How Like a Leaf: An Interview with Donna Haraway

How Like a Leaf: An Interview with Donna Haraway

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The author of four seminal works on science and culture, Donna Haraway here speaks for the first time in a direct and non-academic voice. How Like a Leaf will be a welcome inside view of the author's thought.
Published November 3rd 1999 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about How Like a Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Like a Leaf

Cameron Kunzelman
This is a great interview with Donna Haraway where she synthesizes some of the major themes of her work into readable and clear language. I think this would be the perfect introduction to her work for anyone interested in it.
Tessa
Jan 07, 2008 Tessa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scientists and People who have read Haraway's other work
Donna J. Haraway's books and essays largely call for scientists, critics, and other producers of knowledge to situate themselves and acknowledge the impact that their personal history and experiences have on their assumptions and definitions of truth. However, a frequent criticism of her work is that she doesn't really situate her self in any detail at all, a charge which, I think, is answered by this book. She goes into great detail about her background as a biologist and about the webs of kins...more
Cynthia
I was stretching my mind, but some of this was well beyond me. It tied to the book, He, she and it, by Marge Piercy. Good exercise. The idea of cyborg as metaphor is intriguing. Still want to explore her definition. The rating I gave has more to do with my limitations than the author's.
Cynthia
I rented this book for Haraway's discussion of diffraction, but ending up reading the entire book (it's a short one). Couldn't put this one down.
Kate
Interesting for the personal details revealed, but far less intellectual bang for your buck than her other works.
katie
the best introduction to haraway and her ideas. phenomenal voice in feminism, in science.
Jo Dagustun
an excellent introduction to Donna's thinking
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Inga
Inga marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 10, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
May 16, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Hgiyom
Hgiyom marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Azam
Azam added it
Feb 28, 2014
Azam
Azam added it
Feb 28, 2014
Kate Zen
Kate Zen marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Arbara
Arbara marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2014
Oleuanna
Oleuanna marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Ellery
Ellery added it
Jan 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Donna Jeanne Haraway is the chair of the History of Consciousness program at the University of California Santa Cruz. She writes and lectures on techno-science and feminist theory. Haraway is famous for her 1991 essay A Cyborg Manifesto .
More about Donna J. Haraway...
Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: The Reinvention of Nature When Species Meet The Companion Species Manifesto: Dogs, People, and Significant Otherness Modest_witness@second_millennium.Femaleman_meets_oncomouse: Feminism and Technoscience Primate Visions: Gender, Race, and Nature in the World of Modern Science