Start by marking “Fifty-One Tales” as Want to Read:
Fifty-One Tales

Read Book* *Different edition

Fifty-One Tales

Downloadable audio version of Dunsany's Fifty-one tales on Librivox.org.

A collection of fifty one brief tales and fables, loosely tied to together by the themes of time, death, fame, and memory, many having a twist ending.
Published (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty-One Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty-One Tales

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted at www.FantasyLiterature.com:

This is a collection of ― hardly even short stories ― more like brief vignettes, for the most part just a few paragraphs in length, by Lord Dunsany, an Irish baron who wrote fantasy in the first half of the 20th century. He is one of the earlier authors to write fantastical literature and is considered an influence on J.R.R. Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft, among other respected twentieth century fantasy authors.

These fantastical tales, first pu
Melanti
Jan 23, 2011 Melanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aha. So this is why Dunsany always gets listed with the Weird Fiction authors!

I wasn't entirely enamored with his longer fiction -- while they were good, I just didn't see where/what influenced and continues to influence so many writers I adore. I could see little bits and pieces, but it didn't fully make sense - especially for Lovecraft.

But here! Here's Lovecraft's trick of crafting entire stories that may not have a plot but set excellent moods. Here's "Charon", the precursor to Neil Gaiman's
Eleanor Toland
A hen decides to go south for the winter, an angel tosses an advertiser into Hell, an orange makes nefarious plans and a sphinx visits Thebes, Massachusetts.

Often witty, frequently melancholy and occasionally blood-chillingly creepy, these fifty-one very short stories are a foundational document for the modern fantasy genre. Decades before Neil Gaiman was born, Dunsany wrote about a cyclist encountering decrepit versions of Odin and Thor begging for worship by the side of the road. Many of thes
Ea Solinas
Years before Tolkien ever wrote about hobbits, elves and magic rings, there were a few rare fantasy writers. One of the best of these early fantasists was Lord Dunsany, an Irish aristocrat who poured out his imagination into exotic, semi-mythic stories.

He only wrote relatively few novels and novellas, but loads of short stories. And "Fifty One Tales" compiles the shortest of those stories, often meditations on death, joy, life and time. They're less like short stories than long vignettes, but th
David Caldwell
Lord Dunsany wrote fantasy before it was called fantasy. He inspired many writers and movie makers. His writings inspired J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and H.P. Lovecraft to name a few. These gentlemen went on to inspire many others. Unfortunately, Lord Dunsany has fallen out of favor somewhat. I find this to be a shame. He was a master storyteller. Luckily, his writings are finding a home in electronic form.

In this collection, the stories are short. Often, they are closer to a story sketch than w
Timothy Ferguson
This is an odd little book. It has tiny stories, arguably vignettes, that mass, undeveloped, in its pages. Many are excellent, some are weak, all are finished so quickly that unless you choose to linger they seem lost in the flow of stories. He cheats a little: many of the stories are effectively the same story. There’s a bleak humour that emerges from many of the stories. Recommended for people interested in early works of the weird.

I listened to the Librivox version, but Internet Archive has i
Margaret
A collection of short, vignette/flash fiction, these pieces are atmospheric and at times quirky. Dunsany is classic fantasy, and some of these pieces are brilliant, but most didn't resonate as the few gems in this collection did. Part of the problem is that it's difficult to read 51 very short pieces and feel the same sense of depth you would with other short story collections. These would be better read one or two at a time, to savor the stories, rather than all at once.
Douglas Summers-Stay
The tales are of mixed quality. Some are too ham-fistedly moralistic, and at three paragraphs long, there is not enough space for the point of any of the stories to have much subtlety.
I can definitely sense some influence here on Neil Gaiman. (When Thor and Odin return to Stonehenge, it is very American Gods, for example.) They're all Halloween tales, even his version of The Tortoise and the Hare. There's a lot about the briefness and folly of civilization and the eventual triumph of Nature.

Her
Addy
These were really interesting, and I absolutely loved the writing style. It's very atmospheric and allows for some great visualization.

This is a collection of 51 'tales'. The shortest . . . is two sentences, while the longest is about four pages. (They're especially good to read during a particularly busy day.) Most of these deal with mythology. To be honest, I know very little about it, but I still got the gist of most of them. It's definitely opened up something for me to look into though!

I t
მინდია არაბული
რაღაც ხიბლი ჰქონდათ პრეტოლკიენისტ ავტორებს, რაც ლიუის-ტოლკიენის მერე დაიკარგა და ძალიან ძალიან წპწპწპ დოზებით ვლინდება აქაიქ, მაგრამ აღარასოდეს იმ გაქანებით, რაც გვიანდელი ვიქტორიანული პერიოდის ფენტეზი რომანტიკოსებს დაჰყვებოდათ.
სიუჟეტური სტრუქტურა ამ პერიოდიდან ნამდვილად განვითარდა და ახლაც ფართოვდება, what if ელემენტთანაც იგივე ამბავი გვაქვს, კიდე ბევრი რამ განვითარდა, მაგრამ რაღაც აშკარად არამხოლოდ უკან წავიდა, არამედ ლამის სულ გაქრა. ხოდა ეს რაღაც არის სიზმრისეული, დახვეწილი, ეთეროვანი ატმოსფ
Joanne Myers
Weird but decent collection of writing

Contains 51 stories or should I say pieces of writing. They range from one paragraph to around ten paragraphs. Some of them made sense and actually sounded like (very) short stories, others made no sense at all.
Gita
Dec 31, 2016 Gita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting vignettes and some that didn't really catch me.
J. Boo
Jul 08, 2016 J. Boo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
51 very short stories, often bleak, and sometimes bleakly humorous. Lord Dunsany is purple and poetic in his prose, but if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you like.

There's one in particular -- "The True Story of the Tortoise and Hare" -- which has the best ending of any tale I have ever read. It's one of the longer ones, but I've excerpted it in the spoiler tags below.

(view spoiler)
Luciana Darce
Aug 13, 2016 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meu primeiro contato com Lorde Dunsany foi um comentário de Neil Gaiman, que me levou até The King of Elfland’s Daughter, o terrivelmente belo (sim, é um paradoxo) conto que serviu de base para Stardust. Desde então, o nome ficou no meu radar e quando apareceu a tradução de Contos Maravilhosos, não hesitei nem por um momento antes de sair correndo atrás do volume.

Embora tenha sido publicado num único volume aqui no Brasil, Contos Maravilhosos são, na verdade, dois livros de contos de Dunsany – e
Marley
Jul 23, 2015 Marley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this collection quite a bit. Not every story was a winner, but some were wonderful and I found myself shoving it in my friends' faces telling them to read this or that page. Each story is very short. Some were shorter than drabbles. A few left me scratching my head, but that just makes me want to recommend that more people read it so we can discuss it. (What do you think the Muses' message was? What was the Sex Problem that Man was discussing when the beggar woman knocked at the door?)

Ma
Brady
A collection of fables and folk tales which were all somehow spun from a single mind. Some were a little too moralizing for me (Dunsany's constantly complaining about the damage to the environment, which just makes me think, "you know, what have you got to complain about? It's 1915! Enjoy what you've got while it's there!"), but Dunsany's own writing style and the overwhelming spacey, dreamy quality of the stories (I saw one of the reviewers already used the word "pastoral," and so I promised my ...more
blakeR
A bunch of short, wistful parables, with the best kind of foreboding and lyrical grandeur. In the themes of Man v. Time, or Civilization v. Nature, Dunsany's sympathies, like my own, lie unmistakably with the more enduring of the two.

In fact, the tome could be subtitled "An Exercise in Nihilism," and I gratefully welcome the occasional reminder of that perspective. We are not, after all, going to be around forever, and like Dunsany I refer not to you and me personally, but to us as a species. I
Muzzlehatch
Nov 14, 2008 Muzzlehatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of early fantasy, the mythopoeic strain
Shelves: fantasy
My introduction to Lord Dunsany; probably like most people who come to him, I have some familiarity with some of his disciples - Clark Ashton Smith, HP Lovecraft, Jack Vance, etc. In fact, it's Lovecraft's "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" that really got me interested in exploring the earlier writer. This might seem at first to be the best place to start -- very accessible, short, with the book pretty readily available in one edition or another -- but for me, it probably wasn't. Oh, I liked it qu ...more
Christal
This was a grouping of 'very' short stories, most of them 1-1.5 pages. Lord Dunsany's prose is nostalgic and refreshing to read, brings me back to school with the lit of old texts (which I being the oddball loved). This book really should have been titled Fifty-One Tales of the passage of time and the circle of life because most of the stories were primarily involving Death, Time and sometimes Beginnings. But then again doesn't that plague all humankind at various times of our lives.

Most of the
Christal

Most of the
Tomek Piorkowski
Baron Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett Dunsany, or Lord Dunsany, is considered to be one of the great fantasy writers of the Pre-Tolkein era. 51 Tales is a collection of ultra-short stories that he wrote, and most of them revolve around death, from the death of individuals to the death of civilisations. These are short, intense meditations on the transience of existence, and the answers contained in these stories are as mysterious as death itself.

Dunsany manages to create vivid, atmospheric vi
Derek Davis
Definitely not Dunsany at his best. More like sweepings from his mind's floor, teeny-weeny snippets of almost-stories that toss abstract ideas around, mixed with hints of underlying meaning that isn't really there. Like many of the suggested-horror writers of his day (something terrible is about to happen of earthshaking significance, but gad, we're not certain what it could be), he's fixated on imaginary "elder" gods who have either turned nasty, retired or been knocked off by their successors. ...more
Bill
Sep 12, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A facsimile of a collection originally published in 1915. I suppose these would be called "short shorts" today - there are a few that are one or two paragraphs long, and none longer than a few pages.

Most are fables or parables. Quite a few involve Death, as well as other anthropomorphized seasons and elements and such. Another major theme is Man and Technology vs. Nature. The standout for me was a twist on the Tortoise and Hare story. And there are others that clearly stand as influences on writ
Xenophon Hendrix
Oct 21, 2009 Xenophon Hendrix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Dunsany is good when one is in the proper frame of mind. His use of language is unusual, so one must be willing to put more work into his fiction than normal. The payoff is an eloquence that sometimes acts as an incantation.

This book, available online, is a collection of short, short stories. It is a most difficult form of fiction, and to be effective the narrative must from the first word lead to a strong punchline.

Time has weakened the impact of some of these tales. Modern readers have se
D.M. Dutcher
More like flash-fiction than short stories, many of these tables are sublime little fables based around themes. Some are barely a couple of paragraphs long, but all seem to evoke specific ideas. A regret over the old pagan gods being gone, and mankind forgetting things like forest life combine with a dislike of modern life and its philosophy to make short little tales with sharp points.

Most of the fiction is too brief to savor, and it's pretty one-sided in its outlook. However, it's still excell
Jack Wright
May 11, 2013 Jack Wright rated it really liked it
I really liked this collection of stories, even if I didn't understand some of them. If you know anything about Greek Mythology then you'll be okay for the most part. Some of the stories though contained allegory that I didn't understand and therefore I wasn't able to get the full meaning of the story. Other stories, for whatever reason just went over my head completely. All that aside, I enjoyed the majority of the stories as they were about a number of topics, from the end of the world, to upd ...more
Mike
Nov 14, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've read these stories before but listening to them all read straight through over the course of a couple commutes in my car, I was struck by how unified the collection really is, forming a sort of cycle that explores time, memory, death, and imagination, with an underlying theme of the struggle between man and nature, which man is, of course, certain to lose.

The read of this LibriVox edition does a great job, too. You can download this free audiobook at

Joan
May 05, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this kindle edition is really "Fifty-One Tales," not "Fifty-One Tales: With Linked Table of Contents," but at amazon's price I'm not complaining. It is as advertised, Fifty-One fables written by master fantasist Lord Dunsany. Each of the tales is short and impressionistic, one or two pages in length, written in Dunsany's usual high-fantasy prose style. Fifty-One Tales can provide perfect little aperatifs for that après fat novel languor, or if read from stem to stern, a tasty hot fu ...more
William Van Huss
One of my favorite of Dunsany's many books. As everyone mentions, he was a great influence on many early fantasy and pulp writers an his influence is still seen today. This book is Dunsany just playing with the whole idea of what constitutes a story. His wit, cynicism, and romanticism are all on display and this book is a great introduction for anyone who wants a taste before they dip in to his longer works.
William Frost
Aug 17, 2013 William Frost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Dunsany is one of the grandfathers of the fantasy genre, influencing others like Tolkein and Lovecraft, and as such his works are important to anyone who is interested in the history of the genre. The stories are also just cute/interesting/surrealist enough to be worth reading on their own. While technically a Modern writer, I felt there was a distinct Romantic ethos permeating everything. I recommend this book for those who want something a little different (or something free).
  • Dossouye (Dossouye, #1)
  • Land of Unreason
  • Works of Alexandre Dumas (Illustrated)
  • The Haunted Woman
  • The Ultimate Weird Tales Collection - 133 stories - Clark Ashton Smith (Trilogus Classics)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • The Glittering Plain
  • The Return
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • The Oval Lady, Other Stories: Six Surreal Stories
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • Conan: People of the Black Circle (The People Of the Black Circle; The Devil In Iron; A Witch Shall Be Born; Jewels of Gwahlur)
  • The Compleat Traveller in Black
  • Hill of Dreams
  • The Centaur
  • Nine Hundred Grandmothers
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012
Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist, notable for his work in fantasy published under the name Lord Dunsany. More than eighty books of his work were published, and his oeuvre includes hundreds of short stories, as well as successful plays, novels and essays. Born to one of the oldest titles in the Irish peerage, he lived much of his life ...more
More about Lord Dunsany...