Start by marking “Ramadan” as Want to Read:

Hakeem and his family observe Ramadan together -- the holiest month of the Islamic calendar. They fast, they pray, all according to the belief of Quran first revealed fourteen centuries ago. It is a time to reflect on one's actions, to give to charity, and to celebrate one's faith.
Published August 18th 2005 by Holiday House (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ramadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramadan

Jim March
Jul 27, 2010 Jim March rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-eastern
This book is filled with fact-based, significant information about the 9th month of the Islamic lunar calendar, known as Ramadan. While Ghazi does a workmanlike job of passing along pertinent details about this holiday, as well as other important aspect of the Muslim faith, he makes a poor effort to turn this into a narrative about a boy named Hakeem and his family. A non-fiction book that was altered to fit a fictive storyline, the addition of Hakeem and his family seem un-natural. While there ...more
To be honest this is one of the best books about Ramadan I have read thus far.The loose story follows Hakeem, a young Muslim boy, through the month. The book covers the meaning of Ramadan, how it is celebrated, and about Eid al-Fitr in a lot of depth (for a children’s picture book). There is a lot of text in this one making it better suited to older readers and children with longer attention spans, which is too bad because the information it contains puts all those easier-to-read books to shame. ...more
Latifa Awad
Oct 25, 2014 Latifa Awad rated it it was amazing
Genre: Non- Fiction/ Culture/ Informational Books

This book explains a holy month of Muslims. The ninth month of the Muslim's calendar, Ramadan. The book gives a lot of details about what Muslims do during this month. In this month Muslims have to fast in the daytime and break their fast in the night. As the book explains, fasting is not the only component in Ramadan. Muslims are also required to give charity and to share food with friends, family, and poor people. The book also states the people
Between children's books and trolling Wikipedia for basic knowledge I should have learned in elementary school but didn't, children's books always win.
Ariel Ortiz
Jun 25, 2014 Ariel Ortiz added it
Shelves: text-set
After reading "Salam: A Muslim-American Boy's Story" and providing your students with an introduction to the faith of Islam, "Ramadan" is an excellent book to zoom in on one of the most important traditions in the faith of Islam. It allows for students to begin to to understand the meaning behind religious traditions and how rituals, such as fasting are used as a means of connecting with whatever higher powers a religious person believes in. If there are any muslim students in your class, this b ...more
Ayman Fadel
This book is good to introduce a non-Muslim youth audience to fasting during the month of Ramadan. The best part of the book is the illustrations by Omar Rayyan.

I do have several criticisms of the text, some of which could be fixed in a new edition and others which could not.

The biggest problem which a new edition could not fix is the poor use of a fictional narration for a non-fiction text. Goodreads reviewer Jim Marsh wrote:

A non-fiction book that was altered to fit a fictive storyline, the a
This was a good basic introduction to the Ramadan holiday for readers who know nothing about it. The text is a bit dry, but I enjoyed the description of the midnight feasts with family. Mostly I appreciated the illustrations, which are lovely. Anyone familiar with the Cambridge, MA mosque that can be spied walking from Central Sq. to Inman Sq. should recognize some of the motif details immediately. This is a good book for non-Muslim parents to begin an investigation of how to explain Ramadan to ...more
Rose Goodwin
This book is a great resource for teachers to introduce Muslim/Islam culture. It is well put together and has a glossary at the end. It is done from a boy in a family who is celebrating Ramadan. It is helpful in understanding this culture.
Jun 22, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since we are in the month of Ramadan I figured I needed to know more. All I knew was no eating from Sun up to Sun down. I really enjoyed it! The pictures are interesting and informative! Assalamu alaikum
Margo Dunagan
Jun 15, 2016 Margo Dunagan rated it really liked it
This is a well written book about the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. It is written from a child's point of view. My kids enjoyed it and learned new information.
Janet Luch
Jul 03, 2016 Janet Luch rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Hakeem is a young boy who shares the difficulty of fasting during Ramadan. The book explains the meaning and customs of Ramadan very well. The reader sees how a young person thinks and acts during Ramadan through Hakeem's eyes.
Cassandra Ball
Dec 07, 2010 Cassandra Ball rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
This book was all about the holiday that is celebrated by Muslims, called Ramadan. I found it to not only be multi-cultural but informative and fun as well! I really liked all of the pictures and the glossary that was in the back of the book. I found the glossary very helpful when I was trying to go back and review what I had read. I also really liked how the traditions of Ramadan through the life of a young boy whose family celebrates Ramadan. I think that this would a great book to read to a c ...more
Nov 17, 2014 Kak rated it liked it
A simple to understand book for kids
Amanda Richards
This is a good read for children who are learning about Ramadan or who are learning about different cultures (or their own really). It was a very quick read, I read it in less than 20 minutes.

It is written very 'matter of fact' which is good for the audience it is geared towards (children) and the artwork is fantastic! I would buy a copy of this for the art alone.

Overall it was a pretty good book and a very good basic introduction to Ramadan.
Apr 10, 2012 Brandy rated it really liked it
This story describes a young Muslim boy named Hakeem and his experiences during the holiday Ramadan. I think this is a fantastic book because it is very realistic and has engaging illustrations. It gives examples of Arabic terms and describes the diversity of Islam without perpetuating stereotypes. I think it is appropriate for read-alouds, but it is slightly lengthy and would most likely appeal to older children.
Abbi Kraus
Sep 28, 2011 Abbi Kraus rated it it was amazing
This book gives a really clear and unbiased explaination of the month of Ramadan. I liked how it follows a child through a typical day during Ramadan, and how the child must fast even if he is very hungry. It also answers questions a child might ask: "Do babies have to fast during Ramadan?" "What if everyone else gets a snack?" This is a great resource!
This is a pretty cool book for children about Ramadan. The writing wasn't too engaging, but I knew almost nothing about this holiday, so it was interesting nonetheless. The watercolor illustrations are beautiful, with stunning borders in a traditional Middle Eastern style framing each illustration. It won a Carter G. Woodson Book Award in 1997.
This book talks about Ramadan, the holiest month in the Muslim lunar year. It gives some background information about Islam and then goes on to explain the holy month. The story refers back to a boy named Hakeem and his family to illustrate what is typically done during Ramadan.
Nov 14, 2011 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, holidays
This is a book about a boy named Hakeem and his family and how they celebrate Ramadan. The book explains how Muslim families follow the lunar calendar, what are thier customs and meanings of those customs during Ramadan. It is a very nice book to include in any children's library!
May 19, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Thought it was a really nice way to explain Ramadan to kids, esp b/c of the gorgeous watercolor illustrations by Omar Rayyan. School Library Journal recommends it be paired with another book I've read called "Magrid Fasts for Ramadan" (Clarion, 1996).
Michelle G.
I'd read parts/paraphrase this book (there is a lot of text, a lot of it not essential for an introduction to Ramadan) to help explain why one or more of my Muslim students is fasting.
Dec 18, 2011 Fay rated it liked it
Shelves: printbook, islam, kids, fiction
Nice book for kids on Ramadan, it is a bit text-bookish though. However, with such little out there for kids in the English language I highly recommend this for the family library.
Another library book borrowed by my granddaughter. An illustrated book to introduce children to the story of Ramadan. The illustrations are particularly nice.
Kerri Harshaw
A nice informational children's book about Ramadan. This would be a great book to help teach students about the Muslim tradition of Ramadan.
Aug 20, 2012 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nice, straight-forward non-fiction for explaining this holiday to children.
Karen Walton
Aug 12, 2016 Karen Walton added it
Shelves: wow
Maura rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Nessa marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016