Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)

Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  31 reviews

When deceit and desire collide, the results can be deadly…

Book One of the Hearts of the South series.

For undercover FBI agent Jason Harding, coming face to face with the grown-up version of his adolescent dreams is a nightmare. Kathleen Palmer sees him as a despicably corrupt small-town law officer and a murder suspect. Trapped in a web of his own making, he must see hi

Published (first published June 19th 2007)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Truth and Consequences is the first book in the Hearts of the South series, and a great read filled with action, suspense, romance and steamy goodness!

The story starts out with two teenagers who are found dead in the cab of a stolen pickup truck, apparently of self inflicted gunshot wounds – a double suicide. But over the decades there have been too many questionable happenings, and too many crooked cops in Haynes County to let this slide, especially since the first officer on scene is under sus...more
D.G.
After reading this book, I’ve decided to stop reviewing romantic suspense unless I find one that wows me. It’s clear that this genre will continue being more fantasy than real life, with killers that are invisible (nobody ever sees them do their evil deeds even in public) or can teleport (they can be in two places at the same time) or are not human (NEVER leave evidence.)

The premise of this book is great: an FBI agent goes undercover in the town he grew up to bring down a corrupt Police Departm...more
~Megan~
Saw this series recommended on Amazon and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm kind of glad I did! I've been on a romantic suspense kick lately, and this book hit the spot. I loved the lead characters, both scarred by the past. The small town backwoods Georgia setting was fun, and the villains were appropriately scary. Looking forward to the rest of the series, though I might skip the next book about a troubled marriage...SO not one of my favorite themes in a romance novel.
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Good, quick read with a suspenseful plot. A few twist and turns that kept things interesting. The chemistry between the H&H was sizzling and the romance was sweet. The writing style was smooth and easy to follow. Overall, an enjoyable read!
Erika  Badass
First book of the Hearts of the South Series, and was free on Amazon, so I snagged it. I'm a fan of Romantic Suspense, and free books, and viola, it was a winning combo.

Jason, former Army turned FBI undercover agent is brought back to his roots, in order to infiltrate the corruption in the Haynes County Sheriffs department. Forced to work with his Corrupt Cousin Jim Ed, and others at the precicnt, he witness vile things, and is forced to partake in order to build his case and take them down.

Kath...more
Darcy
I absolutely loved this story. The characters are fully developed and complicated just the way I like them. The small southern town has many mysteries to lead into another book and going to make a great series. I loved the hero Jason. He was a strong male man with human flaws like most people. He has a moral compass that is rarely seen in todays culture. he has had a hurtful childhood, but it does not stir from his path, or make him question the difference between right and wrong. Kathleen, alth...more
Karagan
A broken soul with a penchant for Arthurian legend, and who's wise enough to realize the faults of the oh so not great Lancelot, Jason was just too sexy for his own good. Honestly, I'm at a loss for words. Other than... I loved it!

*part of a Location 2571 review
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Hearts of the South series by Linda Winfree. Another series to invest in :)

Romantic suspense. Great balance of suspense, mystery and romance. A bit heart wrenching at times but a good read. I would highly recommend this series!
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
I am going back and rereading all my Linda Winfree books. God how I miss this author.

The thing with this series is you have to read all the books because they are all closely tied together. Tick Calvert isn’t the hero of this book but he is a strong secondary character and from this book on he is in every book in the series. You find out things in this one about him and Cait that tie into his book which is the 3rd in the series. You find out that his sister Tori was raped in the past and that i...more
Radella
Kathleen Palmer works for the GBI, and desperately wants to pin a murder to the good ol' boy, corrupt sheriff. She knows he's guilty, but can she prove it? Jason is new to the Haynes County sheriff's office, and working undercover for the FBI. Can he take down the corrupt organization before his cover is blown? Will he be able to convince Kathleen he's really a decent guy and not on the take?

The plot moves along fairly well, although it is fairly simple and predictable. There were a few things I...more
Brandi Lush
This was a well written book, but not the one for me. The theme of the book is not one that I personally enjoy. If you like drama, romance, and corrupt cop stories, then by all means, you'll love this story.
Nancy Bennett
I liked the book, but there was something about it that kept me from really liking it. I enjoyed the romance, found the mystery plausible -- though a little emotionally disturbing. I was slightly annoyed about some scenes for the other characters back stories. I know the author is trying to set them up for future books in the series, but for some of them I thought maybe too much time was spent on secondary characters for future books.

Again, nothing in particular kept me from giving this a 4 star...more
Crystal
Truth and Consequences

I thought this was a great story. It kept me in suspense and fear that Jason would be discovered by his cousin that he was undercover. Kathleen and Tick got there in the nick of time. The love of Jason and Kathleen was so good.
Diane
i'm liking linda winfree more and more as an author. got this book free for kindle a while back, but forgot i had it till i got WHAT MATTERED MOST, which ties in some characters in both books. this is the first in her series HEART OF THE SOUTH, and i'm a sucker for romance/suspense. this has good cops and bad cops and is a really good story.
Christina
Yawn. The stars are for the premise of the story. The read was boring as all get out, though. I skimmed more pages than I read. I did not at all get the connection, and how they could have fallen in love when they barely saw each other. I don't know. Wasn't for me, I guess.
Chris
I actually thought the writing in this free kindle book was pretty good! I bought the romance and the plot kept me interested and the bad guy was truly reprehensible and well written (maybe a little one dimensional). I would read more of this author's work.
Jamie
This was a free ebook on Amazon. It is much better than I expected. The story was suspenseful, which I always enjoy. The writing just seemed a little green to me ... as if the author is new to writing, yet I saw that she has several other books.
Belia
Enjoyed reading. Read the rest of the series based upon this book.
I do wish that we got to see more of these two through the series because they are one of my favorite of Ms. Winfree's hero/heroine pairs.
Joy
A state and federal agent find love while investigating murder and police corruption. The suspense plot was more compelling than the romantic plot, which was pretty thin. Quick, fun read.
ErinReadsTooMuch
I was pleasantly surprised with this free Kindle read. Well written, great characters, lots of suspense, and awesome love scenes. Maybe I'll check out what else this author has.....
ms bookjunkie
Apr 03, 2011 ms bookjunkie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ms bookjunkie by: Bree Bridges
This was free on Kindle and Bree pimped it on Twitter like mad, so I had to get it and read it. I liked it a lot, and so I'm hooked on yet another series…
Real Mom
My first Linda Winfree book, and I liked it. Nice story, maybe a bit more drama throughout would be nice. Will definitely check out more from her.
Lori
Reread in 2010. While the villains are over the top, I really enjoyed everything else about this book.
Kathleen
this was pretty good! i liked the characters, and was interested in the small town cop/sheriff thing :-)
Sharon
Another "not my typical genre, but free" books. Glad I'm trying these out.
Jack
Crime suspense with liberal helpings of steamy romance.
Rhian Cahill
If you like romantic suspense you have to read this book.
Patti
Great read. Really enjoy the character interaction.
Wonderkell
3.5 stars! It was really good, especially being a freebie.
Mitzi
Part of a large series to consider if like 1st books?
  • Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)
  • Destiny by Design
  • Ghostly Awakening
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Fortune's Deception (Fortune Series #1)
  • Swept Away
  • The Hunger
  • The Shepherd
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Spoilt
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • Trey (Red, Hot & Blue, #1)
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • Hidden Steel
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
How does a high school English teacher end up plotting murders? She uses her experiences as a cop’s wife to become a writer of romantic suspense! Linda Winfree lives in a quintessential small Georgia town with her husband and two children. By day, she teaches American Literature, advises the student government and coaches the drama team; by night she pens sultry books full of murder and mayhem.
More about Linda Winfree...
What Mattered Most Anything But Mine (Hearts of the South, #4) Hearts Awakened (Hearts of the South, #6) Hold On to Me (Hearts of the South, #3) His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)