Start by marking “Writing Kind of Day, A” as Want to Read:
Writing Kind of Day, A

Writing Kind of Day, A

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is the beginning of a poem about making a snow angel, but it might also refer to the mysterious way that a person comes into being and takes on a life of its own. In his new collection, Ralph Fletcher shows how you can write a poem about almost anything: a baby sister, a Venus's-flytrap, a failing grandmother, a squished squirrel, romantic disasters, grammar homework, ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Wordsong (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Kind of Day, A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Kind of Day, A

Katie
Apr 13, 2010 Katie added it
Shelves: poetry-books
Genre: Poetry

Number of pages: 32

Grade level/age: 3rd-8th grade

Theme: writing process

Summary:
This is the day to write! Ralph Fletcher takes his readers on a journey to discover the process of writing poems. Expressing that poems do not always have to rhyme; but they can. They do not always have to be funny, they can be serious too.

Personal Response:
At first, I did not like this book. I thought that the words in his poems did not play with each other enough to be considered a poem. H
Srb
This book is written as a collection of poems that almost tells the story of a boy throughout the course of a day. Although it isn't for certain that it is one day, it starts with a beginning of day poem and finishes with a nighttime poem, so one could assume that the events could have all occurred in the course of a single day.

I think this book is powerful for students because they can explore different elements of poetry through the eyes of a peer writing poetry. They can learn about white spa
Esther Choi
This poetry book teaches how to write poetry from nothing. It goes over parts of speech, writer’s block, five-paragraph essays, metaphor, the creative process, etc. All the poems in this book have multiple layers of meaning. Some were written about the most random things. The message of the author is that anything can be poetry. It would be really good to use with students in 5th and 6th grade when they are learning that poems don't always have to rhyme, and that anything with emotion and feelin ...more
Jamie Tedesco
This would be a good example to use to show that every writing has a purpose and that that purpose can change or even be interpreted in many ways.
Taylor Darst
The book is full of poems that are fun to read with the children. Most of the poems are rhyming so they are fun to read.
WKWyverns
4K got this first.
Melanie
My kids and I really enjoyed these clever poems.
Bethe
Great collection of poems, many on the process of writing poems and the usage of figurative language. Particularly poignant are the poems about his grandma an the snow angel. Hungry For Poetry, The Wordpecker, and Venus Flytrap Rap made me laugh. Wish this book was still available from the vendor.
Relyn
Mar 11, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
I discovered Ralph Fletcher through a book called Grandpa Never Lies. I used it to teach visualizing because his words were so lyrical. As I explored more of his work, I discovered that he is a poet. I've been enjoying his work so much and am eager to share it with my students.
This book helps students get into the art of writing poetry. From this book students can get ideas and see actual poems written. They can learn about different styles of poetry and they can realize that you can write a poem about anything really.
Beth
Apr 26, 2009 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry lovers, teachers teaching poetry
Shelves: poetry
Fabulous poetry collection. I love how the poems in this book are about writing poems and the joys and frustrations that come from it. Definitely a collection I would love to add to my classroom library.
Jimmy
What I loved about these poems was how Fletcher made them seem like they were written by a young child. He's made a living just focusing on kids and poetry. His positive reputation is well deserved.
Megan Staten
This is a collection of poetry about writing. Some of them rhyme, which would be a great way to instruct children. The poems also show how every piece of writing has a purpose.
Alexa
Loved it! I don't often read poetry books, but this was really good! Proves you can write a poem about just about anything
Ms. Brown
Thoughtful, funny, sad. These poems make me want to write my own!

Ralph Fletcher is my new favourite poet.
Joanna Liska
I can't wait to use this with young poets!!! Thank you Ralph!
Ryan
Great for figurative language and close reads for poetry.
Qwendy
Qwendy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sheri
Sheri added it
Oct 18, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 29, 2014
Thing Two
Thing Two marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a ...more
More about Ralph Fletcher...
Flying Solo Fig Pudding Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You Craft Lessons