Start by marking “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” as Want to Read:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  19 reviews
London, 1899. As the British Empire lies in mortal jeopardy, a top-secret initiative unites several of the most illustrious (and sometimes infamous) personages of the age: Allan Quartermain, famed explorer and adventurer; Captain Nemo, master of the undersea submersible Nautilus; Dr. Henry Jekyll, and his brutish alter ego, Mr. Hyde; Rodney Skinner, the Invisible Man; Dori ...more
Published July 17th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Andre
This novelization of the film of the same name was a nice little read. It was an ok book, fitting if you want to relax and not think about something too much without running the risk to be infuriated by bad writing. It is not a book I would say you need to read but its also not something that would be a waste of time in my eyes. Actually I think it works much better than the film and while Minar Harper does not use her vampirism often it at least is used much better than I had seen in many later ...more
Mina
This was so completely awful and terrible I can't believe I finished it. Commitment to the cause is what kept me going.
Dottie
OMG were do I begin!
In this book the author brings many of the charectors we have read about, for example. Dorian Gray, the invisable man, Sherlock Holmes, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Dracula,Nemo and many more. A group of herions with special skills group uo to stop the Fantom from bringing the world to an end as we know it. Many of our favorite charectors come back to life and take us on another great adventure.
Mike
The graphic novel by Alan Moore (Watchmen) was better. The novelization and movie changed the story quite a bit. The villains were different and the characters of Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray were added for the movie. Alan Quartermain was not the leader of the group, Mia was, and she was not a vampire in the original story.
The second graphic novel has The League involved in The War of the Worlds. Check it out.
Paul Wells
OK as a film novalisation, and possibly a bit better than the film, though still not as good as the original graphic novel, and to be honest it;s not a great novel in its own right.

But I'm a sucker for stories using characters from other stories, always have liked them - just wish there'd been more flesh on the bones to this.
Cara
Despite what others think, I always loved the movie and so I was very excited when I found that there was a novelization of said movie. I read the graphic novels first and I must say that I loved this version much more than the original.
It was just so much more interesting with Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer and I like Skinner better than Griffin because he's not a backstabbing cowardly shit who betrays the League to Martians.
The book is almost identical to the film with a few little additions: some
Brian
It followed the movie very closely, but didn't give me the depth and build up of suspense I expect from a book. I know the movie was made from the graphic novel, and this book was made from the movie. I've heard good things about the graphic novel, so I'm going to give that a go next.
Clara
After reading this, I kind of want to read the source material for the characters. While this and the film are essentially the same thing, just different format, it would be nice to read the original graphic novel as well.
Anyway, I digress. This as a book is a short, entertaining read for those who enjoy a decent adventure novel now and then, and don't necessarily want to know the entire back story of each character to get to the action. This book does a good job of giving enough character infor
Dark-Draco
This is the novelisation of the recent movie. Set in 1899, this tells the story of a secret agency set up to combat the elusive 'Fantom', who is plotting to throw the world into war. The agency recruits the best. Allan Quartermain, Africa adventurer; Captain Nemo, Captain of the Nautilus; Henry Jekell and his alter ego Mr Hyde; Rodey Skinner, the Invisible Man; Dorian Gray, the indestructible; Mina Harker, beautiful survivor of the Dracula; and Tom Sawyer, the young American secret agent. But ca ...more
Tom Lyle
A novel, based on a film, based on a graphic novel? Why not just read the graphic novel?

Like the atrociously bad film adaptation, this book has virtually nothing to do with the plot of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen outside of certain members of the cast. It has the same plotholes and the pointless additions of Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer to the main cast, but the author at least makes some effort to let the characters actually somewhat resemble their comic book counterparts, though the fi
Rex Libris
Quite a lametastick book. Highly don't recommend it. The original graphic novel was a very interesting treatment of this concept. Take a pack of literary characters and throw them together and battle the bad guys. The novelization of the movie (and I am assuming the movie itself) went in the wrong direction. The original "cast" in the graphic novels was Alan Quartermain, Mina Harker, Captain Nemo, Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, and the Invisible Man. The movie version throws in in Dorian Gray and Tom Sawye ...more
Alan Mendelsohn
Very cheesy plot but the characters are so cool
Vasco Ribeiro
O livro é a romanceação do guião do filme (que tive o cuidado de ver simultaneamente, mas sem legendas em Português). Por isso o livro foi-me um precioso auxílio para perceber aquilo que não tinha apanhado nas falas do filme.
A acção tem o ritmo do filme, consegue reproduzir as piadas da coloquialidade e, no género, parece-me muito bom.
O que achei estranho foi não acabar da mesma forma, ou seja, o filme abre a porta a uma sequela, ao contrário do livro em que tudo parece terminar quando os heróis
Travis
Yes, I'm one of the eight people who liked the movie. I love the LoEG comic, but lets face it, Moore tends to revel in the grim and distasteful details and his Quartermain could be a bit of a wuss.
This was one of the better adaptions as it fleshes out some vague/weak bits in the movie and fixes a couple that seemed too short or clunky, as well as smoothing some of the hard edges of the heroes.
Fun read.

Basically, if you liked the movie, you'll like the book.
Beka
This is a book version of the movie, not vice versa. So really it's just like watching the movie with a little extra insight in the character's thoughts.
Kayleigh
I really liked this novelization because it gives you the movie, but with more details and specifics of the characters and emotions involved.
Kay Brady
I wavers from the story a little but i good book all around
Victor Orozco
Nice adaptation. Just not as strong as the movie. C+
Mallory
One of my fave movies :D
Novelizedea
Novelizedea marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
James Pasier
James Pasier marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mo
Mo added it
Jul 19, 2015
Greta
Greta is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 08, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
  • King Arthur
  • Verity Hart vs. the Vampyres Omnibus
  • Justice League of America/Batman: The Stone King
  • Van Helsing
  • The Ebb Tide (The Narbondo Series, #4)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • The Dark Knight
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
  • Superman, Last Son of Krypton
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • Der Hexer von Salem (Der Hexer von Salem, #1)
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Like Clockwork
  • Syncopated: An Anthology of Nonfiction Picto-Essays
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)