Start by marking “The Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Story

The Christmas Story

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  16 reviews
First published in 1952, this classic Little Golden Book retelling of the Christmas story was illustrated by beloved artist Eloise Wilkin. Its simple but poetic text gently invites children to hear the story of Jesus' birth in a stable in Bethlehem.
Published August 1st 2000 by Golden Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Story

Robert Beveridge
Jane Werner, The Christmas Story (Golden Press, 1952)

I was certainly the wrong person to read this one to the Bean—it's a hand-me-down from my wife's family—given how antipathetic I am to religion, but then I was relieved when the book simply would have failed to live up to even my barest expectations of pre-lit even if I were a foaming-at-the-mouth young-earth creationist. The obvious flaw in the book, which is listed on the title page as being “told by” Jane Werner, is that she starts off tryi...more
Melissa
Disclaimer: I usually review children's book based more on what my children think of the book and less on what I think of the book...

My children really like this book!
HeavyReader
The edition I had (from way back in the last century) had a totally different cover. The cover image had Mary holding the little baby Jesus. He was wrapped in a yellow blanket. Mary was a very pale woman wearing a red dress with long sleeves and draped in a blue cape trimmed in gold. She's got the hood of the cape up, covering her hair. At the bottom of the illustration, you can see some hay, as if Mary is standing right next to the manger.

(Of course, I don't remember all those details. I'm look...more
♥ Sarah ♥
A good book about the real meaning of Christmas and story of baby Jesus.

Age: ?
Lesson: The true meaning of Christmas.
Purchased: 10 cents at Salvation Army
Amanda
My husband and I read this to my 4-month-old son Alaric on his first Christmas morning. It was a simple yet beautiful retelling of the Christmas story for young children. I'll admit that I did giggle when Mary "brought forth her son". If only labor were that easy!
Kristy Powers
The illustrator of this Golden Book is Eloise Wilkin. Some people, like me, will be sold on that alone. This is a simple version of the story, including Gabriel's visit, the travel to the inn, angels and shepherd, Herod and the Three Wise Men. We read this every year.
Mëlissa  Bakër
Awesome book for young ones, my kids ages 2 and 5 want this book read over and over throughout the whole year.. do your kids a favor and get your children this book :)
Kylee
I liked how this book made the Christmas Story so simple. It is perfect for small children because the language they use is so easy to understand.
Angie Bollard
I loved this book. I wore it out from use. I had to buy another copy when I was a grown-up.
Eric
An account of the Christmas story, nicely illustrated, designed for young readers.
Kirei
Ahh, this is a sweet book illustrated by the talented Eloise Wilkin.
Ashley Howd
Absolutely beautiful illustrations of the Blessed Virgin!
Olson Family Matters
Good straight forward telling of the Christmas story!
Nicole Sandford
A great christmas story good for grade 4.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Mine's a different edition though.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
What Christmas is all about.
Emma
Emma added it
Oct 19, 2014
Chris Meier
Chris Meier marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Sarah Owen
Sarah Owen marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sarah Owen
Sarah Owen marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Frosty the Snow Man My Big Little Golden Book About God The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book) The Tall Book of Make-Believe Cinderella (Little Golden Book)