Start by marking “One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1)

One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  896 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
A new series featuring NYPD homicide detective Sigrid Harald There was more than coffee in Professor Quinn's morning coffee. Someone in the art department office had slipped in a spoonful of poison. Among the suspects are a young secretary, an enraged Hungarian maintenance man, and a colleague who had an affair with Quin's wife. NYPD detective Sigrid Harold is called in to ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Severn House Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about One Coffee With, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Coffee With

Linda Baker
Oct 27, 2011 Linda Baker rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, but had never given much thought to reading the Sigrid Harald series. It just seemed too different from Deborah Knott to interest me that much. That was before I read the most recent Knott mystery, Three Day Town, in which Sigrid played a part. I found her an interesting character, one with an intriguing back story alluded to in Three Day Town.

As this first novel in an eight book series was written in 1982, it was a bit like a trip back in
Cathy Cole
Margaret Maron is an author that I keep meaning to read-- especially after having read and enjoyed her first Judge Deborah Knott mystery-- and I keep getting sidetracked. First published in 1982, One Coffee With takes Maron back to her beginnings as a writer, and her introduction to this newest release should not be missed.

However the novel itself shows her inexperience at the time. The book is so focused on the minute ins and outs of the Art Department that the story takes much too long to get
Kilian Metcalf
Jun 12, 2014 Kilian Metcalf rated it liked it
In my worldview people read mysteries for two different reasons: they either focus on the puzzle elements or they enjoy the comedy of manners that the characters play out against the setting. I'm in the second category. I don't care much who killed whom or why, but I enjoy the interplay among the characters. If the books are in an interesting setting, so much the better. I loved Maron's Judge Deborah Knott series from the beginning. Judge Knott is a hoot, and Colleton, South Carolina, is as much ...more
Cooper
Mar 27, 2016 Cooper rated it liked it
I've been reading Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series and throughly enjoying the thrills of her whodunnit stories. After reading 'Three Day Town' and being introduced to Lt Harald and I picked up the first in that series.

Within the first few chapters, there are numerous characters thrown at us and at times I had to go back to figure out who was who. It starts a little slow but soon picks up as the hunt for the murder of a local professor gets into full swing. What I really enjoyed is reading L
Debbie Maskus
This is my first venture into the Sigrid Harold series, and I must admit that I struggled with this short book. I felt that a giant tome like Victor Hugo's Les Miserables had been placed in my hands. I actually stopped reading this book, and moved to another book which is something I do not do. Sigrid Harold stands like an ice princess with no emotions and an apartment devoid of a human touch. Margaret Maron seems to be toying with her characterization of Sigrid. What will be her definite attrib ...more
Chris
Jul 14, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done, mystery, reread, 2013
2.5 stars. I can't figure out why I liked this mystery so much the first time I read it roughly 10 years ago. It has not aged well.
Ellen Moore
Feb 22, 2014 Ellen Moore rated it liked it
This book seemed slow to start to me. It also had a huge number of characters tied to the college setting, so I had some difficulty keeping all of them straight or understanding their connection to the victim. Once the detectives were involved, the investigation proceded in an orderly fashion; and Sigrid and her partner worked well together. I recognized a couple of characters who appear in later novels of this series since I have not read these books in order. I did not like this book as much a ...more
Hope
I'd like to give this 3.5 stars. The mystery was good, which counts for a lot to me. The characterizations were generally good; the secondary characters more so than the main character. While the plot very much stands alone, the main character herself has more questions than answers. This was very clearly written as the first book in a series with an overarching character arc. In a way, Lt. Harald's story arc ends on a cliffhanger in this book.

If I had read this book when I was 9 - when it firs
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This is the first in a mystery series starring one of my all-time favorite detectives, Sigrid Harald. Each time I reread this I'm reminded how much I really enjoy her "presence". That intelligent, prickly, sharp-edged but actually gentle woman is a superb creation, and the mystery plots ain't bad either. Entire series is highly recommended.

Ms. Maron's first mystery novel is quite a polished accomplishment, with its excellent plot and wonderful characterizations. Herein we meet Lt.
Linda
Feb 25, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
I read this book ages ago and just finished rereading it for my Mystery Loves Company discussion. My rating remains the same. It was a good read but the cast of characters a bit difficult to keep straight at first. I especially liked the character Tillie and the diagram of the murder scene that he drew--a nod to mysteries of the past. I only wish a list of characters had also been included as was sometimes done in old mysteries as well. Maron played fair but added a surprise twist at the end whi ...more
Nikki
Margaret Maron's first novel after (according to her introduction to this Kindle edition) many years of writing only short stories, introduces New York City policewoman Sigrid Harald. Although I've been enjoying Maron's Deborah Knott series since the beginning, I was never very interested in the earlier series. But now that Maron introduced Harald into the Deborah Knott series with Three Day Town, I thought I should go back and read at least one of the Harald books.

It is somewhat evident that On
Jessie
Though the protagonist is a police detective, not an amateur sleuth, and the story is set in New York City, not a small town, this book reads like a cozy. The academic community becomes the village setting, the bickering and interplay of the staff and students just like a small town. The motive, attention to detail and nuance, spot-on characterization, and deceptively simple plot are all hallmarks of a good cozy. However it is like a police procedural in that there is a lot of plodding about and ...more
Candy Wood
It has been a while since I read any of Margaret Maron's mysteries, and this one is a kind of time machine. Published in 1982, it brings back memories of typewriters and pantsuits. This art department of a New York City college has a young, blonde secretary, only one woman professor, and a slide library, and everyone smokes. The detective, Lieutenant Sigrid Harald, is the only woman investigating homicides, making her way methodically among prejudiced behavior of male colleagues, interviews by g ...more
Jan
Jun 30, 2014 Jan rated it it was ok
I really like later books by this author, so I thought I'd check out this vintage book when I spotted it at the library. I mostly pushed through it because I felt challenged to solve the Whodunnit puzzle it presented. The negative for me was the flatness of the characters. Maron's later work clearly reflects both a maturing of her skill and perhaps an increased demand by the reading public for more complex characters.
JodiP
Aug 02, 2015 JodiP rated it really liked it
This was the first full-length mystery that McMahon had written and it was full of fascinating characters populating the art department of one of the schools of the city of New York. It was fun to watch the main detective blossom as well and I’m intrigued by the possibility of a relationship between her and the art department's director. The mystery was great, I loved how she set a trap to capture the real killer.
Ed
Feb 07, 2015 Ed rated it it was ok
By the numbers.
One-dimensional characters, dull story, nothing special at all. Knowing how well-regarded Maron's Knott mysteries are, when I chanced on this first book in another series, set in NYC, I thought I would find it interesting. It was anything but, and it makes me wonder whether I want to read any of the mysteries in the Knott series.
Dail Sams
Jan 20, 2016 Dail Sams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An appealing introduction to a complex woman who has followed in her father's footsteps to become a NYC police detective. Sigrid Harald is a quiet, intelligent woman utterly unaware of her own beauty. In this introduction, she investigates the murder of an art professor, generally hated in his university department.
Ed
Feb 26, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#1 in the Sigrid Harald series.

NYPD Lt. Sigrid Harald series - Murder strikes the Art Department of Vanderlyn College. Who poisoned the deputy chairman's morning coffee? Everyone in the department had both motive and opportunity and it will take Lt. Harald’s cool, level-headedness to determine who the killer is before he – or she – strikes again.
Cyn Mcdonald
Happy to see this on the library shelf after so long out of print and unavailable. Intriguing story that doesn't read at all like a first novel. Interesting to see the first appearances of Sigrid Harald and Oscar Nauman. I've just requested the second book in the series so I can read them all in order.
Ellen Schauer
Apr 07, 2015 Ellen Schauer rated it really liked it
A time capsule of 1970s New York City academia. A couple of times, I distracted myself from drier parts by attempting to cast the movie, but mostly, I devoured the lively interaction between the (only occasionally stereotypical) characters. Slightly telegraphed ending, but otherwise enjoyable.
Sharla
Oct 27, 2013 Sharla rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I would have liked this book as much if I hadn't read a couple of the later ones in this series first. I already knew I liked the Sigrid character so that helped me to keep going even though the first three chapters were a bit boring. The early chapters did set up the story and introduce suspects and main characters. Things don't really get interesting until chapter four but after that it picks up nicely. Margaret Maron is most famous for her much more popular series set in North Ca ...more
Anne
Aug 15, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
I read the Sigrid Harald books years ago and was disappointed when Marin turned to Deborah Knott completely. I read that she is going to do another Harald book and decided to refresh my memory. I really like the character and love the back drop of NYC.
Marina Sinelnikova
Jul 18, 2016 Marina Sinelnikova rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Enjoyable police procedural, characters nice if a bit stereotypical; I liked the protagonist even though she felt much less uncertain and standoffish than the text was telling us. Not sure about the romance subplot though.
Martha Nance
Aug 24, 2015 Martha Nance rated it liked it
My first Margaret Maron novel. This one is a pretty good tale if a little simplistic. Still, the ending was a surprise. I wish there was a 3.5 star rating. Better than a 3 but not really a 4. Think I definitely will try more in this series.
Beth Schmelzer
Jan 01, 2016 Beth Schmelzer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the first of her mysteries after having read so many of her Deborah Knott series books and after having met her at a conference. An amazingly creative author!
April
Oct 26, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Very different than Deborah Knott series. If I hadn't met Sigrid Harald in that series, I probably would have given up before the book became interesting several chapters in.
Christine Boris
Oct 29, 2014 Christine Boris rated it it was ok
I loved Margaret Maron's book Last Lessons of Summer, so I thought I'd try one of her series books. Very much a "cozy mystery" but not my cup of tea.
Debra J Corcione
Glad

Glad it was free as it was boring and slow and made me feel depressed for the lady detective. Ending was a joke.
Lori Henrich
This would kind of be 2.5 stars for me. I kind of liked it but it didn't really flow well for me. I got this for free to try. Since it was just ok for me, I will try one more to be sure how I really feel.

A member of the staff of a New York college is poisoned and Sigrid Harald is assigned the case. It is a tricky case with many who could be the suspect. I kind got confused with some of the characters and the character of the lead detective didn't seem real natural. She kind of came off strange t
Cindy
Hmmmmm. Def a first in a series, and with a not quite sure detective. I'll go ahead and read book two - I want to know how Oscar changes this rather unaware of herself detective into the one I met in Three Day Town.
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Cavalier in White (Joanna Stark, #1)
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • The Sirens Sang of Murder (Hilary Tamar, #3)
  • Deadly Gamble
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
  • Two Widows and the Thrift Store Murders
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Sigrid Harald (8 books)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald, #2)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)