Start by marking “My Very First Book of Colors” as Want to Read:
My Very First Book of Colors

My Very First Book of Colors (My Very First Book)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What color is a bluebird? Easy to answer, but even easier when you have thecolor to match it with. Find the color in the top half of a page that matches the picture on the bottom half. From pink flowers to purple grapes, this colorful book is full of fun and surprises. Children will love solving these color puzzles featuring Eric Carle's bold and vibrant artwork.
Board Book, 20 pages
Published May 19th 2005 by Philomel Books (first published October 22nd 1985)

To ask other readers questions about My Very First Book of Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Very First Book of Colors

Meaghan Grady
My Very First Book of Colors By: Eric Carle 1974
Meaghan G., Spring 2015
**Picture book: Concept Book**

This book is a fun filled book learning about colors. This book is very interactive and young readers will be able to enjoy this book! The book gives a color at the top and then there is pictures on the bottom and the reader can match the color to the picture. This book is a flip book so its cut into half and then has flaps to go through. Eric Carle does a great job through his illustrations maki
Beckett
I like the vibrant colors and the classic Carle style of illustration. One complaint: the color orange is missing - the O in ROYGBIV, one of the secondary colors. It found room for black and white and pink and brown, but no orange. Boo!

For reading and vocabulary building purposes I would've also liked to have seen the name of the corresponding object on the adjacent page.
Eric
This book is a pain to read. Like many of Carle's books it has a gimmick --in this case two panels. One with a color and one with a picture. It is meant to be a game, I suppose, but I found it both tedious and distracting
the art is pretty though.
Meg McGregor
Young readers will love this. After they pick a COLOR on the top page they need to match it with a PICTURE on a bottom page.

A unique learning experience, along with Eric Carle's wondrous illustrations, will have your little ones longing to read this over and over again!
Meg McGregor

Amy Nicole
This book is not fun to read because it's such a pain to match the pages. It also doesn't hold my little one's interest at all. Some of the Eric Carle books are awesome, and some I feel are just created to make money because he's so famous. Skip this one.
Andd Becker
This flapped board book has matching color names and colors.
Keshia
Fun book. would be better for 2-4 yr olds. not 1 yr olds.
Cheyenne
Cute matching book for colors.
Kristen
For some reason, I hadn't heard of this book until Jace picked it up at the library. Each page in the book is cut in two, halfway down the page. There are colors on top and objects in that color on the bottom and you have to turn the page to match the colors together. Super interesting concept! This is a book we'll have to add to our own collection (along with the word and shapes one as well!)
jacky
I normally love Eric Carle, but this "My Very First Book" series is a big miss for me. His art is still great to look at, but this matching is took difficult. Of all the books in the series, I would say this one is the easiest for a child to use.
Jill
Dec 22, 2010 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6 months +
Holly loves this one! the top half of the book has colors and the bottom half has pictures of different colored things--you flip between them to find the match. It's a book and a game in one! perfect for 6 month to one year old.
Naomi
it's a little hard flipping throught the divided pages to match the colors but Adam loves the bright colors and pictures
Sharon
A Christmas gift from Abuela. Tommy loves these books, but Mom and Dad finf the flip-page structure overly time-consuming.
Tommy
A Christmas gift from Abuela. Tommy loves these books, but Mom and Dad find the flip-page structure overly time-consuming.
Danny
Inspired Kathy
Divided pages with colors on top and pictures on the bottom. Interactive book to match the colors with the picture
Heather Richard
I love the split pages - way more dynamic for teaching colors to babies than a traditional book of colors...
Janelle
I love the images selected to match with the colors. But, where is the orange?
Leila T.
It's kindof a bit confusing, but the illustrations are fabulous.
Jenn S
Very cool design of book where colors can be matched.
Gail
My 19 month old daughter was not interested in this book.
Danica Midlil
My baby loves to turn all the mini half pages.
Carver
The split pages are rather annoying.
Juliette
Oct 22, 2013 Juliette added it
Shelves: read-to
Read to me by my Granmamá!
Lu Benke
Lu Benke marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • First 100 Words
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • The Greedy Python
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Trucks Board Book
  • Black on White
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • No No Yes Yes
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Waddle!
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Alice in Wonderland: A BabyLit® Colors Primer
  • Heads
  • Baby Faces
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • How Do I Love You?
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...

My Very First Book (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • My Very First Book of Food
  • My Very First Book of Heads and Tails
  • My Very First Book Of Sounds
  • My Very First Book of Growth
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe