The Craft of Scientific Writing

The Craft of Scientific Writing

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Designed to help both professional and student scientists and engineers write clearly and effectively, this text approaches the subject in a fresh way. Using scores of examples from a wide variety of authors and disciplines, the author - himself a writer and physicist -- demonstrates the difference between strong and weak scientific writing, and how to convey ideas to the...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Springer (first published December 31st 1986)

Murphy Waggoner
Jul 18, 2013 Murphy Waggoner rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students and professionals in the sciences
I read the reviews for this book and would like to respond to some.

The book was not necessarily intended as a read-once-through-and-get-everything-there-is-to-know kind of book, but rather as a reference. I pull both of Alley's books off the shelf frequently to reread examples and get a refresher course. So, those who tried to read it through at one go were looking for a different type of book.

Others said there was more to learn from reading scientific journals. As Alley points out, sometimes we...more
Dharma Iswara
This book is great for those who find difficulties on writing Dissertation, Final Assignment...It really helps!!!!!!

Buku ini sangat membantu untuk menulis TA, Disertasi, Paper, Makalah, Laporan, dan sejenisnya!!!...Thank God buku ini akhirnya ada!!!!
Benne
So I'm a scientist struggling (like we all are) to write clearly and succinctly. This books tackles everything that one needs to write well and gives examples how to do so. Not one-liners that should fit all but good advice. Written with humor.
Georgiana
Didn't finish this, I abandoned ship about 2/3 into the book. It's not a bad book, but I think there's more to learn from reading scientific articles than from reading this book. Most of the advice was pretty obvious stuff.
Blake Nelson
Started out well, but is about 2-3 times longer than it should have been and I just lost interest about 3/4 of the way through.
John Jaksich
John Jaksich marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Raju Manuel
Raju Manuel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Aaron
Aaron added it
Mar 01, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Albert
Albert is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Frank
Frank is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Christopher Szu
Christopher Szu marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Adam Ryman
Adam Ryman is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2014
Vassilis
Vassilis marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Denise
Denise added it
Oct 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Craft of Scientific Presentations: Critical Steps to Succeed and Critical Errors to Avoid The Craft of Editing: A Guide for Managers, Scientists, and Engineers The Craft of Scientific Presentations: Critical Steps to Succeed and Critical Errors to Avoid Craft of Scientific Writing Walking on Water and Other Stories