Start by marking “The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)” as Want to Read:
The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)

The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)

To present an example of intentional, faithful, and passionate Christian living, Dr. Steven J. Lawson paints a portrait of eighteenth-century pastor and theologian Jonathan Edwards, who structured his relationship with God by composing and following seventy heart-searching resolutions.

The ultimate goal of this book is to challenge a new generation of believers to pursue h
Published December 10th 2008 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published November 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards

Terrence Daugherty
Jan 06, 2016 Terrence Daugherty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
One of the best biographies I've ever read. Dr. Lawson did an excellent job; so excellent that I am inclined to read this work again. Since the book is outlined by Edwards' resolutions, I am able to see into his progress of thought and spiritual development. I truly appreciate this work.
Michael Stilley
Dec 27, 2015 Michael Stilley rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Everything Steve Lawson writes is worth reading.
Leah
Mar 28, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
Jonathan Edwards, who lived on earth from 1703 - 1758, was a Truly Reformed follower of Jesus Christ (and an adherent of the Westminster Shorter Catechism...); he dedicated himself to glorifying and enjoying God (forever): Soli Deo gloria! Author Steven Lawson tells us Edwards lived, spoke, and wrote "Reformed theology in its English Puritan form."

Most who are acquainted with scripture are aware of significantly recurring numbers such as 40 and 7; "70" is another of those biblical numbers. In Ge
Steven
Nov 13, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
In The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (A Long Line of Godly Men) Dr. Steven J. Lawson provides an insightful look at Jonathan Edwards through the lens of Edwards’s famous resolutions. This is one of the many biographical studies Lawson has provided in the Long Line of Godly Men series published by Reformation Trust.

Lawson first traces through the life of Edwards drawing primarily from the biographies of Edwards written by George Marsden and Iain Murray as well as many other secondary sou
Lisa Johnson
Aug 31, 2016 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards
By: Dr. Steven Lawson
From: Reformation Trust Product
Pages: 168
Publish Date: December 1st, 2008
Rating: 4.5 stars

Who is Jonathan Edwards? Ever hear of his name or read anything he wrote? There is much written about this man from the past. We can learn the basic facts such as where was he born, siblings, pastorates, marital status, etc… How about going further into the life of Jonathan Edwards to the man, to know the heart of this man of God? What if yo
Ho Christopher
Sep 09, 2013 Ho Christopher rated it liked it
I must say that I do like reading biography, and have enjoyed some really good ones in the Long Line of Godly Man Profile. And I do like Stephen Lawson as an author, his writing style lucid, engaging and at many times well worth the time spent investing in reading his works. I do especially like his Foundations of Grace, and Pillars of Grace where I was first introduced to his writings.

However, I must say that I was kinda disappointed with this particular writing, I guess it was not the genre I
Michael Newton
Dec 11, 2012 Michael Newton rated it really liked it
Shelves: pastoral, biographies
THE UNWAVERING RESOLVE OF JONATHAN EDWARDS by Steven J. Lawson

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Type of Book: Biography

Pages: 155 (large type)

This is one of the books in the A Long Line of Godly Men Profile

Must read chapters: Chapter 5 "The Putting Away of Sin" and Chapter 7 "The Passion of Discipline"

In these two chapters I wrote a lot of notes reguarding my thoughts on them. I would like to share a couple of quotes with you.

Edwards believed that repentance is difficult and demanding. He knew he must "
J.K. Turner
May 19, 2016 J.K. Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challange
My Rating – Put it on the list

Level – Easy, Medium length

Summary
The first chapter is a short biographical stretch of the man many consider to be the greatest American Theologian of all time. The rest of the chapters are devoted to Edwards’ construction of his ‘Resolution.’ Unfortunately, as Edwards didn’t order or systematize his Resolutions, the book seems to jump around a bit as Lawson attempts to categorize the list. However, the book does an excellent job of spelling many of the resolutions
Bob Gooch
Jul 09, 2011 Bob Gooch rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Edwards is widely-regarded as one of greatest preachers, theologians, philosophers, and intellectuals in American history. A brilliant man, he had a tremendous influence on contemporaries, as he does today on modern-day American Christianity.

This is an unusual biography. Only the first chapter contains the normal chronological account of his life that you would expect to find in any biography. The rest of the book examines his life from the point of view of his “Resolutions”, seventy s
Pam
Jul 16, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Just a taste of this wonderful book on “The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards” by Steven Lawson.
“In resolution 8, he (Jonathan Edwards) wrote:

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failing promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.
Wheneve
Vicki
Feb 08, 2016 Vicki added it
Though not the main thrust of this book, I found Edwards experiences and thoughts about relationship to others most helpful. Especially where he struggled with patience towards those who are "light-hearted" and always joking around.

I've also observed that in my former years among charismatics, an examined life was a common theme and have seen that more uncommon among reformed circles I've been around in recent years. From this book, my impression is that an examined life was Edwards primary foc
Brian
Apr 09, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
I'm like Jonathan Edwards in many ways, unfortunately only in the ways he struggled with the hard things of the Christian life, the sin, the insecurity of his being in God's will. The parts of Jonathan Edwards life that stood out, those things I do not resemble, but alas there is hope.

This book is a great treatise on christian living, not of the Joel Osteen variety but a God saturated, Christ adoring, holy spirit driven legacy of a man whose every breath, every thought, every deed was examined
Ivan
Apr 05, 2013 Ivan rated it liked it
Overall, an encouraging book. But I think it's unhelpful to so stress the "unwavering resolve" of Edwards to the exclusion of his journal entries that paint a more realistic picture of his failings. For all his godly zeal, I think Edwards was overly introspective and punctilious to the point of limiting sleep and food and company. Again, I was encouraged by this book when I read it in college, but I think it's good to see it in perspective and with a tinge of biblical balance. Then again, I'm ...more
Jim Bigler
Jan 04, 2014 Jim Bigler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Very helpful and encouraging towards the battle of sanctification. Lawson does a very good job of not only showing Edwards resolve, but also Edwards weakness as a sinner and his utter reliance on God's grace for growth in holiness. Edwards was and is a giant in the faith, but how hopeful it is to see that we all share in many of the same struggles. Highly recommended, an easy read full of great quotes and references. A book that I will keep handy.
Don Henrikson
Jun 17, 2013 Don Henrikson rated it really liked it
A short but encouraging review of the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. The majority of the content is a consideration of of the resolutions themselves, supplemented by entries from Edwards' journal, under several topical headings. The work seems a little repetitive at times, with summaries of each resolution included. However, this is a helpful read, proving a good example of a great man's devotion to holiness.
Isaiah Jesch
Aug 15, 2015 Isaiah Jesch rated it really liked it
The biographical sketch was helpful, through brief, but the great value to me came in reading Edwards own writings and the simple elaborations/summaries of them. Edwards truly lived a life worth emulating. In the manner of Paul, he could truly say "Imitate me, as I imitate Christ."

I was moved and challenged at several points in this book. Perhaps "resolutions" of my own will be drafted in the Edwardian vein in order to help discipline my own spiritual life.
Elijah
Jul 03, 2013 Elijah rated it really liked it
Edwards was a beast. He is an inspiring and convicting man to read about. Lawson does well with his research, though I would have enjoyed more of the events that occurred throughout Edward's life, although such was not the purpose of the book. The chief aim of this book was to give an overview of Edwards' thought as found according to his 70 resolutions and the influence they had on his life. Great an easy read.
Joseph Tan
Feb 14, 2015 Joseph Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Relevant Role Model for our time

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it provides an intimate view of not only Edward's various resolutions to live for the glory of God but also his personal struggles. Makes Edwards very accessible to the man on the street. Feel very encouraged to live as Edwards did.

Great book for all Christians desiring to live for the glory of God.
Josue Manriquez
Jun 21, 2013 Josue Manriquez rated it really liked it
Jonathan Edwards is most definitely one of my favorite theologians, and this excellent little book has reminded me why I like him so much! In this book, author Steve Lawson quotes and comments on 40 of Edwards' resolutions, showing Edwards to be a man of unwavering resolve who sought above all to live to the glory of God. May we all have such discipline as Edwards to live for God's glory.
Vaughn
Oct 27, 2012 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards' is a short survey of his life and with a heavy emphasis on his Resolutions. If you're looking for a complete biography, there are much more complete works available. However, if you're looking for an accessible, quick read to give an overview of his life and times, this is certainly enough to whet one's appetite for more.
Phil Sessa
Feb 19, 2015 Phil Sessa rated it it was amazing
This book has been a great challenge. I love the practicality of the life of Edwards. He tried to only do what he had previously planned on doing in light of his written resolutions. Many intend to do, Edwards executed his intentions because they were the desires God placed in his heart to walk out. I highly recommend this book for those serious about living for the glory of God.
Ryan Boomershine
Dec 01, 2013 Ryan Boomershine rated it really liked it
"No man is more relevant to the present condition of Christianity than Jonathan Edwards. None is more needed." D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

An excellent overview of JE's 70 Resolutions and an inside look at to how he applied them in his relentless pursuit at progressive sanctification. "Only an examined life is worth living."
Andrew Malone
Apr 02, 2015 Andrew Malone rated it really liked it
Lawson does a fantastic job of taking the life of Jonathan Edwards and his 70 resolutions and condensing it down into this 155 page work. This is a quick read that provides wonderful insight into the constant battle Edwards waged against sin.
Bruce
Jun 18, 2016 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly convicted from reading this book. We all try to improve on our Christian walk but Edwards wrote practical resolutions that would glorify God. It was not a matter of choosing between good and evil, but rather good and better.
David
This is an excellent little book in which Lawson explores the way in which Jonathan Edwards used the 70 Resolutions which he wrote at the beginning of his Christian life as the means by which he kept himself on track in living constantly for the Glory of God.
Kevin
Nov 02, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
A good intro to Edwards. I benefitted to see a man who by all means had a resolute life of discipline, yet who also had a resolute dependency on the Hold Spirit for that discipline. Good book
Matt Crawford
Dec 18, 2015 Matt Crawford rated it liked it
I didn't catch the humor in the title, the book mainly follows Edwards' Resolutions. Still a brief yet very good read
May 29, 2009 Laura marked it as to-read
The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile) by Steven J. Lawson (2008)
Pam Nelson
Aug 07, 2009 Pam Nelson rated it really liked it
He is one of my heros of the faith. This is a brief and insightful glimpse into a man who knew who he was in the Lord and lived full on, full out for God's glory!
Matt Boesch
Jul 06, 2014 Matt Boesch rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Inspired me to work harder at living my life as God has called me to, for His glory.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards
  • With Calvin in the Theater of God: The Glory of Christ and Everyday Life
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • William Tyndale: A Biography
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Histories and Fallacies: Problems Faced in the Writing of History
207653
Dr. Steven J. Lawson is the Senior Pastor of Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile, Alabama, having served as a pastor in Arkansas and Alabama for the past twenty-nine years. He is a graduate of Texas Tech University (B.B.A.), Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M.), and Reformed Theological Seminary (D. Min.)
More about Steven J. Lawson...

A Long Line of Godly Men Profile (10 books)
  • The Expository Genius of John Calvin
  • The Mighty Weakness of John Knox
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther (Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • The Evangelistic Zeal of George Whitefield
  • The Trinitarian Devotion of John Owen
  • The Daring Mission of William Tyndale
  • The Passionate Preaching of Martyn Lloyd-Jones (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)

“For Edwards, George Claghorn writes, the “Resolutions” were “neither pious hopes, romantic dreams, nor legalistic rules.”4 Instead, they were intensely positive and practical, comprising “instructions for life, maxims to be followed in all respects.”5 The “Resolutions” reveal Edwards’ “strong sense of duty and discipline, in private and public matters, in intellect and spirituality.”6 Collectively, they form an emphatic statement, Stephen Nichols notes, of how he sought to “chart out his life—his relationships, his conversations, his desires, his activities.”7” 1 likes
“Every decision and direction must come under this overarching goal of bringing glory to God.” 1 likes