Start by marking “Art Lover: A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim” as Want to Read:
Art Lover: A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim

Art Lover: A Biography of Peggy Guggenheim

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Peggy Guggenheim -- millionairess, legendary lover, sadomasochist, appalling parent, selective miser -- was one of the greatest and most notorious art patrons of the twentieth century.

After her father, Benjamin Guggenheim, went down with the Titanic, the young heiress came into a small fortune and left for Europe. She married the writer Laurence Vail and joined the America
Published May 13th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published October 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Art Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Lover

James
What can I say. Peggy Guggenheim is one of the most fascinating, driven, entertaining, annoying, dysfunctional, delightful, frustrating, self-centered, philanthropic women I have ever encountered in a biography. Her friends, acquaintances, lovers and enemies find heaps of reasons to love her and hate her. Gill covers a lot of ground in these 480 pages, drawing on Peggy's own memoir, other bios of her, countless other books and interviews to present Peggy's 80-year life. (I had the good fortune t ...more
Christine
Reading about Peggy's life and her artist friends was facinating, make sure to pick up a companion art book so you can look up the artwork as you read the book ( a tip from a friend)
Cristina
I have no idea why, but I am totally obsessed with Peggy Guggenheim. I love when crazy people are brilliant (and I can't get enough of her life in venice). I read way too many Peggy biographies after we got back from venice and this is my favorite. It relies heavily on Peggy's biography (including what was added and deleted through the various publishings) as well as other perspectives that frequently completely counter what she believes to have been true in her life. While my other historical w ...more
Liz
Sep 22, 2010 Liz added it
Any book with gossip about ex-pat surrealistes....is OK by me.
Pollopicu
My favorite Art biography/memoir. I loved this book so much that it's hard for me to write a review on it.
I feel guilty that I'm able to write lengthy reviews on other less deserving books and not on this, my most treasured one. I read this about 3 years ago, back then I wasn't a member of goodreads. It's hard for me to write in-depth reviews on books I've read in the past. Most of the reviews I have written here are books I've read as a current member, so it's been easy to freshly recall the de
Nicole Ritz
This was a difficult read in places,somewhat clunky and ponderous. It includes interesting detail about several artists including Marcel Duchamp, Max Ernst and Jackson Pollock. In many ways she led an enviable life -- independently wealthy, fabulous friends, endless travel -- but who would want to trade places with her? So much turmoil. She ended up alone and sad. Of course, all biographies have unhappy endings ...more
Kirsten
fascinating but dense - not exactly a quick read. but i enjoyed taking the time to look up specific works when mentioned as well as the artists in her circle. was familiar with perhaps 50 percent of the surrealists and abstract artists mentioned so i enjoyed delving deeper there. PG was not the most immediately likable "character" but i admire those who undertake an unconventional life and LIVE so "fully" and fearlessly. i am always interested in bohemian art/lit circles and this satisfies in th ...more
Amy Talluto
This was a good solid biography...but the book is long and especially dragged a bit in the last sections (perhaps because her life slowed down as well). The author doesn't pull any punches and shines a blazing spotlight on Guggenheim's flaws, bad relationships and poor decision-making and parenting. On one hand, this makes for juicy reading at times, but then the flip side is that also makes her a less sympathetic character. I ultimately didn't end up caring that much about her and so my heart w ...more
Brian
If you have an appreciation of art (even if it's not for the Surrealist movement), this is a great read. Very informative and full of references to writers and artists of the early 20th century. Well researched.

Imo, although Ms. Guggenheim lived a personal life most people probably wouldn't wish on anyone, her collection is a tribute and an inspiration to all who appreciate art. I think even today if she were here, something she could be proud of.
Sara
I enjoyed this biography but I didn't love it. To have loved it I wish it had had more pictures of works from her collection and more information about the artists she mixed and mingled with from the cubist, surrealist, and abstract expressionist schools and less about how much she hated her nose. Some of the best passages in the book were those that Gill lifted from Peggy's autobiography and it left me thinking that I should have just read that instead.
JoAnne
Jul 05, 2010 JoAnne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bio, art
What a woman! What a life! What a nut job.... Loved every minute of this book. Living Peggy's life vicariously through Gill's easy to read narrative, it was one hell of a joy ride. I recommend this to anyone who is an art lover, or anyone interested in reading about wacky, sex-obsessed, spoiled rich broads who turn into eccentric cold-hearted, dog-loving, lonely old hags. Having said that, what would the modern art world have done without her!!?
Mary
I really enjoyed reading this book. She was a fascinating person from a dysfunctional family who herself was very quirky and a very poor mother to her two children. She loved on a fascinating time and hung out with an amazing number of focus artist is of the period. I don't think I would have liked her. I do, however, want to see her collection in Venice some time.
Sally Armitage
P Guggenheim had such a fascinating life that it s tempting to over rate this book.
The whole thing deserves to be rewritten to take out to and fros which are hard to follow, irrelevant stuff and just basically to get the thing back into swing.
Magid
Jul 23, 2007 Magid rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rich art addicts
This book was really good. Well researched and gripping, Gill doesn't try to make you fall in love with Peggy, but rather leaves one with the impression of a really quite grotesque character who pushed her way through life and survived by sheer force of will. Fascinating.
Sally
Sep 20, 2007 Sally rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: art lovers
I love to read about artists and the art world. I love to watch movies about artists, too. This one follows the life of Peggy Guggenheim and the amazing contribution she made to the art world through her vast art collection. She was a wild woman and I liked her crazy sunglasses!
Luiz Filipe
A portrait of the 22th century in Arts. Really in depth.
Janet Charles
Anton Gill is an amazing biographer and speaker. I saw him at the Shakespeare and Co Literary Festival and had to buy his book. In Art Lover, he not only describes Peggy Guggenheim's life but Europe and the U.S. in the 20th century.
Susan
What a character! The art world would not be what it is today had it not been for Peggy Guggenheim's craziness, obstinance, cunning, stinginess...and a great eye for art ahead of its time. Fascinating read.
Alex
I thought I knew a fair amount about Peggy despite the modernity. As it turns out, I knew nothing at all. I don't even like biographies, but this one is a keeper.
Sandra S.
Well written about a fascinating woman but towards the end I wanted to escape from her and be finished with the book. Her own self torment was too much.
Barrie Spang
A bit too in depth on her childhood, but the stories from her years living abroad are wild. What a life she had. Very colorful.
Leah U
That was some mighty poor writing. It almost takes effort to make a book about such an interesting person so boring.
Juliek
Pre Venice reading... put me to sleep at night very quickly, couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Erin
Epic, a complete immersion into Peggy Guggenheim's fascinating life.
Maureen Flatley
I'll follow up Guggenheim's memoir w/ this well reviewed biography.
Margaret Sanchez
A fascinating biography of one of the art worlds quirkiest patrons.
Beth
Quick read, interesting story. Recommend for, well, art lovers.
  • Jackson Pollock: An American Saga
  • Fake! The Story of Elmyr de Hory, the Greatest Art Forger of Our Time
  • Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell
  • The Architect of Desire
  • The Lonely Hunter: A Biography of Carson McCullers
  • Breakfast with Lucian: The Astounding Life and Outrageous Times of Britain's Great Modern Painter
  • A Life of Picasso, Vol. 1: The Early Years, 1881-1906
  • Making the Mummies Dance: Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • De Kooning: An American Master
  • Modigliani: A Life
  • A Giacometti Portrait
Anton Gill worked for the English Stage Company, the Arts Council of Great Britain, and the BBC before becoming a full-time writer in 1984. He has written more than twenty books, mainly in the field of contemporary history.

aka Oliver Bowden
More about Anton Gill...
Il Gigante: Michelangelo, Florence, and the David 1492-1504 The Sacred Scroll The Great Escape: The Full Dramatic Story with Contributions from Survivors and Their Families City of the Horizon (Huy the Scribe Egyptian Mystery, #1) Journey Back from Hell