Start by marking “Drifting South” as Want to Read:
Drifting South

Drifting South

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Shady doesn't exist anymore. Neither does Benjamin Purdue. In a single day he lost his family, his love, his freedom and even his name for reasons he's never known. Now after spending twenty-one years in prison for crimes he didn't commit, the young man he used to be is dead. And the man he's become is no one he—or anyone else—would ever want to know.

With only fifty dollar

Published December 1st 2008 by Mira (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Drifting South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drifting South

Lynn
An interesting read in a unique voice. The narrator, newly released from prison goes in search of his past, in search of answers, in search of home and family. Ben Purdue, or so he is known, isn't who he thinks he is. Someone tried to kill him when he was a teen-ager, and twice again in prison for reasons he still does not understand. As he attempts to make his way back to "Shady", a place that was never even a town but none-the-less the only home he has ever known, we learn what he knows of his...more
Tracey
The book started a little slow in terms of storytelling (although the entire thing is a very fast read!). It started to get really interesting about mid-way through, and there were a lot of plot twists and turns even I didn't expect (I'm always predicting endings).

The writing style is very interesting because it's written using the vernacular of a blue-collared Virginian with a fairly low level of education.

I felt as though the last 1/3 of the book was pretty rushed though - found myself think...more
Heather Sadie
Drifting SouthDrifting South by Charles Davis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Liked the voice it was written in (made one feel as if you're in Virginia). I liked the story line, but it was a little rushed in the end. Easy read. Wondered if this could be fiction.

Wendy Paige
Interesting story that feels like the old West but it is really NC/virginia between 1959 - and 1980. Satisfying ending.
Linda
I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. The family mystery kept me going from start to finish. The author fleshed out the main character, and made me want to find out his hidden past and what was to become of him in his future. The tone of the book was one I particularly like and rarely find. I love books that feature a character with a distinct and unique voice. Ben was uneducated, wild, yet self-exploring and profound. I would have given this book more stars, but I didn't think the resol...more
Nitrorockets
The life of a small town boy becomes a mess the year he turns 18. The beautiful girl whom he me on his Aunt Kate's plantation in North Carolina found him looking for love but what she brought was something more sinister. Living on luck and charm he never thought would run out he is faced with a barrel of a gun. A few crazy preachers, drifters, con men and whores all fill the line of characters of this story. That boy learns that being a man means a whole lot more than finding a woman and having...more
Garryvivianne
A young southern boy grows up in a very small town with many siblings & a mother who works as a "lady of the evening" to feed her family. An encounter with a young woman from a big city changes his life forever. Sometimes this seems hopeless for the young boy, now an ex-prisoner & a man. His life takes some unexpected turns when he is released, he finds he has nothing, not even the town he came from exists any more. This book was pretty good.
Renae
I really enjoyed this. I'd give it 3.5 stars. I took a chance and picked this up at B&N before our short vacation last week. I hadn't read any reviews prior (yikes). Anyway, it's a great story. It was slow in the beginning, but I'm not sure if it's because I had to stop and start reading between flights, etc. The author does a fabulous job with the ending. And, for some authors that seems to be difficult!
Karen Cockerill
Mar 05, 2012 Karen Cockerill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Elri Hunt
What a beautiful story. For me it was a slow start however as I got into the book it just got better and better. Some profound twists. The story is about a boy called Benjamin Purdue growing up in a town called Shady, which of course sounds like it matches it's name. One day life throws Benjamin a curve ball and the next 21 year are spent living Henry Cole and wandering why someone wants him dead.
Bill Lancaster
Lame. The hardest thing for me with this book was finishing it. It started strong with interesting language from which I shared lines with friends. About midway the internalization got to be too much, the information dumps pervaded page after page, and the slight bump at the end was not enough to redeem it. I'll hesitate before picking up this author's works again.
Vickie
This book had so much promise, but wow, it was just a terrible book. Poorly written, this novel was hard to follow. Now I know why no one has even heard of this book or author. The "secrets" about the main character's life, once revealed, were convoluted and unrealistic. The book's ending was equally convoluted and ridiculous. Don't waste your time.
Stephanie
The subject matter was a little rough... but it never, to me, crossed the line to too graphic - it also all had a place in the story of Ben's life, and all makes so much (sad)sense at the end. This was definitely a page turner! I didn't love parts of the ending, it sort of dragged a bit, but over all, I really liked this book! =)
Di
I had a little trouble staying focused here and there, but over all a very good book. The thing I liked best about it was the idea/teasing/possibility of "heaven". I liked his ideas/thoughts and find that they somewhat mirror my own.
I will be looking for more to read by Charles Davis.
Robert
It was a good fiction book. I thought early on the book dragged a little bit but once you got 2/3rds in it picked up a little bit. Don't really have to much to say about it. It wasn't great, and it wasn't horrible. To quote the great Simon Cowell, "It was "forgettable".
Brandon
Great book, with interesting character development and an imaginative plot. I'm not the emotional type, but I was definitely drawn into this book, in the sense of really caring about what happens to the characters; the sign of a well written book.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
Suspenseful and emotional. A young boy sent to prison for a murder he did not commit- gets out and finds out the real truth of what happened and the real truth about his past. Set in North Carolina and Virginia.
Shannon
This book dragged. I was waiting for something exciting to happen the whole time. There was an excellerating moment in the middle, but then it fadded. The ending was a surprise, but not enough to make book any better.
Mary Krekeler
This was our book club book. Everyone liked it. My husband found the language kind of hard to follow at first. Interesting twist in the story. Was surprised how it all turned out.
Janeal
This book wasn't anything what I expected it to be. It was difficult to really get lost in it at first, but I did begin to somewhat enjoy it by the end.
Paul
I enjoyed this book, but I thought the story moved in a different direction than I was expecting. I think this story is deeper than I was planning.
Rose
I thought this book was very interesting. It starts off very slow but once you read on to the middle the story progresses and gets "juicy".
Joyce
Another book by Charles Davis of goodness. Wish this author would write more!
Lerissa Govender
part of this book was a bit boring but at the end of the story it was worth it
Rebecca Atkins
Slow at parts but overall a great story that I'm still thinking about...
Sharon
I enjoyed the story....I just didn't enjoy the style of writing.
Stacey
Easy read and entertaining but a little predictable.
Becky
Well written, with some interesting twists and turns.
Curt J
creative, unique, page-turning story
Caryn Hammann
Caryn Hammann marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Kristy
Kristy added it
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
120733
Basically, middle-class boy born in the suburbs of London in 1960.

After a dissolute time at university, it occurred to me that if I wanted to write, I'd better get on and write something (I’m sharp like that), so I sat down and, through my mid to late twenties, churned out a novel a year. I always found plenty of publishers and agents ready to read these outpourings, but since I never took the tro...more
More about Charles Davis...
Standing at the Crossroads Western Public Lands and Environmental Politics The Art Of Access: Strategies For Acquiring Public Records Ship Models: How to Build Them Bumping About Brittany