Start by marking “Two Plays for Voices: Two Plays for Voices” as Want to Read:
Two Plays for Voices: Two Plays for Voices

Two Plays for Voices: Two Plays for Voices

"The joy for me is knowing that somebody can have this strange audio experience. They're getting something as good as you get from radio." - Neil Gaimen

Produced by the Sci-Fi Channel and Seeing Ear Theatre - these two plays are adapted for voice by Neil Gaiman from two of his short stories (both stories can be found in Smoke & Mirrors).

SNOW GLASS APPLES: Once upon a ti
Audio, Abridged - 2h 2 min, 0 pages
Published September 17th 2002 by Caedmon (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Two Plays for Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Plays for Voices

Feb 21, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wicked stepmothers, Angels
Two Plays for Voices is a full-cast audio production of two Neil Gaiman short stories: Snow Glass Applies (narrated by Bebe Neuwirth, aka "Lilith" from Cheers) and Murder Mystery (narrated by Brian Dennehy).

Snow Glass Apples is a dark retelling of Snow White, from the stepmother's point of view. In this version, Snow White is a very sinister little girl, and the "evil queen" who sends her into the woods to die is trying to save herself and her kingdom.

Murder Mystery tells the story of the first
Nov 22, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first audio book rental. That part went pretty well, although it seems to take a long time for the books to arrive.

I'm not sure if this can technically even count AS a book. It's two short stories from a collection of short stories I've read before, although I didn't realize that until I started listening to the first one.

The stories are "Snow Glass Apples" and "Murder Mysteries" which are both from Fragile Things, I believe. I might be wrong on that. Anyway, these are VERY well done
Jul 02, 2010 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I did not like these stories, but I can recognize that they're good, as Gaiman's work generally is.

Snow Glass Apples is the creepiest retelling of Snow White ever, really playing up on the whole necrophilia vibe of the prince falling in love with Snow White's corpse. The story is told from the perspective of Snow White's "wicked" stepmother, only it's Snow White who's truly wicked and not in an evil cackle kind of way. To put it bluntly, this story has a lot of sex that really makes the s
Такую приятную плюшку откопала совершенно случайно, как оно обычно и бывает 8) Аудио-пьесы по мотивам двух рассказов из сборника Дым и зеркала: «Мистерии убийства» и «Снег, зеркало, яблоко».

Для меня эта аудио-постановка вылилась в непрекращающийся шок и восторг *_* Это возможность по-новому взглянуть на краткие зарисовки, которые с помощью аудиализации раскрывают весь свой потенциал. Приятные голоса, грамотная расстановка акцентов – и получается просто сказка.

«Мистерии...» я отметила еще летом,
"Murder Mysteries"

I loved this story especially when it came out in a graphic novel of the same title (loved the illustration of the Silver City). Is it possible to kill or murder an angel? If yes, then how was it done? If yes, then what is the reason for it? If yes, then will God punish the evildoer? The story is an account of the first murder in the history of the universe, before even Cain and Abel, told from the viewpoint of Raguel, an angel whose function is to be the "Vengeance of the Lord
Mar 31, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superbly written, performed, and produced duo of plays that stands the test of time. The standout is certainly "Snow Glass Apples," a retelling of the Snow White tale through the sympathetic point-of-view of the stepmother. Witchcraft and vampirism as well as other arts, compulsions, and depravations are themes that Gaiman teases out in his mesmerizing and masterful storytelling style.
Nov 14, 2008 melydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an audio recording of two plays for voices written by Neil Gaiman, adapted (by Gaiman himself) from his short stories Snow Glass Apples and Murder Mysteries. Each CD has its own case within the main packaging, and I put labels with the same BCID on both. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone.

Snow Glass Apples is a creepy retelling of a very familiar story. I don't want to say which one and spoil the surprise. It's unquestionably disturbing, but very well done.

Murder Mysteries was well acted
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2013 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two very disturbing stories from Neil Gaiman, this was a duet of short plays adapted for "Seeing Ear Theatre" and read by Bebe Neuwirth ("Snow Glass Apples") and Brian Dennehy ("Murder Mystery.")

"Snow Glass Apples" was a re-telling of Snow White with a ghastly vampiric twist, and from the voice of the Queen, who is anything but the Disnified villainess we've come to know and loathe. Snow White is herself a disturbing figure, and all in all, this was a very enjoyable re-telling of a classic, if a
Mar 10, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neil-gaiman
Feb 21, 2009 Izlinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reading of "Snow Glass Apples" and "Murder Mysteries." I listened to this CD when I was in my down and depressed, isolated part of this month. At that point I haven't read "Snow Glass Apples" yet though I had the book Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions in my room. I decided to listen to "Snow Glass Apples" before reading it, and I found it rather creepy. I had read the graphic novel version of "Murder Mysteries" before listening to this CD (and again, before reading it in ...more
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 29, 2010 Krystl Louwagie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a full cast, full sound effects audio book. There are two short stories, each one an hour long-the first, Snow Glass Apples has to be my favorite re-telling I've ever heard. Absolutely wonderful, I wouldn't change a thing about it, and would recommend it to anyone-even if it is quite popular now to write old fairy tales with the "twist" of sympathizing with the "villain".

The second story was almost just as cool. All I'll say for what it's about: mostly about angels and the creation of ea
Lacey Louwagie
Jun 18, 2010 Lacey Louwagie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lacey by: Krystl, leirali
I forgot to review this one when I first finished it, and I don't have a ton to say that hasn't already been said. "Snow, Glass, Apples," is probably the best Snow White retelling I've ever read -- I love that someone FINALLY adequately addressed the creep-o factor when it comes to Prince Charming falling in love with a corpse. Telling the story from the stepmother's perspective was a good choice, making Snow White come across as evil as most books portray the queen.

The second story was interest
Sep 08, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun take on the Snow White story from the "evil queen's" perspective and an examination of the divine plan. Fully dramatized and well-cast... especially Brian Denahy as the lost angel.
Sep 04, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, as Neil Gaiman always is. Snow Glass Apples is the Snow White story from the perspective of the Queen. Murder Mysteries is a fascinating pre-angelic war tale.
Mar 18, 2013 Johnna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I am into full cast perfermances of audio books/plays.

This rating should be more like 2.5 stars.

The idea of Snow Glass Apples being a twisted version of Snow White is intriguing, but the story kind of made me feel uncomfortable. It didn't feel like anything else I have read by Gaiman, which left me feeling a little disappointed. Bebe Newirth was definitely perfectly cast as the Queen/Narrator.

Murder Mystery was not what I was expecting, and I enjoyed that story much more than the
Heather M
Dec 12, 2011 Heather M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman's writing always leaves me impressed and these two stories were no exception; he really skirts the line between contemporary fiction/literature and the fantasy genre, taking the best elements of both and melding them together. Adapted for audiobook readers, these two "plays" (adaptations of two of his short stories from his "Smoke and Mirrors" collection) feature a wonderful recording cast and perfectly captured the radio play experience for me. It is writing like this that has turned me ...more
Sep 14, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, comedy, british
Rewriting the stories of Snow White and Lucifer from a non-traditional perspective.
Nov 27, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to relisten to the Snow White thing. It's beyond incredible!
May 30, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely more adult-oriented then the last Gaiman's audio track I listened to. I liked hearing different voices portray these fantastic characters and hear backup music for certain scenes. Though I do wish Gaiman did a cameo voice in it; and there had also been a lighter, comedic story added to make a trio collection. Perhaps they should add one like his story "Chivalry". I would love to see who they would use for voices. I could imagine maybe a bubbly Betty White or prim Maggie Smith voice th ...more
Jan 09, 2015 Ions rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely fantastic!
The first tale was a macabre retelling of Snow White. Maybe I should have realized that with a title like Snow Apple Glass. Very, very dark. Kinda gross. And quite a bit more racy than anything I've ever read by Mr. Gaiman.

And though it is enlisted Bèbè Newirth's impressive talent, I didn't like it as much as I did the second story.

Which I loved. To experience the genesis of Genesis and to hear the inner workings of heaven was quite interesting. Brian Dennehy added a great dimension to the stor
Apr 15, 2008 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Snow Glass Apple was just another retelling of Snow White from a different viewpoint. It was okay, but I'm tired of retellings. Wicked is the only one I've read that managed to pull itself above the genre and create its own life.

The second play, Murder Mysteries, was a tale about angels in the Silver City prior to the creation of the universe. And murder. It was a promising concept, but wasn't wonderfully written.

I'm going to read Stardust. If I don't like that then I'm done with Gaiman.

Sep 15, 2008 kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: neil lovers.
snow glass apples is even creepier as a play than as a short story. not good for lunch time listening.

Listened to Murder Mysteries going up US 19 on Sept 14, 2008. The angels were being drilled my luciger as I got a speeding ticket. I'm still not sure I understand this play, but I greatly enjoyed the play between god, the angels, and "the plan." The background sounds were distracting from the story, but overall, a good way to pass the time while driving in the dark through backwoods florida.
Aug 29, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snow Glass Apples: A super creepy, dark, interesting (and adult) twist on the Snow White fairytale.

Murder Mysteries: The investigation of the first murder which was of an angel by an angel when they were still working on the formation of the universe. Super interesting! While it was interesting hearing the story told by... who was telling it... I really could have done without the story-in-a-story set up entirely.
chris tierney
Not my favorite Gaiman, but then not all of his short stories work for me. I liked Murder Mysteries better than Snow, Glass, Apples, the latter of which strayed too far into Darker and Edgier territory for me. Also, I found it hard to hear a lot of the dialogue in that one; Murder Mysteries was mixed more evenly.
Mar 24, 2008 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Meh, not so much. Both stories were, indeed, creepy. Snow Glass Apples put an interesting twist on a familiar story (along the lines of Gregory MacGuire, but more effectively and with about 30,000 fewer words). I must not have understood the Murder Mysteries one - I thought I was doing fine until the ending, which confused me. The stories weren't terrible, maybe just not my cup of tea.
Dec 26, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I had this on my mp3 player for a long while, but I somehow never got around to listening to it. Finally the other day while at work, it popped on and I decided to give it a go.

I rather enjoyed Harlequin Vampire (haven't listened to Snow, Glass, Apples yet) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I think I might want to use it as an audition piece when and if I get back into theater.
Nov 30, 2009 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd actually read the 2nd story somewhere. It was a good story. However, this audio production was amazing! The sound design was as important as the text itself; they worked beautifully together. They're both intense stories - each starts with screaming for good reason. You can borrow it from the library, as I'll (reluctantly) return the copy I borrowed later today.
Sep 23, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These audio plays completely blew me away. I've wanted to listen to them again but have had a hard time tracking them down. I have the collection of short stories these are from though, so that's helpful.

These retellings of Snow White and the birth of evil (loosely based on the Bible) are brilliant. Unique, unexpected, frightening, amazing. I loved them.
Aug 06, 2008 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories, which are also found in the written format in Gaiman's collections provide an interesting perspective. Great readers/story tellers! Snow Glass Apples is a version of Snow White from the queen's perspective, it occassionally travels off course making it insuitable for the classroom, but I like the concept and the story.
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Death
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Doctor Who: The Last Voyage
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll
  • The Alchemy of Mirrormask
  • Torchwood: Dead Line
  • Torchwood: Asylum
  • Torchwood: The Devil and Miss Carew
  • The Collectors (His Dark Materials, #0.6)
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • The Sandman Papers: An Exploration of the Sandman Mythology