Start by marking “Hank Aaron: Brave in Every Way” as Want to Read:
Hank Aaron: Brave in Every Way

Hank Aaron: Brave in Every Way

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On April 8, 1974, America watched as Hank Aaron stepped up to the plate and hit home run number 715! With that hit, he surpassed Babe Ruth's legendary baseball record and realized a lifelong dream.

Before blacks were allowed in the major leagues, Hank was determined to play. This is the story of how Hank Aaron became a great ballplayer and an inspiration to us all.
Published March 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 2nd 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Hank Aaron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hank Aaron

Ashleigh
This is the story of Hank Aaron's strength and perseverance-- of how he became an inspiration to others. Since the day he was born Hank's father knew he wanted his son to know the joy of playing baseball. Hank Aaron was one of those lucky people who know just what they want to do with their lives, he wanted to be a major league ball player. With determination Hank set about achieving that goal. When he was a boy it seemed that his dream was practically unreachable. Then Jackie Robinson broke the ...more
Jonathan
This biography is the powerful story of a man who broke social barriers and became the home run record holder of the American Major League of Baseball. The author, Peter Golenbock retells the life of the great man who changed the face of baseball forever by breaking one of the most iconic sports records of all time.

This book is an amazing narrative of a national hero and encompasses exactly how much of a hero Hank Aaron was. It also has awesome illustrations that perfectly pair with the narrati
Ali Wilcox

I am a big baseball fan so I really enjoyed this biography. But even if one isn't a baseball fan, I think you would enjoy it because it discusses the trials and tribulations that Hank Aaron had to endure. Being an African American, he did not have as many rights as other people had and that included being able to play baseball, the one thing he truly loved. Hank Aaron was determined to play baseball and became an inspiration to many and one of the best baseball players in history. The biography
Deb
Design is pretty basic - painting on one page, text on opposite for most pages. Goes from birth to record breaking 715th home run, so story only highlights pursuit of baseball. No chronology or biographical references for further reading, which I consider a mistake in any nonfiction work. For as much struggle Aaron must have faced, this story doesn't convey it convincingly. More of a picture book storybook than comprehensive biography, but it does contain dates in the text, so maybe useful for s ...more
Brian Cave
This biography discusses the trials and tribulations in the life of Hank Aaron. This biography not only tells of the breaking of the home run record of Babe Ruth, but tells about a time in America where African Americans were not allowed to participate in sports. The biography gives examples of how he received hate mail and threats on his life. A very nice biography.
I used this book for a read aloud with my practicum students, and they loved it. We wrote letters to Hank Aaron after reading about his bravery and the hate mail he received. The students participated in a marvelous discussion afterwards, which encourages me to recommend this book to any teacher wanting to adress racial issues within our culture.
Rockinrapson
This book talked alot about how Hank broke Babe's home run record...which is sad for me since I love BR. He was lucky that Jackie Robinson paved the way for him and other Blacks in baseball. It was a phenomenal read!
Matthew
This was an excellent biography covering the birth up to the 715th home run in Hank Aaron's career. It was well written and carefully illustrated. I'd be happy to have this in a biography section in my library.
Sam Sahyouni
A great biography for students and children interested in sports, specifically baseball. It also addresses civil rights issues of race and equality.
Wilhelmina Jenkins
An excellent children's biography of Hank Aaron, including his experiences inside and outside of the ball park. For first graders and up.
Melanie
A picture book that chronicles the life of Hank Aaron. Info includes his childhood through his time in the Major Leagues.
Dalton
This was also an excellent book that i read it is a biography and was really detailed on how Hank Aarons life was.
Najla
Najla marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Gay Niccum
Gay Niccum marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Teammates Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers Wrigleyville: A Magical History Tour of the Chicago Cubs 7: The Mickey Mantle Novel Dynasty