Start by marking “Aline and the Others” as Want to Read:
Aline and the Others

Aline and the Others

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Limbs are swapped and pants are dropped in Albert and the Others, a collection of wordless strips that expose the pleasures, pitfalls, and perversities of masculinity. In this companion volume to Aline and the Others (2006),Guy Delisle delves deep into the male psyche and emerges with twenty-six alphabetically arranged strips, named after the men who tumble through the pag ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Aline and the Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aline and the Others

Non ricordavo nemmeno di averlo. Mi è capitato in mano mentre ero già sotto le coperte, rilassata, ed è stata una buona lettura.
In questo alfabeto maschile, che parte appunto da Albert, Delisle presenta i difetti degli uomini in vignette brevi e silenziose: non c'è infatti alcun testo, solo disegno e una satira non eccessivamente cattiva.
Pare ci sia anche un alfabeto femminile, che devo subito andare a cercare.
There are a lot of boobs in this book, but not really in a good way.
David Schaafsma
Deft, wordless portraits of men behaving badly, mostly. Not politically correct, possibly offensive to most readers. Very quick, sometimes surreal, portraits of relationships. The art is in itself the central thing about this work, a lesson in concision and craft by a guy who also does, among other things, "travel memoirs" about Burma and North Korea, etc that are more polished and sophisticated. This shows his range, and some aspects of him that I and others have found offensive. Is this like C ...more
Funny, surreal, and often disturbing short stories about a strange cast of characters. There aren't any words but Delisle's sick and twisted humor comes through in any language. He's lives in France so there's a lot of strange sexual twists and plenty of juvenile humor. Just my kind of stuff.
Albert and the Others is an excellent collection of comic shorts. I imagine if Edward Gorey, Thomas Ott, Chester Brown, and Yoshihiro Tatsumi had a radioactive child after the much anticipated Apocalypse, Guy Delisle's work would be it! Of course, this is very different than his journalistic works, like Burma Chronicles, and his fatherly musings, so I'd say this one is not for everyone. I am surprised that some people thought the work is misogynistic; I'd argue that most of it is misanthropic, a ...more
A collection of short pieces without words, Albert and the Others is a cross between The Ghastley Crumb Tinies and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. Each comic strips examines an alphabetically named man as he behaves badly (with maybe two exceptions: decent guys). Delisle limits each strip from 10 panels to 3 pages, while cramming in complex ideas like work-life conflicts, sexual manipulation, and idealized women into these tiny panelled strips. He handles the comic strip like a master.

Liz Yerby
wait this one is about objectifying women too? i thought it would be objectifying men to parallel the lady version so now i'm upset. there's also too much hetero romance. i mean, delisle is a charming artist and you can totally see his skill at pacing, here, but blerrrrrrrrrrg
После четырёх трэвелогов, Делиль уже считается членом семьи. Мы с ним практически прожили вместе множество приключений. Так что было весьма необычно наблюдать у него такие ээм... фантазии. Странные люди, расчленёнка, сюрреализм. Ох уж эти художники, поди разберись, что у них в головах.
In this male-oriented follow-up to Aline and the Others, Guy Delisle follows the previous pattern of wordless comics detailing the adventures of twenty-six alphabetically arranged protagonists. The individual stories are short and humorous, and just occasionally a little bit shocking. The book is a fun read, if not a particularly new take on a pattern that Delisle established in the previous volume.
Liz Yerby
This book is so weird! It's a perverse alphabet book where in women do weird things with their bodies and often murder men. I think that it's written by a man adds an uneasy element, but overall I still love it, and I usually am not a fan of wordless comics. Delisle's animation background is very apparent here, and I love that he involves himself in the end.
What a weird little book... almost better at giving me insight into Delisle himself. I suspect a lot of people would probably just call it terribly misogynistic. I sort of feel like it's a comic throwback? Maybe similar to a tone of old french comics. I feels like an homage to something more cultural than just dudes hating their wives and being creepy weirdos.
A collection of shorts with an absurdist twist, it's amusing without being laugh out loud funny. The visual is cute and mimics the energy of Herge's works with goofy motions and quick transitions. I find the individual tales unimaginative and indistinguishable, the casual misogyny is also jarring but overall it's too forgettable to be offensive.
Occasionally amusing collection of wordless comics about men with names from A (Albert) to Z (Zoltan). My favourites were those that approached the surreal, but many ended with a goofy "one-liner" visual joke that didn't really justify all the panels leading up to it, and there was a bit too much misogyny (and naked ladies) for my personal taste.
I did not care for this one. I found Guy's Burma book and really enjoyed it.
I found this one too dark (printing), making it hard to "read" the pictures.
Some of the stories were entertaining; some were odd.
They did provide a good insight/history of his early work as mentioned in the Burma book, when he is teaching the class.
I don't think I connect enough with Delisle's point of view to be fully appreciative of what he's doing here. It felt weirdly both empowering and misogynistic at the same time, which I don't think was the intent. You do, however, see the clear influence of his animation career in these panels.
Kay Gemzon
Featuring 26 characters in scenes both beguiling and bizarre, Guy Delisle excels at doodles done right. Albert and the Others is a study of our peculiarities as individuals and situations that may or may not happen the way you think they'll happen. A delightful and imaginitive read!
What an interesting short volume of 24 short stories. I was pleased to see there is female oriented volume, which I also plan to read.

These are short, funny, scary, sadistic, and emotional stories, and each one packs a punch without a single word. Really neat!
Emilia P
Guy Delisle, how delightfully, wordlessly, effectively, depressingly, hilariously, accurately, you send up the neuroses of the modern man.
Everyone is screwed up in secret yet mundane ways, you say. Why yes.
Thank you. You can do basically no wrong.
Wonderful and unexpectedly funny. Although the plot is based on a series of men by alphabetical name (Albert, Bernard, Christophe, David, etc) the rest is wordless, yet touches upon several universally human truths of life. Highly recommended.
A cute series of non-verbal stories. I'm a fan of Delisle's drawing style, and he creates a distinctive character for each letter of the alphabet here. I wouldn't recommend this for kids, but his odd sense of humor is great for adults.
Guy Delisle in non-travelogue format. Really enjoyed this, and reminded me of Edward Gorey a little in it's surreal and sometimes disturbing stories (obviously also in it's similarity to the Gashlycrumb Tinies in presentation)
Funny wordless comics. 26 of them. All about men and their wierd situations. Lots of body humor, body parts falling off, reconstructed. Aline and the Others is a second book with 26 women. Pretty similar.
From A to Z--Aline to Zoe--an illustrated guide to mostly heartbreaking women and their methods. (Don't worry: a lot of the guys in here come off as total boneheads, too.)
Strange, sometimes humorous, sometimes perverse, collection of wordless strips depicting women and their relationships to those around them, such as lovers, mothers, and friends.
Leah Coffin
Disappointing, especially given how much I've enjoyed Delisle's other work. A couple of funny sections, but the majority were disturbingly misogynistic.
Great set of short stories by Guy Delisle. The stories are very imaginative and give you quite a few laughs.
Interesting. I enjoyed the varied characters throughout the alphabet and their strange lives.
Much more light-hearted than his other works. It's a good book to read in short bursts.
  • Spent
  • The Madame Paul Affair
  • Best of Enemies: A History of US and Middle East Relations, Part One: 1783-1953
  • Jetlag
  • The Littlest Pirate King
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • Marble Season
  • War's End: Profiles from Bosnia, 1995-1996
  • Welcome to the Dahl House: Alienation, Incarceration, and Inebriation in the New American Rome
  • Tonoharu: Part Two
  • White Rapids
Born in Quebec, Canada, Guy Delisle studied animation at Sheridan College. Delisle has worked for numerous animation studios around the world, including CinéGroupe in Montreal.

Drawing from his experience at animation studios in China and North Korea, Delisle's graphic novels Shenzen and Pyongyang depict these two countries from a Westerner's perspective. A third graphic novel, Chroniques Birmanes,
More about Guy Delisle...