., etc.
He's drawn into a case that tries to prevent catastrophic terroristic plots whose mastermind uses Gabriel's disabled wife, Leah, as bait. She was wounded in a car bomb that was meant for him.

The first half of this novel bogged down for me in the history of the region, and naming characters with connections I had to glaze
Rose Ardanaz
Another great read - by Daniel Silva. His writing style involves great action, with what must be and endless amount of research and investigation into historic events, and cities. The Israeli-Palestinian history and turmoil is well handled in “The Prince of Fire”, and he delves deep into Gabriel Allon’s life and background in this one. I have enjoyed all of his seven books that I have read so far, some just a little more than others.

His writing style requires a break from book to book for me, as
Kelsey
Feb 09, 2017 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay and was interesting enough, but it was not fantastic. It is similar in style to the Da Vinci Code series, but it was not written as well as the books in that series. I read that the author said that this series could be read out of order, but I wouldn't say that that is entirely true. Although I was able to pick up on the story eventually, it was difficult to understand what was going on at the beginning of the story without having read the other books in the series.
  • The Shadow Patrol (John Wells, #6)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond, #2)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • An American Spy (The Tourist, #3)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • Warlord (Alexander Hawke, #6)
  • The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)

“If you live to seek revenge, dig a grave for two. ANCIENT JEWISH PROVERB” 3 likes
“Signed his name with his left hand, held a paintbrush with his right, handled his knife and fork with either. And his Beretta? Thankfully, Isherwood did not know the answer to that.” 0 likes