Start by marking “The Left Hand of God: Taking Back Our Country from the Religious Right” as Want to Read:
The Left Hand of God: Taking Back Our Country from the Religious Right

The Left Hand of God: Taking Back Our Country from the Religious Right

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The unholy alliance of the Political Right and the Religious Right threatens to destroy the America we love. It also threatens to generate a popular aversion to God and religion by identifying religious values with a pro-war, pro-business, pro-rich, anti-science, and anti-environmental stance.

Over the past few decades, the Republicans have achieved political dominance by f
Published February 7th 2006 by HarperOne (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Left Hand of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Left Hand of God

Robert
I was really, really inspired by this book. It was a deeply affirming read. I basically share Rabbi Lerner's vision of a politics of meaning based on love and hope. In the second half of the book Lerner details various policy proposals for a spiritual progressive movement.

This is the sort of book I have to go back and re-read, taking notes this time. My hope has been strengthened by being exposed to Lerner's vision. Even before starting this book, I have made it a personal mission to build a sp
Denise
The introduction to this book was fantastic; after that it really paled for me. The introduction was about the craving of humans for the divine, and the way in which progressive values grow out of spirituality (notably not simply defined by participation in religious practices), and how the two hands of god- the right and the left- are defined respectively by our fears and by our love and compassion. It was a really validating read for me for a lot of personal reasons. But I didn't get very far ...more
Libertine
I wanted to like this book, I really did. Thought the author has some good ideas, he ruined the book with a repetitious and rambling writing style that made it very hard for me to wade through this wordy morass and actually finish it.

The author, a rabbi, challenges the idea that religious conservatives have the corner on spiritual values that are relevant to politics. Religious conservative ideas, which conform to the financial bottom line, are what Lerner calls the "Right Hand of God". He asser
kxm
Mar 29, 2007 kxm rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people on the left.
this would also be a good read for people who think that they are right-wing christians, but they're not likely to pick it up.

I didn't even get to finish it (damn library got all my requested books at the same time *shakes fist*), but I was already fairly well enthralled.

After I get through a few of the ones I need to get back to the library soon, I'll pick it back up. (Or buy it when it comes out in paperback...)
Matthew
Necessary handbook for progressive thinkers (and theologians) frustrated by the constant idiotic assault of the religious right.
Ebadur
took a while to get through (reading on and off until finally completed it tonight alhamdullilah), it's worth reading

First time I heard of Lerner is when he spoke at RIS a few years back I believe on the invitation of Shaykh Hamza who had written for his magazine (Tikkun). Random fact-Tikkun's office is up a small door that you can easily miss on Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley!
John Stockman
Great book! Deals with the topic of spirituality and the militant right wing agenda, namely the concept of "just war"

not by any means definitive, but compelling nontheless...

the author is involved with the network of spiritual progressives, whos camp i would consider myself a part of. you can check them out at www.tikkun.org...
Aldafan
I ALMOST finished it. There was much I liked such as having a government based on hope, not fear and moving away from our culture of Materialism. But toward the end it got a bit utopian for me and I just got bored. Too many other books I want to read.
Shane
I enjoy politics, but this was a bit too partisan for me. The concept of "The Left Hand of God" was interesting, but became too tainted in political i-told-you-so-isms.
Marianne V
While Lerner is so wordy that he is slow reading, this book still had much to say about why people fall for the religious right posture.
Rodney Hinds
This one is still not finished and probably will not be finished. It is a little out of date and would be a good read for politicos.
Elizabeth  Fuller
One of the most important books I've read in a long time. Gives me hope for our political future that I haven't felt in years.
this book really challenged my cynicism about the possibility of real social change. very interesting.
Basmah
Apr 09, 2015 Basmah marked it as to-read
got it as a birthday present. . .just gettin ready to read it
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jul 27, 2015
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Christopher Hurtado
Christopher Hurtado marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Christina Cramer
Christina Cramer marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Brent Uzzell
Brent Uzzell is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Nick Stibbs
Nick Stibbs marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Joel Trono-Doerksen
Joel Trono-Doerksen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Andrey Butenko
Andrey Butenko marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Tim Thomas
Tim Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Mark Sebert
Mark Sebert marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Original Sin: A Cultural History
  • The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power
  • The Grand Inquisitor's Manual
  • Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics
  • God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • A Black Theology of Liberation
  • The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem
  • Crashing the Gate: Netroots, Grassroots, and the Rise of People-Powered Politics
  • C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy
  • Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Heartland America
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
  • No Sense of Place: The Electronic Media on Social Behavior
  • Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America: An Evangelical's Lament
  • The Beloved Community: How Faith Shapes Social Justice, From the Civil Rights Movement to Today
  • Excavating Jesus: Beneath the Stones, Behind the Texts
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • Christianity and the Social Crisis in the 21st Century: The Classic That Woke Up the Church
Jews and Blacks: A Dialogue on Race, Religion, and Culture in America Jewish Renewal: Path to Healing and Transformation, A Healing Israel/Palestine: A Path to Peace and Reconciliation Spirit Matters Embracing Israel/Palestine: A Strategy to Heal and Transform the Middle East