Start by marking “Black and Blue: The Golden Arm, the Robinson Boys, and the 1966 World Series That Stunned America” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An unforgettable account of the epic Baseball World Series between the celebrated Los Angeles Dodgers and the perennial underdog Baltimore Orioles. Nobody expected the Orioles to have a chance; after all by 1966, the Dodgers had replaced the Yankees as the dominant team in baseball, winning two of the previous three World Series. Few outside of Baltimore gave the Orioles m ...more
Published April 3rd 2006 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Black and Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black and Blue

Nathan
Some scattered moments of sharp description notwithstanding, this story is a boring one, told in a boring way. Some elements are there- Sandy Koufax's dominant mastery, the Orioles surprise win- but they are smudged out by the colorless prose. Mediocre.
Sandi
Entertaining account of the 1966 baseball season and the World Series that seems to have been forgotten by all but the most ardent of baseball fans.
Edwin
As a lifelong baseball fan with a pretty solid grasp of its storied past, I had, of course, already known about the great Sandy Koufax and the story of how he'd walked away from the game in his prime due to a chronically arthritic elbow.

What reading this book helped me realize is that I had always unconsciously questioned Mr. Koufax's commitment to the game. If I, who would've given anything as a youth to become a major leaguer, had grown up to become as successful as he, surely I could've pitc
Andre
I couldn’t finish this book. Part of it was the endless references the author made to Baltimore as the capital of Maryland. It’s really hard for me to take a book seriously if it’s supposed to be a historical look at something and the there are a high number of obvious mistakes. Makes it difficult to believe what you read.

Beyond that, the title and text were somewhat at odds. Part of the title reads, “the 1966 World Series that Stunned America.” Then the first few chapters are all about how the
Mallory
Nineteen sixty-six was a transitional year in America and provides the backdrop for Tom Adelman’s recounting of the Dodgers’ and Orioles’ seasons and what led them to meet in an astounding World Series. He expertly weaves together current events – riots tearing apart inner cities, the Vietnam War, and racism – with the major changes that were also occurring on the baseball diamond. The LA Dodgers were the old guard. Their era was quietly coming to a close, while the young Orioles’ was just begin ...more
Chelsea
An hilarious and sentimental look at the 1966 World Series. It's notable for being Baltimore's first World Series victory, and featuring Sandy Koufax's final game. Adelman does a wonderful job of capturing the players - Koufax's willingness to work through the terrible pain in his arm, Frank Robinson's drive to win and Brooks Robinson's unquestioning acceptance of his new battery mate, Moe Drabowsky's career season and bullpen hijinks.

Despite the handful of big names (Koufax, Robinson, Don Drysd
Chance Brinley
This book starts out by talking sbout the career that frabk robinson was having at the Cincinati Reds. it talk about how the Reds traded him a year before his pruduction started to decrease, that way they could get the best young talent possible for him. The Reds trade him to the Balitmore Orioles. Everyone thought that the Reds got th better part of the deal, but they were wrong. By the end of the 1966 season frank robinson won the leages Tripple Crown, the most prestige hitting title you can g ...more
Robert
Great book! If you like baseball history you probably will enjoy it. I love the way this book is put together in parts. First the background of the Orioles (and their off-season acquisition of Frank Robinson) and then the background of the Dodgers, and the hold out by their two star SPs before the season. This then sets things up for a great World Series. I liked this set up a lot more then the one he did for his Reds/RedSox book. He does a very good job displaying the personality of not just th ...more
A.
Aug 05, 2007 A. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baseball fans, anyone interested in the civil rights movement in the u.s.
Shelves: baseball, 2007
This book absolutely broke my heart -- the Orioles, of course, swept that World Series from the heavily favored Dodgers, but that wasn't what broke my heart. Adelman does a spectacular job of taking the story of that season and that World Series and giving it its due backdrop of America -- and Baltimore, a heavily segregated city until very late -- during the 60s. Heartbreaking and gorgeous, and very subtly written and very well paced.
Shek
Taut, well-written account of the Dodgers' and Orioles' '66 campaign, including a detailed analysis of their World Series clash. But could someone down there at the publisher have been bothered to maybe check a fact? Among other errors, there are multiple instances of date confusion (e.g. 1995 is "19 years" after 1966), and repeated references to Baltimore as the capital of the state of Maryland...somebody tell Annapolis.
Janet
This book was so good. I felt like I was there, watching very World Series game. I loved all the description. And, of course, I was very happy with the ending (go O's!).

This book is a good baseball book. Well written, interesting, and engaging. And if you care about the Orioles or the Dodgers, you'll enjoy it even more. This might become the book I read every spring, right before baseball season starts.
Chris
Since the O's keep winning I figured I'd read about their past success. Surprised at how many of the issues facing baseball today (holdouts, amphetamines, painkillers, players hitting each other with bats, players pulling guns on civilians) were going on in the 1960's (and we're talking about players named Koufax, Drysdale, Marichal & Frank Robinsons).
Frank
Solid, detailed account of the 1966 World Series between the favored Dodgers and the upstart Orioles. Nothing ground-breaking, but an informative look at that time, both on the field and off (war, civil rights, etc.) Baseball in the 60s as a whole has long been overlooked, so it was nice to get this history.
Daryl Grigsby
i enjoyed reading this - shows how little the American League was integrated even in '66 (20 years after Jackie); the discipline of Frank Robinson, courage of Sandy Koufax; and prominent role African-American players had on the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Francis
Seeking the nostalgia of summer afternoons listening to baseball games on a transistor radio, looking at baseball cards, wishing I could pitch, sipping on a lemonade, I bought this book.

And, I'm glad I did.
Manray9
A tribute to the magnificent Baltimore Orioles team of 1966. Those Birds still hold the World Series record of 33 consecutive scoreless innings pitched...and they still hold a place in my heart!
Kris Marolt
A book about the 1966 Pennant races and the world series. The real kicker are the players and bios about them.
Kristopher
A good baseball book, a good World Series book. Fun to read in the off-season when the bats are quiet.
Ron Kaplan
Ron Kaplan's review on Black and Blue appears in the next issue of Nine.
Jeff Clark
Being a baseball guy from the seventies - this was a perfect history for me. Love it!
Ryan
Great Book. Go O's!!!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Dennis McKeon
Dennis McKeon marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Ben
Ben added it
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played Black and Blue: Sandy Koufax, the Robinson Boys, and the World Series That Stunned America