The Music School

The Music School

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Hardback, ex-library, with usual stamps and markings, in good all round condition.
Published August 12th 1966 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Music School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music School

Sophie
This is one of the best short story collections I have read in a long while.

"It seemed that he and Joan were caught together in a classroom where they would never be recognized, or in a charade that would never be guessed, the correct answer being Two Silver Birches in a Meadow."

"All my life people have been expecting me to faint. I have no idea why. I never faint."

"Spring infiltrates a city through the blood of its inhabitants."

"He felt as if he were leaning backward, and his mind seemed a kin...more
mark
I enjoyed several of the pieces in this collection of short stories. Updike has a distinctive style and seems to strive for psychological intensity, using really creative imagery in his descriptions. I did get tired of the married-couple-going-through-an-affair story, which he wrote in at least 4 different ways, maybe more that I can´t recall right now. ¨The Christian Roommates¨ was probably the easiest and funniest story, though he didn´t seem to know how to end it. I suspect that he laced all...more
Jen Knox
Only two of these stories really gripped me. The book is worth reading, if only because no story, no matter how gripless, is devoid of Updikes's brilliant, beautiful way with words.
ej cullen
Read this years ago and was enthralled. Upon re-reading, still good but maybe just a little too stilted and show-offy for my taste. Updike is still good company though.
Lyle D
THE MUSIC SCHOOL - Short Stories by JOHN UPDIKE (1972)
Deborah
Great! insightful
Marilyn Barrett
Marilyn Barrett marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Margaret Breidenbaugh
Margaret Breidenbaugh is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jun 25, 2014
Katika
Katika is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
William
William is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2014
Alex Andrasik
Alex Andrasik marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
John Hanson
John Hanson is currently reading it
May 10, 2014
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
S.P.
S.P. marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
John Hoyer Updike (born March 18, 1932 in Shillington, Pennsylvania) was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for hi...more
More about John Updike...
Rabbit, Run (Rabbit Angstrom, #1) Rabbit at Rest (Rabbit Angstrom, #4) Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3) Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom, #2) The Witches of Eastwick (Eastwick, #1)