Start by marking “Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell, #1)

Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  9,254 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
IF NOT YOU, WHO ELSE?

As the mighty alien fleet from the latest computer game thunders across the screen, Johnny prepares to blow them into the usual million pieces. And they send him a message: We surrender.

They're not supposed to do that! They're supposed to die. And computer joysticks don't have 'Don't Fire' buttons . . .

But it's only a game, isn't it. Isn't it?

The firs
Published April 29th 2004 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Only You Can Save Mankind, please sign up.

MRS EMMA L GREGORY It sounds like you're trying to avoid reading the book. You probably won't find anything specific, other than references to funny things happening…moreIt sounds like you're trying to avoid reading the book. You probably won't find anything specific, other than references to funny things happening around Johnny.

It's a fun book, especially if you were around for early home computers in the 80s.(less)

Chris
Better with age.

Older Review
Considering the popularity of first person shooters, this book is still very timely. It's Pratchett, it's funny and delivers a message. Kristi is the protype of Hermonie. Enjoyable.

A really good what if type of a story, especially if you ever played Space Invaders. There are a couple questions concerning the aliens and the game that Pratchett doesn't answer.
Mignon
Apr 21, 2012 Mignon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Pratchett. He must wake up every morning and think, "What should I make fun of today?" And then he proceeds with mockery while sneaking in valuable social insights. This book is shorter than most of his other books, but it made for great audiobook listening on a four-hour road trip.
Sarai
From School Library Journal
Johnny Maxwell, 12, thinks he's a loser. People don't seem to notice him, his parents are threatening to split up, and he's not very good at the shoot-up-the-bad-guys computer games that he and his friends are always playing. But after his hacker buddy, Wobbler, gives him an illegal copy of Only You Can Save Mankind, strange things happen. The captain of the alien fleet that Johnny is supposed to shoot up surrenders to him–unheard of in a computer game–and soon after t
Lea
Jan 05, 2014 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, kids
This book was how Terry Pratchett dealt with the first gulf war, I think. I wish I had read it when I was a kid and images of that war were broadcast over my TV screen, interrupting my favorite television shows and occupying the conversation of adults. The main character in the book, Johnny, cared a bit more than I did, but felt basically the same-- these images carried no meaning, as bland and removed from life as an old, out of date video game.
There's one hugely funny bit where Johnny defines
Paul
Nov 10, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Pratchett's main productions are Fantasy he occasionally tinkered in the scifi genre. This is the first part of a trilogy , based around a weird kid called Johnny Maxwell.
The book is fun and quite cheeky and still has the common Pratchett approach of turning things on their head to make you see things differently. In this case he completely reverses the basic concepts of an Alien shooter computer game, starting with the premise that the Aliens don't want to die and decide to surrender and
Maria
May 29, 2016 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I picked up this book to read something short and light in between another books. Oh, and because it’s Terry Pratchett.

I was surprised by this book. It’s definitely short but not as light as I was expecting. Even the title of the book is not how it seems. You don’t need to save mankind from aliens. You need to save mankind from…well, mankind.
Only You Can Save Mankind is about war and Johnny Maxwell coping with it. It’s about the difference between reality and a dream. Or, to be more precise, it
Allen Holt
Apr 19, 2015 Allen Holt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprising book that left me with a tremendous sense of appreciation for Pratchett's ability to inject seemingly silly or small stories with heart and message. Appropriate reading for teens and adults, like most of Pratchett's work, I'd heartily recommend this quick read to anyone.

The book does an effective job of portraying the early 90s computer gamers. I was especially taken by the nostalgia of it all as I myself was roughly Johnny's age during that first Iraq war and often in front of a co
Darla
Dec 13, 2012 Darla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Genre:Children's fiction) Low 3 stars. While this is definitely not Pratchett's strongest offering, it did make for an enjoyable read with some astute observations about the human race. Not earth shattering, but it was entertaining and I will probably read the next one in the series.

12 year old Johnny Maxwell is surrounded by conflict. Everyday on the news, they show pictures from the Gulf War(the first one), with bombs dropping on homes and buildings and interviews with top government and mili
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I give this book a 3...sort of. I like Sir Terry's writing. He's sharp and can generally make a sharp quip with a dull point. This book isn't quite so good.

Oh, there are some laughs and the plot while not totally new (that the "world inside games is real in it's own way") is a good one. It opens with a cute idea. The young man playing a new computer game is busy fighting his way through the "enemy alien fleet", he's made it to the huge mother-ship...and they surrender. He gets text on his
Cait
Dec 26, 2014 Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure if I would enjoy this but I really did.

Kind of dated in a way but I remember those sorts of computer games.

Liked the character of Johnny.

Classic Terry Pratchett humour, lots of funny bits and very cleverly written.

Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Angie
Nov 28, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: terry Pratchett fans
Recommended to Angie by: no one
Even though this is a children's book it was still enjoyable to read and this is probably because its still a terry Pratchett novel. The book follows the character Johnny who instead of killing the aliens in his computer game accepts their surrender. He's joined by his friends and gets help in game by sigourney a kick ass girl. Lots of fun Pratchett style follows. This would be perfect for your younger children as well.
Dec 26, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apparently Goodreads didn't save my review... The short version: I love this book. It's a quick read. Give it a try!
Cristina Boncea
Rating-ul ar fi 2.5.

Cartea ar fi în esență legată de Războiul din Golf, despre care eu nu știu nimic. Mai departe, ne spune cum ar trebui să luăm războaiele în serios, căci ele nu sunt doar niște jocuri sau imagini pe ecranul televizorului. Și poate că nu se limitează la războaie...

Mi s-a părut destul de greu de citit, deși a avut umorul specific lui Terry Pratchett. Personajul principal este Johnny Maxwell, un copil de 12 ani care joacă un joc video numit Doar Tu Poți Salva Omenirea. Acolo, per
Paul Wardman
Apr 21, 2015 Paul Wardman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times a young adult book can fall into the trap of dumbing down the content, adding a love triangle (though that is usually more common in teen books) or talking down to its audience. Luckily the only real difference between an "adult" and "YA" novel is it has chapters and sometimes a younger protagonist.
The basis premis of the book, the aliens you're supposed to fight in a computer game surrender and ask you to save them, is interesting and a good one. The undertones are utterly brilliant.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Sci-fi drama from Terry Pratchett.

This is not my cup of tea.
Jenny Andersson
May 16, 2016 Jenny Andersson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Pratchett's writing! Really easy to get in to!
Michael
May 18, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Pratchett's tinkering in the SciFi genre has created another brilliant read. 'Only You Can Save Mankind' is the first part the Johnny Maxwell trilogy, based around a 12 year old boy called Johnny Maxwell.

Only You Can Save Mankind is based around a computer game where the aliens no longer wish to be shot and surrender to Johnny, claiming their rights written in the Geneva convention.

The book is a fun, cheeky and overall entertaining read and Pratchett once again has been able to write in a style
Laura Luna
"Sólo tú puedes salvar a la humanidad" es esa novela que recomendaría a los niños y adolescentes que aborrecen la lectura por los libros que les obligan a leer en el colegio. Es una historia adictiva, ligera, llena del humor mordaz característico de Terry que, además, conecta muy bien con la subcultura jugona. Hace reflexionar, además, sobre temas como el sexismo, la marginación social y la autoestima. Me encanta cómo hace que un videojuego rompa la cuarta barrera e invite al héroe a plantearse ...more
Liz
Jan 08, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who else indeed? And that's really the question, isn't it? The old saw says that one person can make a difference, but no one ever thinks that it's them so no one does anything. And no difference is ever made. That's what the question on the cover of the book points out, if not you, then who else will?

In this case, Johnny is that one person, one out of thousands, but the only one who listens and takes on the responsibility of trying to do something. He has no power in the "real" world; his paren
Nara
Apr 05, 2015 Nara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I feel like this is one of those books that reads like a YA/MG book, but is actually one which deals with a lot of thought provoking, deeper issues. A bit like the way The Little Prince is a "childrens" book with themes that are more relevant and identifiable as an adult.

Still, I had some trouble with suspension of disbelief because so many things were left unexplained. Maybe in the sequel.

Ratings
Overall: 7/10
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 2/5
Carol
Jan 05, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so cool! A game, an old game with starships and all. And then, it turns a bit more realistic than Johnny would've liked.
I loved the story, is very simple, but it was definitely original, as I would expect from Pratchett. The ScreeWees are fun, although not the brightest ones in combat. And the end, God I loved it. :D
Michelle Mj
Jan 03, 2016 Michelle Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book i've read by Pratchett..i know..a little behind the times. Anyway, really enjoyed it..a lot of subtle little messages about life and the human condition...depending on how you read..am about to read Johnny and the dead now..and look forward to reading more of Pratchetts work!
Peter Petermann
Usually I like Pratchett. And I like the basic idea of the story, I like how it's approaching morality and games. I don't like the way games keep being compared to television, I don't like that dreams part, and I don't like the stereotypes in the characters.
Probably the only Pratchett book that I think I wouldn't have missed anything if I hadn't read it.
Altivo Overo
Oct 30, 2014 Altivo Overo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially gamers
One could wish that a lot of "gamers" would read this and take it to heart. While the story is told in a humorous manner, it nonetheless makes the reader think "what if..." What if the game were real? What if the "aliens" were really people and they really died and stayed dead when you shoot them?

Johnny Maxwell finds himself confronted with this very situation, and has to figure a way out of it. Without any spoilers, and much to his (and Pratchett's) credit, he does in the end. But in order to d
Siri
Jul 11, 2015 Siri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bored and I had only one book whit me. So I got this book and I love it. It is a children's book it is still lovely.
Hilma
Nov 11, 2015 Hilma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So.. first I wasn't sure if I would give it four or five stars but I gave it four in the end just because it took me a while to really get "stuck" in the book, if you know what I mean. All in all this was a really fun book to read. Not just because it was humorous but mostly because I have never read anything like it before. And do you know how some books just kind of makes you feel like a child again? This book did that for me. I don't really know why, but it did. I will definitely be reading m ...more
Sheherazahde
Mar 14, 2016 Sheherazahde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
A bit dated, but so is anything written nowadays that includes computers.

The issues are not so dated. Johnny's parents are breaking up, there is war going on far away, there is poverty and racism. Johnny just wants to do the right thing in a complicated world.

The major theme of the book is how we treat war like a game when we shouldn't because it involves real people's lives. On the other hand having rules for war keeps us from being the worst that we can be. We are complicated like that. John
Bülent Özgün
Jan 26, 2016 Bülent Özgün rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Etkileyici bir Terry Pratchett eseri.

İşlediği fikir itibariyle çok ciddi bir kitap ama Terry Pratchett'ın elinde olabilecek en eğlenceli biçimde sunulmuş.

Baş kişi Johnny, sürekli öldürmenin kazanmak sayıldığı bilgisayar oyunları oynuyor, diğer yandan da televizyonu ne zaman açsa savaş var ve evde ebeveynler arasında büyük tartışmalar. Öldürmeyi, savaşı ve çatışmayı öylesine kanıksamış ki bir gün bilgisayar ekranında "Konuşmak istiyoruz." yazısını görünce şaşırıyor. Anlamlandıramıyor. Bilgisayar
Julie Davis
Feb 13, 2015 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Pratchett's Johnny Maxwell trilogy way back in 2004 and just reread it. It is Y.A. in the way that Pratchett does so well, truly not condescending but capturing the feelings of that time of life. He does this in the trilogy in a way that seems quite unusual for his books. For one thing because they take place in Great Britain in the real world. More or less.

My original review is below.

==============

The Johnny Maxwell books are not Terry Pratchett's usual Discworld books. They are se
Matthew Lloyd
In the mid-1990s, before I read the Discworld books in 1998 but after the publication of Johnny and the Dead in 1994, there was only one Terry Pratchett book I was able to get through. I don't know why I struggled so much with Johnny and the Dead, but something about Only You Can Save Mankind captivated the roughly-ten-year-old me in a way that Pratchett's other books did not. Coming back to it now, its fascinating to me how it transposes into a science fiction setting the mandate from the int ...more
Only You Can Save Mankind 3 12 Aug 23, 2015 08:15PM
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Ash Road
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor

More about Terry Pratchett...

Johnny Maxwell (3 books)
  • Johnny and the Dead (Johnny Maxwell, #2)
  • Johnny and the Bomb (Johnny Maxwell, #3)

“If Not You, Who Else?” 57 likes
“If you were away from home, you had to use a phone attached by a wire to the wall. It was terrible.” 0 likes