Start by marking “Tales of Oliver Pig” as Want to Read:
Tales of Oliver Pig

Tales of Oliver Pig

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Using their cache of already published easy-to-read books, Puffin launched their Easy-to-Read program. Favorite stories by such beloved authors as James Marshall, Jean Van Leeuwen, and Harriet Ziefert are certain to attract readers to this series. Though the quality of stories in this series is uneven, some of them are superb. Like most other beginning-to-read series, Puff...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Oliver Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Oliver Pig

Sarah Sammis
Sean and Harriet love it when I read a story to both of them. Their favorite type of story to share is one about siblings. A recent story that we enjoyed together is Tales of Oliver Pig by Jean Van Leeuwen and illustrated by Arnold Lobel.

Oliver is about five and his sister Amanda is about one. Their closeness in age to Sean and Harriet added to their enjoyment of the book. Oliver has great plans and Amanda wants to do what her big brother is doing but she sometimes gets in the way. Oliver and A...more
Randie
I am a fan of Lobel's illustrations. His pigs are my favorite.

This book is great for children who are just becoming comfortable with reading. There are plenty of sight words but also new vocabulary that will require basic decoding skills.

Oliver Pig likes to squabble with his sister, Amanda, but he can also be very caring towards her. Other children just beginning to read might be able to connect with this sibling bond.

The snowsuit story was hilarious!
Kirei
This book is really similar as the "Little Bear" series, but I don't think it is quite as charming. There is one part where the Mother Pig cries, and I didn't understand why. Was it because her love for her children made her emotional? Or because Grandmother Pig was leaving?

I think Little Bear was an only child, but Oliver the Pig has a little sister, so this book is good for helping kids get along with siblings.
Christine
Charming stories, darling drawings, everyday situations. I love when the mother starts to cry after the kids have taken their hats, mittens, scarves, and boots off while she rushes to don her own winter clothes.
Jake
This is a great bedtime book, because there are 5 small stories in the book. We loved the last one, where Oliver's dad was pretending to not be able to find him as he hid in his room. So silly!
Amy Murray
I remember reading this book when I was younger--it was one of the first books I could read on my own, probably in the first or second grade. I love it as much now as I did then!
Amanda
Emma needed help with a few word. However, she was able to read the story smoothly and she seemed to enjoy it. She was able to re-tell the entire bad day chapter.
I actually preferred Oliver and his sister, Amanda to Frog and Toad. A bit edgier, Oliver and Amanda are refreshingly flawed. Much, much easier to relate to.
Betsy
My kids have discovered Oliver the Pig! I like the older ones illustrated by Lobel better, but my kids enjoy them all.
Angela
Cute, well-done series. Oliver is often in social situations similar to those kids face. Good stories.
Jen (Fefferbooks)
Purchased for my collection.
Jole Holchak
Jole Holchak marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
April Neafus
April Neafus marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 20, 2014
carioca
carioca marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Ben
Ben added it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When I was growing up in the small town of Rutherford, New Jersey, I was always called a tomboy. That was because I loved riding bikes, climbing trees, and playing baseball with the boys in the neighborhood. When I finally came inside, I had another name: bookworm. I was seldom seen without a book in my hand. In the summertime, I would go to the library and come back with as many books as I could...more
More about Jean Van Leeuwen...
Bound for Oregon Chicken Soup Cabin on Trouble Creek Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper The Great Cheese Conspiracy