Start by marking “The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)

The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A man of solitude, who felt at home among the hills.

A man of conviction, who heard when God called.

A man of fortitude, who spoke to a nation unwilling to listen.

The Israelites rebelled against God and were devoured by war. But first they were warned by a prophet who refused to be turned away.

Amos
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Oasis Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prophet

Melissa
Francine Rivers is just my favorite. Ever. Period. The end.
I SO enjoyed this novella based on Amos. I had just finished studying the biblical book when I began. Rivers places the reader in the country, the time, and among the people of Judah and Bethel. As we read, we live among the sights and sounds, we see and know the people. We abhor them and love them simultaneously, just as Amos does. My absolute favorite part of the book is at the beginning when Amos purposefully injures a wayward lamb in
Sherri
I didn't know anything about this prophet who bears a small book in the Old Testament. Showed me the patience and perseverance he had as well as introducing Hosea.
Gloria
This fourth book in the five book series follows Amos, a Judean who is sent to prophesy to Israel about their destruction. It is based mainly on the book of Amos and the author also introduces a couple of contemporary prophets that were speaking along with Amos at that time.

Amos' profession as a sheep herder gave him unique insights and perceptions of Israel as sheep wandering off without a shepherd and how God felt when his sheep do such things.

The author took significant artistic license in d
Reena Jacobs
Expect my review October 4, 2010 on my website at http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2010/10/n...

Okay. I’ll start by saying, I liked it better than “The Warrior.” Unlike Caleb, I saw Amos experience character growth. He went from a bitter and bloodthirsty man to a humble servant with the well-being of others on his mind. I liked that. Even so, I had one issue. All his growth happened at the beginning of the novella, leaving no room for improvement throughout the rest.

Amos was relentless in his prophesy
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

So we all know that Amos is a small book of the Bible tucked into the back of the Old Testament, but only a few know anything about the man bearing the name. In this book - The Prophet - Francine Rivers mixes fiction with biblical fact to make a story that will hold your attention and have you turning pages as fast as you can. Or in this case siting on the edge of a chair waiting to put in the next audio CD.

I appreciate the gentle balance in which Rivers uses to create a story that wil
Ellen
Like other readers, I went into this book with a scant knowedge of the book that bears this minor prophet's name, but have a greater desire to learn more of the times and life that this man of God lived in. First the tender love Amos has for his sheep was a powerful reminder of the love the Great Shepherd Jesus has for all of his lambs. Beyond that picture we saw the reluctant prophet sent to preach God's word to a land puffed up with its own religiousness and pacified by pride in their own worl ...more
Wanda
The Prophet: Amos is the fourth in the Sons of Encouragement series by Christian author Francine Rivers. In this novel (as well as the others in the series), Ms. Rivers uses excerpts from the Book of Amos as a foundation for the novel. Her fictionalization of the life of this prophet is quite exceptional and engaging. The reader is able to see the beginning and development of the faith of Amos,the shepherd of his family. Amos vies the sheep as members of his family and compare their personalitie ...more
Veronica
Another amazing book in an amazing series. Seriously, everyone should just go out and buy all five books in this series and then read them. These books are just that good.
Luke D
Beautiful! A wonderful story of an obedient prophet. Encouraging, uplifting, challenging! Many lessons are hidden beneath the surface. Greatly brings alive the period (of Jeroboam and Uzziah) in which Amos was prophesying.
Jessi Bayly
I'm going to be honest, I've never really read the whole book of Amos from the Bible. This book gave me a good look into his life. What I most got out of Amos is that Jesus, The Good Shepard, never said my life would be easy if I follow and obey Him, but the reward at the end of my life will be worth it.
My favorite quote is when Amos said, “I’m not a professional prophet,and I was never trained to be one. I’m just a shepherd,and I take care of sycamore-fig trees." God doesn't always call the wi
Nicole
This is the final book of the Sons of Encouragement series. It is probably the most unique of the books; though that doesn't necessarily make it my favorite. This one is a little slow moving, but becaue it is the subject matter is so different from what my experience is, I found it engaging. Amos is a sheperd and has the heart of a shepard, but is called by God to be a prophet. He has no training in the scriptures so is a strange choice for a prophet. Amos is from Judah but is called to speak to ...more
Jolieg G
Vond het verhaal opzich mooi beschreven... aan het eind van het boek staan verschillende vragen en heb daar niets mee gedaan.
Vanessa
Francine Rivers is one of my favorite Christian authors, so I was thrilled to see this new series by her. This is the fourth book in a series called Sons of Encouragement. It is fictional account of the prophet Amos, based on his book in the Old Testament. Amos is a simple shepherd that God calls to preach to his enemies in Bethel, Judah. Amos warns them over and over again to repent and turn away from their wicked ways, but they refuse to listen. Ultimately, God sends a conquering army to teach ...more
Judith
Amos was a shepherd. I loved the way the author describes Amos' life as a shepherd, and the different behaviors of sheep. It makes the bible's descriptions about "we are like sheep" more understandable. Amos was a reluctant prophet. Yet he finds that it is better to be in God's will and do hard work rather than die outside of God's will.
Leah
Of all of the "Sons of Encouragement" series this was the most precious and amazing to me. I guess part of it's allure was how removed a prophet's place in our culture today really is. It was so amazing to see what Amos's life could have been like and what being called to be a prophet looked like as well. This is a book worth reading.
Crystal
Like always, as soon as I walk away from one of her books, I am compelled to go to the Bible. She simply has an incredible gift for giving characters of the Bible flesh and blood you can imagine without compromising the integrity of the word. This one is about Amos.
Jessica
slow start but the main character was a shepherd and the book is based on history. I am glad I read it because I will remember the story of Amos. Some of what he went through made me do some self evaluation and I hope to grow as a person from that.
Shannon
This was the fourth in a five book series and was my favorite so far. While it is a fictional account of the prophet Amos, all of his prophecies are here. I love how Francine Rivers brings this man to life! I highly recommended this one!
Joy DeKok
The life of this prophet broke my heart. I wept for him and then for all the prophets whose lives were devoted to God and His message. This was the hardest book in the series to read, and in a strange way, my favorite.
Maryellen
This book is a pretty quick read and while informative, doesn't pack the narrative power of Ms. River's "Redeeming Love". The story of Amos itself doesn't have the "action" of the other novel, so guess it can be expected.
Jami
Just went and read this one quickly because I really liked "Unspoken" in the girls series. If anyone is looking for something brief and powerful but not requiring oobers of neurons gotta read these!
Kim♥
Awesome book. One of my favorites from Francine Rivers. It changed my view of the Lord as my Shepherd and endeared the prophets to me. I loved Hosea's appearance in the book also.
Muphyn
Certainly not her best - it's really 2.5 stars as it's a little more than 'Ok' but I can't say I really liked it either. Too boring in parts for that.
Jeri
I put this book down, and it was a while before I came back to it. It was good, but not riveting like the women of faith series Rivers did.

Kathleen Knoop
I preferred this one over The Warrior. This one touched me because of how we see the heart of God the Father, broken over his lost children.
Linda Sharpton
Wonderful story of one of the prophets of the Lord! Loved it and all the books in Francine Rivers' Sons of Encouragement!
Gabrielle
I love how Francine Rivers writes storys from the Bible and can take you there, throw the one who has been there before!
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book. I've not read all of Amos, but think I will understand it with new perspective next time I do!
Ret Yeager
I enjoyed this because I knew little about the prophet Amos. What a faithful servant of God in such adversity.
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings, #3)
  • Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles #3)
  • The Winds of God
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women
  • Rebekah (Wives of the Patriarchs, #2)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)