Start by marking “The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (Sandpiper Books)” as Want to Read:
The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (Sandpiper Books)

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (Sandpiper Books)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  8,659 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
The country bunny is a lady, and she attains the exalted position of Easter Bunny in spite of her responsibilities as the mother of twenty-one children. That the story ends with success and a reward is, of course, as every child would wish.

Like so many other classic stories for children, this one grew from being told and retold to a child for many years. That is why Mr. He
Published 1967 by Houghton Mifflin Company (first published September 9th 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

Antoine
Apr 18, 2011 Antoine rated it really liked it
This seems like sort of an old-fashioned book at first glance, definitely from before the mid-century explosion of children's picture books. But reading it again as an adult, I see how revolutionary it really is. The Country Bunny is told she can never be an Easter Bunny for a variety of reasons: [a] she is brown [b] she is rustic [c] she is a girl bunny [d] she is a mother. Although we are talking about bunnies here, undercurrents of race, class, and gender run through this book like freight tr ...more
Karla
Jun 05, 2009 Karla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Without a doubt this is one of my favorite books to read to children. DuBose Heyward is famous for many books but this is the only children's book he ever wrote. He made up the story at the request of his daughter and eventually had it published. The tale is set at Easter and the grandfather bunny is too tired and old to continue so a competition is held to select the new Easter Bunny. The Country Bunny has 21 little bunny children whom she has taught various household skills such as washing dis ...more
Kari Sommers
Mar 13, 2015 Kari Sommers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I bought a new copy to share it with my boys, as mine was falling apart (literally). Well worth the investment! This book was originally published in 1939, and it has the best portrayal of working motherhood in any picture book I have seen. Did I mention it's from 1939?
If you have kids, you must read it to them. If you don't have kids, read it anyway. You won't regret it.

One of my favorite quotes:

"One day a little country girl bunny with a brown
Amanda
May 29, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: zeke
This is a very strange story about a determined little country bunny who manages to run a perfect household (mainly by using her excellent delegating skills), raise her 21 children to be well-behaved and accomplished, all while enjoying a great career as an Easter Bunny, delivering eggs to the boys and girls of the world.
We all wonder if it is truly possible to balance motherhood and career, and give equal weight to each. This bunny has done it and done it to perfection. And maybe when Zeke is
Erma Talamante
I recall this one as an Easter story that I read to my brothers oh, so long ago. It was a cute story about how the littlest one can sometimes be the best of all, and if you grow up humble, you will be loved.

Or something like that.

Will have to borrow this from the library for the little one, and see this again.
Theresa Marsala
Mar 15, 2016 Theresa Marsala rated it it was amazing
For a children's book published in 1967 about Easter Bunnies it sure touches on topics in an underlying way that are still relevant today. Race, Gender stereotypes, wealth (or lack of) & motherhood are all addressed with regard to social conventions & it's crazy to see these are still hot topics today! The plot was a lil far fetched but it is a children's book about an Easter Bunny after all! But I enjoyed the underlying message which is Yes, regardless of being brown, country, poor, a m ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Self confidence, perseverance, a woman achiever who manages to mix work and kids and has great love for kids, and gorgeous pictures of beautiful Easter eggs. What more could you want from a book?!
Amy Adams
Mar 26, 2014 Amy Adams rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
DuBose Heyward is a pretty big deal in these parts. He was born in Charleston, and he wrote the novel Porgy (which eventually was adapted into the Gershwin opera Porgy and Bess) while living here at Folly Beach. So, there's a local historical connection that makes this work significant to me. I also think there's a lot more symbolism behind the story than is credited to it.
The illustrations, by Marjorie Hack, have that old-timey Easter feel, which I like. The colors are so vivid and bright!
The
Wooden Horse
1939!!! Such a different world. WWII was on the horizon. Rosie the Riveter was a few years off. Jackie Robinson was in college (he debuted in 1947). I mention him in particular because I had to look up the meaning of the phrase "before you could say Jack Robinson" and thought it referred to him. It doesn't. There are so many other subtle stereotype bending references that given the original publication date I am curious to know how many children of that time were read this book and could referen ...more
Rachael
Jul 14, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
This is the other of my sister's and my most-beloved books of early childhood. For years I had forgotten what it was called, but had a distinct memory of a little Easter Bunny taking a beautiful egg to a sleeping child. While in college, I was looking for books for my nieces and was excited to find it once again.

When I was a child, I think it was the pictures that captivated me. As an adult, and now a mother, I love how it shows all the work, planning, time-management, and love that goes into do
Lisa
Apr 10, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
I just re-read this classic, which was first copyrighted in 1939. Wow, how things have changed!

In today's market, this would've been considered too long and unfocused. Plus, I found that it had elements of sexism, subtle racism, and abuses of the child labor laws. Ha!

In the end, the problem was solved by the hand-of-God rather than the main character solving it for herself. If I had received this for critique, the poor author would've been chastised beyond belief.

But, the art is wonderful and co
Becky
Feb 07, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
I have magical memories of this book so when I saw it on someone's goodreads account, I quickly added it. I can't wait to get it at the library and relive the magic.

So...it was even better than I expected! As a child, the magic was in the piles of colorful Easter eggs at the palace, the five swift Easter bunnies, and the final most beautiful Easter egg of all. As an adult, I love, love, love the against-all-odds-and-others'-opinions, the rewarded-for-goodness, and the be-a-good-mother messages--
Stephani
Mar 31, 2009 Stephani rated it it was amazing
Just bought this book for my daughter. This was one of my favorite books to read as a child. The story and the pictures are priceless and invite the imagination to wander. I highly recommend buying this as a bedtime story for your kids, they will love it. I recently read it in my daughter's class (they have a parent come in a read the child's favorite book for their birthday in lieu of treats or cupcakes) and my daughter was VERY worried that the boys wouldn't think it was cool. The boys actuall ...more
Logan
May 30, 2009 Logan rated it really liked it
Logan just loves this story and how can I not love a 1930's book that pits a little brown mama bunny against a bunch of arrogant male rabbits and ends with the mama bunny besting them all!? Way ahead of its time. It was not uncommon then to read of young, single women or girls doing tomboyish things, like Nancy Drew. But I don't recall anything where a busy mother manages to still get and hold down a demanding job. Very sweet pictures and an unusual take on the Easter Bunny myth. I never mind re ...more
Dreamybee
Apr 23, 2009 Dreamybee rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I'm not sure why, exactly; but reading it now, I am touched by the little country bunny who is raising her (21) children all by herself and is tasked with the enormous and very important job of delivering all of the Easter eggs all around the world when the previous Easter Bunny falls ill. This is a difficult task, and her last delivery is a very difficult one and she is afraid she will fail the little boy who is looking forward to her visit. In the ...more
Melanie
This is a favorite from when I was a child that our daughter now enjoys. It is a great read at Easter as it relates to the Easter Bunny, but we read it year-round. This is a favorite book though because of the themes it contains. Themes include the importance of everyone helping mom around the house (yeah!), believing in yourself and setting goals, the importance of educating children, the value of different talents and contributions we make in our homes, and the power of mothers and how they ca ...more
The Reading Countess
Apr 29, 2011 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
The tale of a beleagured mama rabbit with 21 little bunnies to care for takes on a new adventure: Easter Bunny. After assigning her babies household chores, she hops off to be the fifth Easter Bunny. She thought caring for all of her furry ones was hard, but delivering baskets worldwide is a real challenge. When the Easter Grandfather assigns her with the hardest task of all, she is able to fulfill it and save the hopes of a sick child far, far away with the help of her special shoes.

Very much
Rachel
Feb 16, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
I drank this book as a child. I loved the devoted mother and was enchanted by the creative jobs given to all of the rabbit children and thier united, happy demeanors as they all worked together. I loved the "old, wise and kind grandfathers" powerful gentleness, and more than anything, I loved "the beautiful, sleeping boy".

As a mother, the story can become tedious, when read over and over and over again (which is what my children requested), because it is a bit lengthy and not especially poetic,
Erin
Dec 11, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved this book when I was little. I remember the lovely illustrations and recall admiring the very determined mother bunny... I loved the part when they all dart off across the field for the eggs - she being just a simple brown bunny, not fast like the traditional jackrabbits, was out of place, but she was sure she needed to do this for her children... I could practically feel the mother bunny's heart racing to the top of the mountain, there's something about having a grass roots, life or dea ...more
Samantha
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
The only thing better than reading Country Bunny and loving it as a child is sharing it with your own child. Little country bunny is laughed at by everyone when she says she would one day like to be one of the five Easter bunnies that take eggs to children all over the world. She grows up, has a family, and settles with never realizing her dream until one of the bunnies retires and she is given her big chance. Her kindness, wisdom, and bravery help her achieve her dream.
Emerson and Theodore
Dec 27, 2014 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
It's so good. So good.
The art is probably the best of any picture book out there. Remember it from a child.
And the message is great. Shows the importance of mothers but at the same time so beautifully illustrates that being a mother does not define a mother's entire life. Her job is to raise her children to be self-sufficient. and then that mother can go deliver Easter eggs!

Addendum: purchased at used bookshop in riverside! Dec 27 2014
Anina
Mar 11, 2009 Anina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite children's classics, an easter book. I am really drawn to the illustrations for some reason. The story is not remarkable but I have loved it since I was a kid, probably due to NOT being a kid who celebrated easter! While reading reviews on here, I notice some people say it adresses issues of race and class, which I have never thought about, but now that I am re reading it with that in mind, I certainly see what they are talking about.
Angela Rosio
Sep 02, 2013 Angela Rosio rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a young child and bought it for my daughter when she was a baby. Funny how life circles back around. I just finished reading a book about motherhood and leadership and this book was referenced.

If you haven't read it, it is a lovely story. It was considered to have a "feminist" slant when it was published in the 1930's. It is also a great book about teaching our children to be resourceful.

Never discount a children's picture book!

Laurie
Aug 09, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best children's book ever written? Or the VERY BEST children's book ever written? The Country Bunny is a feminist icon. She trains her children to take care of the house with the precision of freaking Swiss watch so she can go out and fulfill her dreams. If only human children were so trainable; in my experience they do a terrible job vacuuming the stairs and then whine when called on it.
I love this book so much I somehow acquired three copies of it.

Kim McKay
"And by and by she had a husband and then one day, much to her surprise there were twenty-one Cottontail babies to take care of.

Then the big white rabbits and the Jacks with long legs laughed and laughed, and they said, 'What did we tell you! Only a country rabbit would go and have all those babies. Now take care of them and leave Easter eggs to great big men bunnies like us.' And they went away liking themselves very much."

Go get em, Cottontail!
Jessica
Apr 07, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest picture books ever, I read this over and over as a kid. The story of a sweet little brown mother rabbit who dreams of being an Easter bunny is just utterly delightful. The pictures are simple but I love the color palette, which seems to have sort of gray undertones that somehow remind me of Easter eggs.
Heidi
Apr 01, 2016 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I will not talk about the plot of this book because other people have done so also I don't want to ruin the story for those who have not yet read it.

The illustrations are fantastic and a very original plot.

This is yet another book that I read when I was a kid and I just loved, loved, loved it.
Polly
One of those childhood books about which I have no perspective, because the memory of my family reading it together every Easter Eve is too dear. Although I do remember that my sisters and I were revolted by the little sleeping blond boy--he's a kid, not a cherub!
Sterlingcindysu
Mar 10, 2016 Sterlingcindysu rated it it was amazing
My favorite Easter book and possibly children's book. I can't tell you when I had my own children I kept wondering how Mama Bunny was able to organize her household so well and without a man! (Maybe a little Duggar blood?)
Siskiyou-Suzy
Oh what an adorably sweet little book. It's about the momma bunny! The momma bunny fulfilling her dreams even though she is a momma bunny! And part of the reason she can fulfill her dreams is that her baby bunnies are so wonderful to her!
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • Titanicat
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
Edwin DuBose Heyward (August 31, 1885 – June 16, 1940)was a white American author best known for his 1925 novel Porgy. This novel was the basis for the play by the same name (which he co-authored with his wife Dorothy) and, in turn, the opera Porgy and Bess with music by George Gershwin.

Heyward was born in 1885 in Charleston, South Carolina and was a descendant of Thomas Heyward, Jr., who was a si
More about DuBose Heyward...

“Cottontail knocked on the big front door and was admitted to the Palace. There she stood in her funny country clothes but none of the other four Easter Bunnies laughed, for they were wise and kind and knew better.” 3 likes