Start by marking “The Rainbow Fish” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  87,037 Ratings  ·  1,496 Reviews
The award-winning book about a beautiful fish who finds friendship and happiness when he learns to share is now available in a board book edition for the youngest child.
Board Book, 12 pages
Published January 27th 1999 by NorthSouth (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbow Fish, please sign up.

Daisy About a fish, who learns to share.

Kat Kennedy
Mar 30, 2012 Kat Kennedy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My infant son's enemies/rivals
I'm always on the look-out for new, well-written children's books for my son. We had been reading him: Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! and Why Mommy is a Democrat.

He loved the story and drawings!

description

However, he didn't seem to take to them as much as I thought he would...so I decided to find something else as informative, well-balanced and fun to read with my child.

Then I came across The Rainbow Fish by Macrus Pfister.

The Rainbow Fish is a story about a spectacular fish with amazing sca
Laila
Feb 23, 2008 Laila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books-read
Ahem. Nice little book that teaches sharing, or subtle liberal socialist propaganda which teaches to give away all and anything special about yourself or what you have for the betterment of the whole?

You might think I'm being ridiculous, but I was a bit alarmed at this children's book when a professor in a teaching class read it to us aloud. Basically, Rainbow Fish is special because, unlike the other fish, he is special and has many colors of the rainbow on his fins. The other fish grow jealous
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Or: How to Buy Friends Who Were Jealous of You

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for teaching kids to share and to not act like little snots. But there's something disturbing in the idea that Rainbow Fish has to give away all but one of his beautiful sparkly scales (toys, possessions) to the other jealous fishies so they'll be his friends.
Petra X
I've just read a one-star review of this book that was, to me, highly amusing. It has been one-starred because the reviewer thinks it is nothing but socialist propaganda, in other words it's going to lead toddlers and little children straight down the Red Road to Communism.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer is American since no one in Europe would actually care whether it was socialist propaganda or not, socialism being a perfectly acceptable political philosophy there. Indeed many governments have b
babyhippoface
Mar 17, 2008 babyhippoface rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm all into sharing and stuff, but this little guy was basically told that he had to give away everything that made him special just so other fish wouldn't be jealous and mean. Is this fair? Heck no!

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from The Incredibles, when Dash says something along the lines of, "If everybody's special, then NOBODY is."
Janni
A chilling tale about a young fish who learns that no one will ever like him--until he gives up the thing that makes him unique and becomes just like everyone else.

Of a genre with The Giving Tree and the stalker classic Love You Forever.
Rebecca
May 17, 2008 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I also thought the message in this book was not good for children. We have to give things to people so they will like us? What? Sure, this book is trying to teach about friendship and giving of oneself, but where in the book do the other fish stop being selfish and jealous? Those are not qualities that should be rewarded, and the poor rainbow fish has to give away all of his lovely scales to jealous, hateful fish. Just awful. I think it would be a lot different if the other fish were in "need" o ...more
Mandy Blair Crider
Read this with my daughter. The sparkly fins on the fish were cute and caught her attention and story was a good one about how to share with others and how it will make you happy.
Vivian
Sep 22, 2015 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, classics
This is another one of the books that horrified me when I read it to a younger family member without pre-reading. Another, you are a bad adult moment. I still can't believe how popular this book is with the self-crippling message it espouses.

Everyone says, this is all about sharing and isn't that wonderful. We all want children to learn the value of community and sharing. These are basic tenets of being a social animal and being in a group. Admirable goal without a doubt.

That's not this book's
Leigh
Apr 29, 2008 Leigh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: guidance counselors.
Recommended to Leigh by: Hand me down
I'm fairly hard pressed to truly dislike a children's book, but the message of this story is awful. This beautiful and unique fish meets some horribly jealous fish who won't befriend him. In order to be accepted, the rainbow fish must give up all of his scales to bribe the other fish to be his friends. What kind of message does this send to a child? I could see a child, having experienced unkind treatment, deciding to give away all her favorite toys trying to become popular on the playground bas ...more
Skylar Burris
My daughter has already asked me to read this several times since checking it out form the library. I like that the vocabulary is not as dumbed down as in most modern children's books.

I can see and somewhat appreciate some people's problem with the book as being a sort of socialist piece of propaganda that uniqueness is unacceptable and everyone must be brought down to the same level.

On the other hand...it could instead be a Christian message.

I have no idea whether or not the author is Christ
Clouds
My wife and I had previously discussed the way this kids book makes us feel uncomfortable. The moral of the story seems to be that if you do not give away whatever makes you special, you will never have any friends.

So imagine the big goofy grin on my face when I check it out on GoodReads and see several of my GR friends indulging in scandalized rants about the socialist propaganda hidden within these seductive cardboard pages...!

I'm not going to go that far. It's really a very sweet little story
Neligh
Jul 30, 2008 Neligh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody really
Shelves: children
Now, the Rainbow Fish had scales that were shiny.
something something and act like a hiney.
the plain fishes gave up asking him to play,
something rude something, he swam away.

Later a plain fish requested a scale
"absolutely not," he sputtered, turning pale.
"they're mine. they're me. they're attached to my body."
Screamed the plain fish, "well I think they're gaudy!!"

much later, lonely and wanting some fun
he cried, "I know! I'll give away all but one!
THAT will make up for me being a tool!"
But before
Rossy
Jan 14, 2015 Rossy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, one-star
So this special and unique fish has to give away his scales in order to have friends and be liked by the others? I don't think so -_- Ho about liking him for who he is? No, right? Unless he "shares" his scales with everyone, he will be an outcast! Yay! Ugh.
Megan Sanchez
Aug 04, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was about six, we had a book fair at school. You remember them - some company would take over your school library for the week and everyday you'd be asked to walk around and look at all the books you couldn't afford. At least, that's how I remember it. But this time, I became completely infatuated with one book in particular and could see no others. It was The Rainbow Fish. Everything about the book was magical to me and I begged and begged for the money to buy it. Finally, after days of ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 11, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally love this book, despite the fact that other people are so outraged by it. I find it kind of funny that people seem to be reaching for meanings, maybe as a means to back up their own personal feelings about things. Anyways....

The Rainbow Fish is very vain and thinks he's better than the other fish because he is so beautiful. He learns that being the most beautiful fish is not what is really important. I won't spoil it, but I think it's a great book and teaches valuable lessons.
Brittany
Jun 21, 2015 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I am all for teaching children to share and make friends, and I'm also all in favor of beautiful books about animals.

So I sat down to read this book to my infant son. And was horrified.

Here is the plot:

Rainbow Fish is lovely. He has lots of sparkly silver scales. None of the other fish have these silver scales. Rainbow Fish does not play with the other fish. But one day, a little blue fish asks Rainbow Fish for one of his shiny scales. Rainbow Fish, understandably thrown, says "NO, those are pa
Charlotte Dutton
Rainbow fish is an award winning book written by Swiss author and illustrator, Marcus Pfister and translated into English by J.Alison James. The story is about a beautiful fish, with glimmering scales, on his journey to find friendship through the act of learning to share. Hesitant at first, this beautiful fish cannot imagine giving away some of his glimmering scales, however, with the advice of a wise octopus, he soon realises he is much happier when he shares his beauty with the other fish in ...more
Ghettohippie
Jun 21, 2008 Ghettohippie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: definately every child needs a copy
read it as often as possible to as many people as possible.....everybody gets a piece of beauty.....everyone is sharing.....everybody is friends....but the real reason i like the book so much is there is something shiny on every page.....yeah...the truthis finally out
Karen
Jul 29, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard this book read aloud for the first time at a summer camp. A good friend then bought it for me as a birthday gift. It is a beautiful story about the joy that comes from giving of yourself to others.
Jamila Kamal
Jul 17, 2012 Jamila Kamal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Rainbow fish’ is a beautifully illustrated book written by Marcus Pfister, and is most definitely one of my favourite childhood books! It tells a story of a unique fish, who is constantly praised for having many colours of the rainbow on her fins. One day the rainbow fish is asked to share her beautiful scales with the other fish. However to their bewilderment, the brightly coloured fish refuses to share. The rainbow fish eventually seeks solace from the wise octopus who advises that it is ...more
Orla Byrne
This is a beautifully illustrated book by Marcus Pfister. However, I'm in two minds about the story. On the one hand, like other reviewers, I feel that the key message is a bit odd. It tells the story of a fish who has lovely glittery scales but has no friends as the other fish are so jealous of his beauty. In order for the other fish to like him, he must give away all of his lovely scales. Only when they have gained a share of his scales will the other fish make friends with him. Although it do ...more
Zequoia Hyche
Jul 14, 2014 Zequoia Hyche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning-tools
This book to me is a very important one, because it teaches children about having beauty within and confidence in yourself. Not only that, but it also teaches to the topic of making friends. As children, it often can become difficult for students to make friends, because of what they look like or what they may have. Others can be jealous of those things and treat you differently, but once you are confident in yourself, it helps others to be more accepting and comfortable around you. And you are ...more
Crystal Dawn
I'm a little confused by all of the negative reviews. A vain and completely self centered fish is under the impression his friends love him simply because he's beautiful. When he is openly rude to one of them, letting his much smaller and less fortunate 'friend' know that he is of an upper class and doesn't have to associate with him never mind sharing with him, they refuse to talk to him to show him how rude he was. It's not until he shares his 'wealth' and forgets his own beauty and class that ...more
Aug 04, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
A lot of people rave over this one. Yes, it is true that the sparkly illustrations are eye-catching. However, the storyline is so common it has become rather trite. We get it okay? There's more to beauty than what's on the outside. Blah, blah, blah. Yet the irony is that the reason this book is so popular is precisely because of its beautiful illustrations.
Amanda-rdg3320
Jun 29, 2008 Amanda-rdg3320 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course this is a classic, it was one of the first books I got when I was little. Its a good book to teach about individuality and sharing and several other social skills. The colors are great in the book and the little metallic scales really add to the story. Kids love this book, I know I read it over and over.
Kate Matson
May 26, 2016 Kate Matson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngsters
This was such an adorable book!!! It had a great lesson to the story. Loved the artwork!
Kelly
Feb 05, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great little tale...
Elishia
Oct 06, 2011 Elishia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rainbow Fish

This is an enchanting tale of the most beautiful fish in the ocean, the Rainbow Fish. Rainbow Fish had beautiful scales and all the other fish were in awe of her beauty. However when asked one day to share just one of her scales, Rainbow Fish refused to and all the other fish began to shun her.
Rainbow fish sought advice from the wise octopus and decided to be kind and share a beautiful scale as asked. Soon, she had shared all her scales out and only had one remaining. Yet, unlike
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 Tracey Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister is a wonderful tale with a moral that isn’t too deep even for the smallest
of children to understand. The story belongs to a very vain fish who discovers how rewarding it is to share with others. The eye-catching, holographic foil stamping tells the story of the vain, lonely Rainbow Fish who relinquishes his pride and gives away almost all of his special shiny scales to gain friends. The Rainbow Fish will enchant even the youngest child with his silver scales a
Around the Year i...: The Rainbow Fish, by Marcus Pfister 3 11 Jan 20, 2016 12:48AM
  • The Grouchy Ladybug
  • Stellaluna
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Wemberly Worried
  • Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • The Kissing Hand
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • It's Okay to Be Different
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • The Greedy Triangle
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • A Color of His Own
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • The Mitten
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...