4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  79,830 ratings  ·  858 reviews
Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and...more
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1996)

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I think this is my favorite Shel Silverstein offering. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Heather
Jan 06, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good laugh
Shelves: humor, kid-lit
I fell in love with the plays on words and how childlike the poems were. It didn't take a whole lot of thinking to interpret the poems, because it was all there, clearly stated in the poem.
Ronyell
Falling Up

Ever since I was little, I have been a huge fan of Shel Silverstein’s works as they were creative, controversial and hilarious to read through! I have practically read almost all of Shel Silverstein’s works including Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Every Thing on It and I had enjoyed every single one of them! Now, I have finally read another one of Shel Silverstein’s books called “Falling Up” and it was just as enjoyable as Shel Silverstein’s other works!

This is another book t...more
Chin Hwa
Some wonderful gems from this anthology of poems and drawings:

FALLING UP

I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up--
Up where the colors
Blend into the sounds.
But it got me so dizzy
When I looked around,
I got sick to my stomach
And I threw down.

But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
Fro...more
Lissa Smith
After seeing this on one of my friends list I couldn’t resist re-reading it. I read this book to my children when they were small. It’s both entertaining and educational. It’s a great way to introduce children to art, poetry and the limitless of one’s imagination.
April*procrastinator and proud*
lol!
i can recite a poem right form it!!
Ickle me, pickle me, tickle me too
ent for a ride in a flying shoe, hooray what fun,
its time we flew,
cried Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,

Ickle was captain Pickle was crew Tickle serves cofee and mulligan stew and higher and higher and higher they flew,
Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too.

Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,
Never returned to the world they knew,
and no one knows what happened to,
dear Ickle me, Pickle me Tickle me too,.

lawl, that was my favorite...more
Dolly
Feb 06, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I received Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic as presents as a child and they are still treasured possessions. We've read them together and our girls love the poems, especially our youngest. So for her birthday this year, I bought her this book. I think I read it years ago, but since I didn't own it, I don't know the poems nearly as well.

Our youngest only 'allows' us to read a couple of poems together each night, so it took us quite a long time to finish this book. It was just as...more
Alyssa Davila
i remember when i was in first grade, i had to do read a poem from his poem book Falling Up and i decided to pick a poem about this little kid going home and he notices a hat following him, the little kid gets all paranoid and relizes the hat has a tail. the little boy picks up the hat a comes to find that under the hat was either a little cat or a dog, i really cant remember, it was kind of a long time ago. but those poems made up my childhood. they made me think, analize, and got me to believe...more
Danelle

But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away
From one little
did.
Some of my favorite poems ever!
Alex Matsu
Falling up is a collection of Shell Silverstien's best poems, and there is no time or date but it is spread worldwide. There are dozens of characters, but most of the poems are about weird things happening to children and old people. All of the poems rhyme or carry a beat. My favorite is HELP! It is about a unicorn who's horn is stuck in a tree but when you try to help it, he gets protective about his horn and and asks you so many questions until you walk away.
My connection is text-to-world, f...more
Katlyn Campbell
1. Genre: Poetry
2. Falling Up is a great book of poetry for child and in my opinion adults also. The title contains numerous poems and illustrations that are sure to interest their readers and make them laugh too.
3. Critique
a. This book of poetry has great illustrations which supplement the equally wonderful poems.
b. The title, although all black and white, has many poems with complementing illustrations which will make the reader laugh, spike their interest, and make them keep reading. The po...more
Katie
I have no specific memory of reading this book as a child, but I'm sure that I must have read and enjoyed some Silverstein poems because when I saw a copy of Falling Up at a thrift store, I snatched it right up. Unfortunately, when read by a more grown-up me, Falling Up fell a bit short. Certainly there are some clever and enjoyably silly poems in this collection, as well as some wonderful illustrations, but overall I found the humor a little too immature and grisly for my tastes.

I remember, as...more
Mackenzie Wilson
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein was BY FAR one of my favorite poem books when I was growing up. I actually loved all of Shel Silverstein's poetry books, and to this day still own all of them. These books hold a special place in my heart because my grandpa used to read them to me when I was growing up. The way this book is written, is loose and witty, so it is easy for children of all ages to become engaged and instantly like them, and maybe even discover a love for poetry! Silverstein covers a wi...more
Miranda
It's been awhile since I've read any of Shel Silverstein's books. And, now that I'm re-reading them, I think that I should probably give them a read at least once a year from now on.

Geared towards younger readers, true. The poems are cute and clever, short and witty. They're fun, as are the pictures that go along with them. But, as I read this from a more mature view, I can see deeper meanings in some of them. One of my favorites for this is "Diving Board." It would take a while to type out, so...more
Erin Edwards
Annotation and Comment:
I’m a big fan of Silverstein’s poetry. I remember reading his books and giggling at sleepovers with my cousin. We thought the poems were just a little bit naughty to read. We loved the gross ones the best! I think that his collections are still appropriate for my students. I want them to learn that poetry can be fun—not all of it is difficult to interpret.
The illustrations of this book are very simple black line drawings. But they help make Silverstein’s poems special....more
Emma-lee
Falling Up is a book with a bunch of poems put into a book! All the poems had emotions to me, but I liked it! I hope i can find different books like this that fit me!
Ericka
Funny rhyming and stories (poems). Great read for adults and children. I have never read any of Shel silverstein books, but I will now and have my son read his books also. I would to see how his 10 yr imagination works. This poem reminds me so much of my son.

"Obedient"

Teacher said, “You don’t obey.
You fidget and twidget
And won’t sit down.
So go stand in the corner now
"Til I say you can turn around.”
So there I stood ‘til it got dark
Without a whimper or a tear,
"Til everybody else went home.
I guess...more
Sheena
Great book. Really fun to read outloud to my children. I find it more fun to read as an adult than it was as a child. Just brilliant. Favorite poem.
Tell me pg. 154

Tell me I'm sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I'm perfect-
But tell me the truth.

This book is as close to perfection as can be. And that's the truth.
Alyssa Prater
In Falling Up, Shel Silverstein brings poetry to kids at their level. Writing with humor about topics young children can relate to. Enjoyable to read, these poems model the use of rhyme and alliteration. One thing that stands out about Silverstein poems is his frequent literal interpretation of words and ideas accompanied by illustrations. The poems make sense, but the humors aspect is apparent when the words are interpreted with the illustration.

These poems make great read aloud content, allowi...more
Sarah Foote
Falling Up, once again Shel Silverstein creates a wonderful book of poems and drawing. Though the poems, like in other collection, are different and bring new experience, a few are similar. Some have a moral or deeper meaning that students may learn from. For example, one talks about what will happen if you don’t clean your room. It says sure, don’t clean your room, but then a toy-eating monster will come. Lesson Plan: Have students read through the poems. Have them right down at least three tha...more
Melissa Hazelbaker
Perhaps it is just me, but when I think of poetry books, I immediately revert back to my childhood and Shel Silverstein comes to mind. His books are all classics in the poetry world, he does a find job with each book and each poem. Most are funny poems, but sometimes they may have a bit of a "lesson" in with them. He uses a lot of double meanings, which can sometimes be hard for the kids to understand, but it leads to good conversation. I try to do poetry for homework at least once a week, or ev...more
Kathryn
1. Genre:Poetry
2. Awards:none
3. Grade level: 3-4
4. Use in classroom + activity: I would read this to my students for fun and to teach them about poetry to explain to them that poems can be silly and fun. To follow up, I will have my students create their own silly poems.
Ashley
For a detailed review of this book and Shel Silverstein in general, check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.
Jared Little
This collection of poems was one of my favorites as a child. Shel Silverstein's poems are very age appropriate for 6th graders and fun to read. His poems address a variety of humorous and sometimes serious themes that children encounter as they grow up, and some things that they never will.

I would use this book as in introduction to a poetry unit, primarily because the content of the poems is fun and lighthearted. It would be fun to create a lesson around the poem "falling up" by having students...more
Lisa
I haven't read Shel Silverstein since I was in grade school and I've been missing out! I read these to my kids and was totally amused myself. So smart and funny as well as often touching and thought provoking. I'm a fan.

A favorite...

A CAT, A KID, AND A MOM

"Why can't you see I'm a cat," said the cat,
"And that's all I ever will be?
Why are you shocked when I roam out at night?
Why are you sad when I meow and I fight?
Why are you sick when I eat up a rat?
I'm a cat."

"Why can't you see I'm a kid?" said...more
Makayla Pollard
Jan 28, 2014 Makayla Pollard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Ages
Recommended to Makayla by: My Older Brother
I absolutely loved this book. It was very humorous, well written, had a variety of poems, and is just the right length. My favorite is how there is so many different styles of poems in this book. I love poems, even though I may not be the best in the world at writing them. Shel Silverstein id probably one of my top 10-15 authors. He has a very unique way of writing in such a way, that anyone can read his books. Like this book "Falling Up". This book was also a very quick read; I finished in in a...more
Dewi
sangat lucu dan penuh imajinasi.

Shel Silverstein pandai membawa pembaca berpikir ulang tentang ungkapan-ungkapan sederhana dan kiasan dalam hidup sehari-hari.

salah satu puisi favorit saya :

A CAT, A KID and A MOM

"Why can't you see I'm a cat," said the cat.
"And that's all I ever will be?"
"Why are you shocked when I roam out at night?"
"Why are you sad when I meow and I fight?"
"Why are you sick when I eat up a rat?"
"I'm a cat."

"Why can't you see I'm a kid?" said the kid.
"Why try to make me like you...more
Debbie
Hilarious poems accompanied by Silverstein's distinctive pen-and-ink drawings.

Accessible poetry that kids (and immature adults) will love!
Alexis
This book is how I fell in love with poetry when I was little. Whenever I feel writers' block I go back to this collection
i love it 1 5 Dec 17, 2013 06:55AM
cool Dude Yo Watup Dawg 20 38 May 11, 2012 05:13AM
  • Something Big Has Been Here
  • The Sneetches and Other Stories
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree A Light in the Attic The Missing Piece Every Thing on It

“Tell my I'm clever,
Graceful and Wise
Tell me I'm perfect--
But tell me the TRUTH.”
577 likes
“why can't you see i'm a kid', said the kid.
Why try to make me like you?
Why are you hurt when I don't cuddle?
Why do you sigh when I splash through a puddle?
Why do you scream when I do what I did?
Im a kid.”