Start by marking “Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1)” as Want to Read:
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1)

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster #1)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  6,681 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
An ice-cold killer is on the loose, and brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma is the only one who can stop him! Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing indictment of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller. Tenma risks his promising medical career to save the life of a critically wounded young boy. Unbeknownst to him, this child is d ...more
Paperback, VIZ Signature Edition, 221 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by VIZ Media (first published December 5th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
61st out of 860 books — 3,265 voters
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro MiuraVagabond, Vol. 1 by Takehiko Inoue20th Century Boys, Band 1 by Naoki UrasawaPLUTO by Naoki Urasawa
Great Seinen Manga
1st out of 137 books — 194 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 07, 2013 V rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, reviewed, manga
This manga may hands down be one of the best that I have ever read. And I do not make that statement lightly. I may not have the biggest manga shelf in the world, but what I have read of Monster makes me want to sing its praises from the rooftops. It's very rare in my history of reading manga for me to have given 4 or 5 star ratings with every single volume I've read. Usually with manga you get one bum volume every now and again, with a story arc that goes nowhere or just silly one-shot gag sett ...more
Wow! Really promising start to the series. The story is fantastic.
Dec 09, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
One of my first experiences with Urasawa's work. The story is enthralling, following the story of Dr. Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon working in Germany. Faced with a moral dilemma regarding the value and equality of life, Dr. Tenma makes a decision that will forever change his life.

This story has more twists and turns than many other suspense stories, and while it has slow parts at times, the entire story weaves together like a tapestry to reveal the greater story; the tragedy of Kinderheim and
Jun 15, 2011 Katya rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2011, thriller
All I have to say is, it's good that they don't count manga as YA (like they do with everything with a teen protagonist nowadays), or else the pearl-clutchers would have had a heart attack by now.
Jul 23, 2010 Dora rated it it was amazing
One of the most tense and frightening manga series of all time is also filled with unexpected heart, warmth, and optimism. Dr Kenzo Tenma has everything he could want; as an up-and-coming brilliant Japanese surgeon living in Germany, he has a promising career ahead of him. He's friendly, popular with his peers, and is even engaged to the hospital director's daughter, Eva. That all changes one night when two patients are brought into emergency simultaneously; one the city mayor, and the other a y ...more
Melissa Chung
Aug 14, 2016 Melissa Chung rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable 4 star manga. A crime thriller mystery with hospital politics.

I read a lot of horror manga and they usually are really weird and not that scary. This manga wasn't scary either but it had a great mystery. I had a feeling I knew who the killer was, but didn't know how the killings were happening.

Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a neurosurgeon. He has just transferred from his home in Japan to a prestigious Eisler Memorial Hospital in Germany.

Dr. Tenma moved from Japan to Germany because
Nov 28, 2015 Anirudh rated it really liked it
Creepy as hell. Great psychological thriller
--- Monster 1-18 ---
Plot: Rumit dan penggambaran situasinya benar-benar bikin bergidik.
Gambar: Ok
Penokohan: Karakterisasi tokohnya menurutku matang.

Serasa tidak cukup dengan komiknya, saya sampai melahap pula versi adaptasi anime-nya yang tidak kalah menakutkan batin. Bahkan ending song-nya juga bikin merinding disko! (Maaf ya, siapapun penyanyinya). Monster menyajikan kisah mengenai protagonis utama kita sebagai seorang dokter bedah. Tapi takdirnya mulai bergerak-- saat menangani operasi seoran
Aug 01, 2010 Aneesa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a good story that makes them think deeply
Shelves: drama-horror
Can I ever really explain how much I love this Manga? No. It's on an entirely different world of it's own in which I have no experience writing about, but I will try. It isn't simply a Manga, it's everything you've ever wanted. It's expands on all specters of the world and delves deeply into the dimensions of life; mentally, spiritually and emotionally. I have yet to come across another like it and I'm sure I never will.

Don't believe in anything I've said? Well it's one of those experience-to-u
Feb 10, 2012 Radek rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of thrillers, detective stories and Urasawa Naoki.
Urasawa Naoki is interesting mangaka. He kept drawing sports manga for about ten years before he actually started to write what he wanted. The first of his unique thriller detective stories is Monster.

Doctor Tenma Kenzou is a very talented brain surgeon from Japan. He studied in Germany where he starts working at hospital in Düsseldorf. Everything is going really smoothly for him as he enjoys both personal and professional success. But one day he is placed between two patients in critical condit
Oct 06, 2012 Ishmaelax rated it did not like it
Review for the whole series.

I seriously cannot understand why everyone loves this. There are awfully many plot holes (characters knowing things they shouldn't know without explanation etc.), many characters behave irrationally (the whole story is based around Tenma's constantly switching irrational choices!), its central plot elements are very silly ideas ((view spoiler)), it is very unfocused and long-winded constantly mix
May 17, 2016 Mel rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first volume of this new Manga series! It has such an interesting plot and I think the best part is the setting. I absolutely adore that the setting is hospitals and especially in Germany. I will say I found the mystery of this first volume predictable, but I can totally see this going in an amazing direction later in the series.
I gave it 4 stars for a slow start, but I can definitely see this improving.
Oct 08, 2016 Zaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The medical setting was a nice change and I enjoyed the way the mangaka addressed some ethical problems. This first volume had a good mysterious atmosphere but the outcome felt unrealistic (I don't think the murderer could have this knowledge for the first case) so I suppose that more is involved. Overall, a good and intriguing start.
Oct 26, 2007 Martina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naoki-urasawa
a great psychological thriller comic! the idea of the book is very fantastic. It's about a doctor (Dr.Tenma) who saved a little boy who turns out to be a serial killer when he grow up. The doctor feel responsible (for saving the boy's life) so he sacrifice his life trying to stop the boy. I cant stop reading it from the first book..very intense. If you like psychology, mysteries, thriller, u'll love this comic!
Apr 05, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing, this is a definite must-read for...pretty much anyone. I'd describe it overall as an excellent mystery/thriller/adventure story, brilliantly fleshed out, but the characters are actually well-rounded and alive, not at all what I'm used to finding in manga or comics.

A mature manga that deals so much with history and psychology and war.
Joshua Fialkov
Jun 15, 2008 Joshua Fialkov rated it it was amazing
Urasawa's use of suspense is second to none. A complete and utter piece of genius, Monster gives proof not just to readers but to creators of manga and graphic novels that this medium is ready to be used and abused for much grander things than we've seen before.

A complete masterwork that'll leave you aching for Viz to finish releasing the series.

Just... wow.

Even though this isn't my type of story, I was in awe.

The amount of detail... The suspense... It was almost too much for me.

This was an impressive thriller.

I'm not sure if I can handle more of this series. It's that nail-bitingly-on-edge of a book.

May 31, 2015 Yaya rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
In terms of enjoyment about a 3.5, I didn't get into it until chapter 7 and that's the penultimate chapter..., but considering it's a manga, it earns a 4 in quality.
Miguel Troncão
Sep 03, 2015 Miguel Troncão rated it really liked it
This was probably one of the few books that actually got me addicted. This does not mean it is the best book I've read, by far, but it is a very addictive reading. The fast paced action, mixed with great character development, interesting sub-plots that get interlaced with the main storyline, which keeps adding new layers in each volume, makes this manga one of the best detective/mistery stories out there. Although the last volume, nr. 18, leaves a kind of sour taste in your mouth, not deliverin ...more
Luis Escobar
Feb 23, 2016 Luis Escobar rated it it was amazing
Simplemente genial. Un gran argumento, gran villano y buen final para mi. Su adaptación al anime es bastante fiel al manga, por eso su duración de unos 70 capítulos.
Un thriller con bastante misterio que te atrapa de principio a fin, aunque en varias partes el argumento se vuelve lento. Por mi fanatismo por las obras de Conan Doyle, suma puntos el tener un detective en busca del protagonista, obviamente basado en sherlock holmes.
Me hizo acordar bastante al psicoanalista. Tanto por el protagonist
May 29, 2016 Casey rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, seinen-manga
This is my review and rating for the whole series. The first volume I initially rated 4 stars.

I read 20th Century Boys by Urasawa before this. I didn't really like it and was annoyed by that maddening Friend. Monster isn't as maddening, but it does the same thing were it drags everything out so long.

I got tired of Nina's memory and the threat of Johan being bad. Really, this could have been condensed into half the amount of volumes.

There are side characters galore who all have their tales of mo
the scarecrow
Feb 04, 2013 the scarecrow rated it it was amazing
(I update more regularly on my book review blog, but I try to cross-post the reviews here as often as possible. Sorry for the inconsistency!)

Why did I take so long to read this?

This manga is brilliant. It's rare for me to take to a manga so quickly, if at all, and it was with pleasant surprise that I devoured this first volume and restrained myself from reading the whole series in a sitting. Yes, Monster is just that good.

Creating tangible suspense in a piece of fiction is no easy task. Urasawa
Dec 16, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it
(This review is for the whole series, I'm just chucking it under the first volume because no way am I reviewing all eighteen of these.)

(8/10) Naoki Urasawa deserves a lot of credit for being one of the most consciously adult manga artists out there. This extends even to his art, a mostly realist style that distinctly differs from the stereotypical manga "big eyes, small mouth". But in trying to escape from the juvenile tropes around him Urasawa goes in a different direction than most American ca
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 22, 2015 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic! I absolutely loved it! A crime set in Germany starts off in 1986, then skips ahead to 1995. The twist ending was stunning even though I'd guessed it would turn out the way it did. Lots of medical situations and drama. This would make the perfect starter manga for someone who doesn't like fantasy. I cannot wait to read the next volume! I just have to decide whether to use the library or buy the delicious omnibus editions that are being published now. Hmmm...
Van Reese
Jan 16, 2016 Van Reese rated it liked it
It was a fast read; I finished in one day. I thought it was an interesting story; definitely a Japanese flavor. I couldn't quite go for four, but will give it 3.5 stars. I suppose this is what is called a "graphic novel". It is not a story for your grade schooler; there are definitely parts that are graphic. If you like suspense, I would recommend this book.
Oct 20, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Ummm okay that was freaking amazing and I'm so pissed my library doesn't have anymore copies so I definitely will be investing in purchasing this series. If you are into horror, suspense, and more I would definitely give this manga a try!! It was so good I don't even have the words to describe how much I enjoyed it.
Apr 01, 2015 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, mystery
As a straight mystery manga, it had a solid beginning. I could get into Dr. Tenma's idealism and how people took advantage of him. As a setup, it allowed me to relax into the story, but little besides a string of murders at the end occurred, helping him rise to a real position of power in the hospital. It was kind of slow, but the pace is deliberate and character focused.

Why I am reading it is because I heard this was one of the best sociopathic murder stories ever written. Better than Death No
Maria Maria
Sep 28, 2015 Maria Maria rated it it was amazing
Palavra que define esse mangá: Sensacional!!! Muito viciante, pena que eu só tenha mais um volume pra matar minha fome inesperada porém grata de Monster, Tati Feltrin tinha razão, que mangá phoda!!
Geronimo Laffitte
Oct 27, 2014 Geronimo Laffitte rated it it was amazing
Creo que me estoy enamorando de urasawa
Em "Reacher"
Aug 30, 2016 Em "Reacher" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-jack-reacher
The protagonist of Monster, Dr. Kenzo Tenma, has a lot in common with Jack Reacher, including the following:
1. He has a moral code and he sticks to it;
2. He is on a mission that must be completed at all cost;
3. Ladies find him irresistible.
This holy trifecta pretty much guarantees a stellar plot, and in an ideal parallel universe Reacher and Tenma would team up as a vigilante crime-fighting duo with enough chemistry to rival Cagney and Lacey. This is a firm recommendation.
Book Junkies: January Manga BotM: Monster by Naoki Urasawa 37 52 Jul 27, 2014 05:45AM
  • Black Jack, Vol. 1
  • MPD Psycho, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Vol. 1
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • Vagabond, Volume 1
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's An Endless World! #1)
  • Vinland Saga, Omnibus 1
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • Uzumaki, Vol. 1
  • Banana Fish, Vol. 1
  • Liar Game, Volume 1 (Liar Game, #1)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #1)
  • Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, Volume 1 (Ikigami, #1)
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • Gantz/1
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex
More about Naoki Urasawa...

Naoki Urasawa's Monster (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2: Surprise Party (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #2)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3: 511 Kinderheim (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #3)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 4: Ayse's Friend (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #4)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 5: After the Carnival (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #5)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 6: The Secret Woods (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #6)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 7: Richard (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #7)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 8: My Nameless Hero (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #8)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 9: A Nameless Monster (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #9)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 10: Picnic (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #10)
  • Naoki Urasawa Präsentiert: Monster, Band 11: Toter Winkel (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #11)