Start by marking “Living Out Loud” as Want to Read:
Living Out Loud

Living Out Loud

"A panopticon of life in this decade, sure to be valuable to future social historians She touches on life, love, home, family, work, men, women, children and issues large and small."
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
The voice is Anna Quindlen's. But we know the hopes, dreams, fears, and wonder expressed in all her columns, for most of us share them. With her NEW YORK TIMES-based column, "LIF
Published March 8th 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Living Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Out Loud

Kelsey Stewart
Jul 02, 2009 Kelsey Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, I want to be Anna Quindlen. Her voice, her style, her empathy, her vision - I am in awe of her. I wish I could hang out with her just for an afternoon, with the hopes of becoming a little more like her simply through osmosis.
Shannan
Apr 30, 2011 Shannan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, here is what I think about this book. It was great, but about two years too late for my life. This book was written in the late 80's by the great Anna Quindlen and I love her. This book was written when she was relatively the age I am now and I thought I could relate quite well to this work. Ehhh.
I just didn't find myself running to this book. Each chapter is quite short (about 3-5 pages) and so abrupt. And to be honest, the material was a little dated. If you must read women who write sh
Lettie Cox
I've liked AQ's writing for a while now. This is a series of short stories. Pretty good but I found myself skimming by the end.
King
Aug 02, 2011 King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a mere wee lad I never got anything in the mail. I thought it a bit unfair that mom, dad and occasionally my sister would get stuff from the mail but not I. I thought if you had mail with your name on it, you were somebody. Now of course I know that getting stuff in the mail is over rated. And though it is sort of true that getting mail made you somebody, more often than not, you were merely a "somebody who owed someone else money." But prior to all these revelations, one of the first ...more
Jul 01, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
after a day of hearing a bunch of unhappy 50-something year old women complain about men, about dying alone and growing older, and a lot of other uplifting stuff, i came home and saw my mom had checked this book out of the library. im hoping that its a positive, less wrist-cutting inducing discussion of being a woman than the previous "advice" i had been exposed to.

i mean, this is the inscription, so that alone was worth it: "To take what there is, and use it, without waiting forever in vain for
Nancy
Apr 12, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Having read Blessings and How Reading Changed My Life earlier in the summer, I decided to request Living Out Loud (LOL) from the library. Though it came about 100 pages into The Group by Mary McCarthy, I started reading LOL as soon as I picked it up on Thursday when Sam and I were at the library for the Battle of the Books. I love the way Anna Quindlen writes and I can identify with her so much, though I don’t always agree with her and we have very, very different lives. The collection of short ...more
Stacy
Apr 16, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Quindlen’s columns that she wrote for The New York Times starting in 1986 until the book was published in 1988. The columns range from her looking back to growing up in the 1960′s to her raising her own children. I found that I really couldn’t connect with much of these columns. There was such a focus on being a woman and what that meant for her in relation to feminism, having a career and children that I felt like I was past the birth cut-off for optimal reading enjoyment. It wa ...more
Michelle
I really enjoyed this book; a collection of her nationally syndicated "Life in the 30's" columns. We would have been great friends and I enjoyed her thoughts very much even if I didn't always agree. Some columns brought tears to my eyes, others made me want to write her a letter immediately, others made me want to explain a point of view. It wasn't a story you could get lost in because each bit was so short. This was good when I was busy as it provided one or two great ideas to mull over but it ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone except ultra conservatives who don't like getting upset
I adore Anna Quindlen. My favorite books are her compilations of columns, such as this one. (The only novel of hers I’ve thought was spectacular is Black and Blue.) She writes very well, thoughtfully and often with humor about everything personal, cultural, political, etc. in such a way that it’s easy for (so many, not just me) to feel as though she’d be a wonderful friend. I highly recommend these columns to all except those who are extremely conservative perhaps.
Katie
Jun 19, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the pieces in this collection are entertaining and a few are easy to identify with and feel the author is talking directly to you. However, my overall impression was a disappointing "know it all" feel from the writing. I generally love to read about other women's experiences with marriage, working, motherhood, and balance but this didn't touch me the way I'd hoped.
Phyllis Brett
Sep 08, 2012 Phyllis Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of Anna Quindlen's columns from when she wrote for the New York Times. Smart, funny, interesting and insightful. She covers everything from current events and politics to life as a working mother. May be a little dated now, but this and her other compilation book "Loud and Clear" is what hooked me on her as my favorite contemporary author.
Amy
Mar 21, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Bumma gave me this a while back, and I have kept it in my car as the book to read while waiting for the school bus to arrive, or in carpool line etc. I really enjoyed the majority of the book. Only the last section or so, were less appealing to me- not that I disagree with what she was saying, but I guess I'm more into mom stuff and family stuff than politics.
Jiyoung Park
Good to read before getting married or having children. I cant't even imagine about being a mother, but it helps me a bit what it would like to be as a working mom. Slight old fashioned since it's written 20 years ago.
Ally
Jan 27, 2015 Ally rated it it was amazing
I really think I would read anything this woman wrote, anything. My neck gets sore when I read as I nod in rapid succession, agreeing with everything she says. I think she might be my best friend, but I bet I'm not the only woman who thinks that.
Michele
Mar 16, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my 20th time reading this book, but the first on this side of having two kids, and Anna's essays continue to resonate. I'd love to see her go back and annotate a few of the pieces about her kids, to see what stands out about those experiences now, with 30 years distance.
Deborah
I don't remember this book, which is very strange for me. I have no recollection of it and no idea what it's about. But apparently I read it because it's on my list that I keep in the back of my journals...
Phyllis
Aug 20, 2008 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Anna Quindlen. I am sure it is partly because she and I see eye-to-eye on so many things. I find that she writes about everyday issues and always challenges me to think about those issues in new ways.
Ayelet Waldman
I'm reading her to try to figure out this column-writing business,
both on a technical level, and on an emotional level. Maybe I'll learn
how to construct a column that will not result in me being burned at
the stake. Or maybe not.
Dottie
Apr 20, 2010 Dottie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, anna-quindlen
Well, as usual, Quindlen just takes over -- I can't read a Quindlen alongside other books obviously as I just end up buried in her book and the others wait. This offered peeks into her life based her newspaper columns.
Peg
Dec 17, 2007 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quindlen column fans
Description: Home thoughts from the frontlines of life, by the nationally syndicated columnist (1988 book, before any of her novels.)
Abbie Graham
Aug 09, 2009 Abbie Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read this as a sophomore in high school and just recently picked it up at a thrift store. It's a great collection of short stories from an author I enjoy reading.
Becky
Oct 22, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excerpts from the syndicated column of one of my favorite authors, about her life and her thoughts. As The Orlando Sentinel says "Smart, funny and warm."
Lisa Leigh
Sep 29, 2011 Lisa Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything by Anna Quindlen is a joy to read - especially for working mother's or even mother's in general!
Kelli
Jul 08, 2008 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book especially her views on parenting. these are from the column she writes for the new york times i think.
May 22, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and reread this book and its companion "Loud and Clear." They're collections of the author's columns for the New York Times. I have fallen in love with her work.
Elisa
Sep 19, 2010 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of NY Times columns called Life in the 30's about marriage, children, religion, politics.
Enjoyable.
Janet Porter
Janet Porter rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Barbara Dyke
Barbara Dyke rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2009
Joann Garrido
Joann Garrido rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Libby J.
Libby J. rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
  • Letters on an Elk Hunt by a Woman Homesteader
  • Shiksa Goddess
  • Family Man
  • Perfectly Imperfect: A Life in Progress
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • James Herriot's Yorkshire: A Guided Tour Through the Beloved Land of All Creatures Great and Small
  • The War Against Women
  • Composing a Life
  • The Good Times
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All (Wall Street Journal Book)
  • The Grail Legend
  • England as You Like It
  • Writing a Woman's Life
Anna Quindlen is a novelist and journalist whose work has appeared on fiction, nonfiction, and self-help bestseller lists. She is the author of eight novels: OBJECT LESSONS, ONE TRUE THING, BLACK AND BLUE, BLESSINGS, RISE AND SHINE, EVERY LAST ONE, STILL LIFE WITH BREAD CRUMBS, and MILLER'S VALLEY. Her memoir LOTS OF CANDLES, PLENTY OF CAKE, published in 2012, was a number one New York Times bests ...more
More about Anna Quindlen...

“I read and walked for miles at night along the beach, writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that that person could be me.” 50 likes
“What I expect from my male friends is that they are polite and clean. What I expect from my female friends is unconditional love, the ability to finish my sentences for me when I am sobbing, a complete and total willingness to pour their hearts out to me, and the ability to tell me why the meat thermometer isn't supposed to touch the bone.” 5 likes