Start by marking “The Sinner (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sinner (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #3)

The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  25,836 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Surgeon and The Apprentice comes a chilling new novel of suspense featuring Boston medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles, on the deadly trail of an anonymous madman who’s committed an unholy crime. . . .

THE SINNER

Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Sinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sinner

Raíla Soares
Even though I have already read and reviewed The Surgeon and The Apprentice, Tess' previous books in the series, I still feel that it's such a perkiness of mine to review any book written by this genious (I emphasize: genious!). Gerritsen, one more time, now through The Sinner, made me hook into her writing until the end, NOT letting me to put it down, despite a few flaws I found that I dare myself to point again.

A crime envolving two nuns, in the circuntances presented by Jane and Maura therewi
Bruno

Entrei neste livro completamente envolvido e aterrei nas últimas linhas bastante satisfeito. Mais um policial muito bom!

Tudo começa com as duas freiras que foram atacadas com uma violência brutal no solo sagrado da Capela. Uma delas teve morte. A outra entrou num estado mortalmente critico. Quem as atacou e porquê? Fiz todas as deduções e falhei em tudo. A ligação deste crime com o outro crime vai dar a um desfecho surpreendente e chocante!

E, é neste livro que a detetive, Rizzoli, e a rainha d
Lain
Rare is the thriller that can scare me enough to leave the lights on at night, while bringing me to tears. The Sinner did both. Filled with more twists and turns than a labyrinth, The Sinner throws a curve at both Jane Rizzoli and ME Maura Isles. Jane must deal with a huge obstacle in her life as well as her relationship with Gabriel Dean, and Maura must face her own ghosts in the form of her ex-husband.

This book serves as a pivotal point in the character development of both women, and is a mus
Selma
Odličan triler, odlično razrađena radnja koja je do samog kraja nepredvidljiva. Tess genijalno razrađuje likove i piše djela koja se prosto u jednom dahu čitaju.
Gary
This book was good but not great. The author went to great lengths to develop her characters, but there is a limit to how much you can accomplish in one novel. Granted, there is a payoff for this type of character development in later novels when the reader is attached to them. This novel has a great story that is forced into the background by the information dump of the personal lives of the characters.
Even the mystery itself seems to be created to develop the characters. I plan to continue rea
Brenda
Feb 19, 2012 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tess Gerritsen/thriller lovers
Shelves: own-read
When Dr Maura Isles was called to the chapel of Our Lady of Divine Light by Detective Jane Rizzoli, she wasn’t sure what to expect. But it certainly wasn’t the horrific, savage attack on two nuns, one of whom is dead, the other clinging to life. And medical examiner Maura was further shocked when doing the autopsy, to discover that the young novice, 20 year old Sister Camille, had very recently given birth.

The race is on to find the child, and to find the father...obviously he is a suspect! But
Paige  Bookdragon
Talk about ickyness.

The Sinner is the third book of the Rizzoli and Isles series so it would be better if you read the first two books before reading this one.

The Sinner is gruesome and I loved it. I only hope that Gerritsen would settle down a bit with all the medical terms in her book. It's a bit too much and if I wasn't hooked with the story, I would have given up with this one.

There are some things in this book that'll either make you raise your eyebrows or it'll make the hair at your neck
Reinaldo Lourenço
Bem... aí vao as primeiras 5* do ano :)
É de fato mto bom, custa um bocado parar de ler, mas qdo o comboio chega ao destino tem de ser...
Ainda bem que houve uma altura em q só comprava livros de bolso pq senao nao tinha conhecido esta autora :)
Agora tenho o 6º livro mas nao tenho o 4º e 5º... lá vou ter de dar um salto à bertrand na proxima 2a 2a feira do mês :)
Siobhan
The third Rizzoli and Isles book and another brilliant read.

If you have read the first two Rizzoli and Isles books then you should know that Gerritsen knows how to weave a great story, keeping things interesting throughout, carrying the story on. In this book we get a deeper insight into the life of Isles – something that will please many people as she has been a bit of an enigma up until this book. Due to this there are, once again, the signs of Gerritsen’s past romance books to be found yet it
Fergie
Having read three of Tess Gerritsen's novels in the Rizzoli & Isles series in the span of one week, I can now proclaim not only to be a fan, but also a readily, satisfyingly hooked one. There is something extremely gratifying in reading a crime thriller where the conclusion is far from predictable while never straying into the realm of absurdity. Detective Jane Rizzoli and Medical Examiner Maura Isles stray from their television counterparts, but as a reader, Gerritsen hardly has you disappo ...more
Cornerofmadness
Melissa Griffith
I've read Tess Gerritsen's first two Rizzoli and Isles books before this one. I really love the way that the case progresses and keeps you hooked in those two. This one, while still very interesting, is a very abrupt change from the first two books. And while I read both of the first two in five days, this one took me almost six weeks because when I set it down, I didn't feel all that strong of a need to pick it back up.

Between book two and this one, the setting moves from a blistering summer to
Neide Parafitas
Os corpos de duas freiras são encontrados numa capela e a detective Jane Rizzoli e a médica-legista Maura Isles ficam encarregues da investigação deste caso.

Na autópsia de Camille (uma das freiras), Maura descobre que a jovem foi mãe, pouco tempo antes de ter sido brutalmente assassinada e iniciam-se as buscas para descobrir um bébé e o pai da criança!

Entretanto, num prédio abandonado, é também encontrado o cadáver, completamente irreconhecível, de uma mulher, o que faz com que as investigações
Zézinha Rosado
Fantástico!!! É a primeira palavra que me vem à cabeça ao terminar de ler este livro.
Esta autora é realmente muito boa e consegue prender-nos às páginas do livro como se a nossa vida dependesse disso.

Uma vez mais uma história muito bem construída, sem momentos mortos e/ou aborrecidos, a acção decorre com coerência e é muito interessante travar um conhecimento mais aprofundado com a vida particular da médica legista Maura e da detective Rizzoli, mulheres que apresentam uma carapaça dura, uma imag
LJ
THE SINNER – G+
Tess Gerritsen – 7th book
When two Boston nuns are found brutally beaten--one fatally and one with a scintilla of life left in her--it's up to homicide detective Jane Rizzoli to find the perpetrator. Medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles has the unlucky fortune to discover that the murdered nun hid untold secrets from the rest of the aging convent. Another dead body turns up, and the investigators must rely on their clinical analysis to determine who she is and why she was murdered.

Alt
Autumn
I loved this book so much. It was a fast paced mystery, and I could not put it down. I loved this book because Rizzoli and Isles each had equal time in the book. I wish they were good friends like on the show, but in the books they are more like regular colleagues. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a wonderful mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat! 5 Big Fat Stars!
Dawn
This would be the third book of the series but it would be the first book where Rizzoli and Isles would work together in a full blown operation. The case is about the tragic death of a young nun and the only nun that is a witness to the crime is comatose. Isles' point of view was dominating the story which I liked, it made me feel closer to her character. It was a welcome peek into her character for a change after knowing Rizzoli's character at the first two books. A lot happens in the story but ...more
Wendy
I have read a few of Tess Gerritsen's books and I think she is a master storyteller. Although this story, like her others, are fast paced and keeps you guessing right to the very end, I wasn't as riveted by this story as her others. It was an easy read but in time I won't remember it so to me it doesn't stand out as a "must read" book.

When two nuns are found injured, one dead and the other injured the mystery begins. Another murder occurs of an anonymous woman who is missing her face, hands and
Michelle
This is the first book I've read by this author, and I really enjoyed it. It also takes place in Boston and mentions Providence, RI, so I felt right at home. I look forward to reading more of her work.
Jennavier
So I have this thing for cop dramas. Yes, me and the rest of the country, right? Hood, bad, or ridiculous I will watch them all. This book felt like being in the middle of one of my shows, bu getting to stay there for hours. I got a crap ton of enjoyment out of it and have started on a binge.
One thing that's made a huge difference for me in this series is that Gerritsen finally settled on a voice for the series. Maura Isles is great as a central narrator. Plus a lot of Jane Rizzoli's home and fa
Elizabeth
I'm really enjoying this series on audio. Anna Fields is a great narrator and the story kept me on the edge of my seat.
Ladysmartypants
Meine vollständige Rezension findet ihr hier

Inhalt:
Not even the icy temperatures of a typical New England winter can match the bone-chilling scene of carnage discovered at the chapel of Our Lady of Divine Light. Within the cloistered convent lie two nuns–one dead, one critically injured–victims of an unspeakably savage attacker. The brutal crime appears to be without motive, but medical examiner Maura Isles’s autopsy of the dead woman yields a shocking surprise: Twenty-year-old Sister Camille ga
Michelle♥
So this book took a different view point. We finally got to see more of Dr. Maura Isles and hear her voice.

This one was not as intriguing to me as the Surgeon was. I still want to continue on with the series to see where these characters go and how they develop.

Unfortunately, it was the plot that did not do it for me.

***Spoilers from here on out!****

Dr. Isles knows she's considered Queen of the Dead among her colleagues even though they've never said it to her face. She enjoys working with the
Jerry
We’ve read now five of Gerritsen’s popular Rizzoli & Isles series (“Sinner” is #3 in the set), and have enjoyed them all. As we fill in a few we missed and finish the set (nine total at the moment), we had to wonder if entertainment values would increase or decline with the images of TV stars Angie Harmon & Sasha Alexander running around in one’s head, as we really enjoy that TV show, with protagonists quite true to the book’s characters. The good news is that those mind pictures only ad ...more
Barbara Mitchell
My copy of this book is a 2004 paperback edition of one of the Rizzoli and Isles series. Maybe you've watched the TNT television channel show starring the characters in which, for a change, I think the casting people really nailed it. And the characters are what makes this series so addicting to me. We have Rizzoli the cop, Isles the pathologist, the Rizzoli family who are as Italian as they come, and the incidental characters in the stories who usually ring true with me.

This story is unusual in
Sharon
Tess Gerritsen is a master of medical thrillers. I feel like I know Dr. Isles and Detective Rizzoli by now as I've read 3 or 4 of Gerritsen's books. I wasn't aware of the order of the books, and I've read newer ones before the first books in the series! I found it interesting that this book explained a lot to me of later books....for example, Jane learns that she is pregnant and she wasn't married to Gabriel. I didn't know the history!

What I love about this author is how she is able to weave tog
Marianne
The Sinner is the 3rd in Tess Gerritsen’s Rizzoli/Isles series. The action starts with a murder and an attempted murder in a convent of aging nuns. The murder victim is a young novice about to take her final vows, but during the autopsy Maura Isles finds that the novice has recently given birth. Another body turns up, a shooting victim without a face, hands or feet, and with some unusual nodules on the skin. Yet another body, this time in Providence, Rhode Island, shot with the same gun, brings ...more
Rufio
I did not enjoy this book at all. This one is all about Maura Isles, which is ashame because i found myself not liking her [book] character one little bit. Again I read these because of the TV show 'Rizzoli & Isles' but the Maura Isles in this book is completely different.

The storyline was actually quite interesting; a nun found dead in her convent but who could of done it? I think what would have made this book a better read was if it revolved more around that as opposed to 'will maura cho
Lynn Spencer
I definitely liked this book better than my first foray into the series. The book starts off with a horrifying killing at a cloistered order of nuns. While gruesome, the author leaves just enough clues out there to make me want to follow the trail of the mystery. I also like how Gerritsen weaves seemingly unrelated threads of story together.

In addition, the book has that something extra - good characters. In The Apprentice, I felt like the reader never really got close to the main characters, bu
Aditi
Three times a charm!

That is if you're thinking, *can* Tess Gerritsen, amazing writer, continue weaving gruesome stories about death and psycho killers.

Yes she can. She sure can. Watch her how.

This is the third book in the 'series' but it can pass as a stand-alone novel too. It introduces us to Maura Isles. Pathologist. Intelligently quirky character. She gives company to alpha-female detective Jane Rizzoli whom I love.

It's a fantastic book. The story is unique and shudder-inducing.

But if you ha
Tess Gerritsen Fans: The Sinner 59 75 Jan 20, 2015 08:34PM
The Women's Myste...: The Sinner #3 6 25 Apr 29, 2013 11:32AM
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • Bones of Betrayal (Body Farm #4)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)

“Only the forgotten are truly dead.” 195 likes