Time and the Gods

Time and the Gods

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"Not only does any tale which crosshatches between this world and Faerie owe a Founder's Debt to Lord Dunsany, but the secondary world created by J.R.R. Tolkien--from which almost all fantasylands have devolved--also took shape and flower from Dunsany's example." --The Encyclopedia of Fantasy

Most fantasy enthusiasts consider Lord Dunsany one of the most significant forces...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1906)

Jonathan

Lord Dunsany is one of the most remarkable authors to have ever lived. If not in the way he wrote his prose, then in the way he lived his life as an adventure. And from this sense of adventure he developed a most remarkable perspective on the universe and fantasy. From this perspective he wrote a new mythology full of childish wonder, simplicity and also beauty. There is an aesthetic of delight to be found in Time and the Gods and it is this aesthetic which is so very appealing to read.

"And as a...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Well... Why give 3 stars and make it Favorite. Well, because not all stories within are excelent. Some are quite weak. But others... ulálá... They are masterpieces. They are the foundation of Fantasy. If Tolkien is considered as the father of Fantasy then Lord Dunsany is the Grandfather of it all.

There are some great tales within this short story collection like The Men of Yarnith; Time and the Gods; The coming of the Sea and probably my second favourite In the Land of Time. In this story you've...more
Nikki
I haven't read any Dunsany before, but I'm glad I finally got round to it. Having a whole collection of these stories was maybe a bit much to read in one go (ah, train journeys), but I did enjoy the world Dunsany created, and the mythic language he used to tell it. I should read more by and about Dunsany, I think: I don't actually know anything about him.
behemothing
Time and the Gods is probably one of the most metal things I have ever read. If I make a prog rock concept album, I have my source material:

"Then Slid went backward growing and summoned together the waves of a whole sea and sent them singing full in Tintaggon's face. Then from Tintaggon's marble front the sea fell backwards crying on to a broken shore, and ripple by ripple straggled back to Slid saying: 'Tintaggon stands.'"
-The Coming of the Sea.

"And far away Trogool upon the utter Rim turned a...more
Joseph
Basically like The Gods of Pegana only moreso. Again, these are primarily vignettes or prose poems or fables rather than anything resembling more traditional stories -- those will start appearing in his next book, The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories. Again, filled with lovely King James prose and beautiful, evocative names and again not a great jumping-in place if you've never read Dunsany before.
Stephen Brooke
The stories in ‘Time and the Gods’ follow those Dunsany wrote for ‘The Gods of Pegana’ and have at once more ambition and less charm than those tales. One can more readily see Dunsany’s influence on Tolkien’s myths in ‘The Silmarillion’ and elsewhere here, as well.

But unlike Tolkien, there is an underlying humor that is both skeptical and tolerant of mankind’s (and the gods’?) shortcomings. There is also a wistfulness that foreshadows Dunsany’s novels, the sense that there are things on the othe...more
Michael Eisenberg
I've been completely caught up in the short stories of Lord Dunsany (as I said in an earlier post), pretty much all I've been reading for the last month or so. I finally finished them all (at least all that are relevant to the "fantastic")including his first novel "Don Rodriquez: The Chronicles of Shadow Valley" so I'm coming up for a breath of fresh air...and have decided to read the Titus Groan trilogy by M. Peake. I'm only 30 pages in and I can tell that this is going to be one wild ride!

But...more
Ian Massey
When the Fantasy and SF Masterworks series came out I thought they would contain books that, as a huge fan of both genres, I SHOULD read. Sadly, there are more in both series that I don't get on with that those that I like.

In terms of fantasy novels, I don't know what it is about older ones that means I can read a page and not remember a single thing from it - the language, maybe, or the style of writing. This series also includes one of just three books that I haven't managed to complete at all...more
Jason
A good example of early fantasy literature, if a bit dry at times. As with most collections of short stories (which is how this seemed to me), there were some stronger than others. I particularly liked "A Legend of the Dawn" and "In the Land of Time". Interesting to see where so many successful fantasy writers got their inspiration.
Stuart
Dunsany, unrestrained. Great ideas buried in a bunch of dense-asss faux-biblical mysticism. Which is sad because the dude is clearly brilliant and inventive.
Psychophant
Dunsany is a critical influence on XXth century Fantasy in English, so indirectly it is influential on all modern fantasy. The baroque modernist writing has influenced how fantasy was presented, through Tolkien.

I like Dunsany's overwrought style, doomed characters, and naive rejection of technology, but in small doses. So this is a good book to read as I did, in electronic form, without continuity. If I had read it in one go I would have given in only two stars, as so many stories are similar a...more
Evgeny
Another classic fantasy book which had a lot of influence on J.R.R. Tolkien thus on the whole fantasy genre. The dated style makes is quite hard to read (thus only 2 stars instead of 3). It is a collection of short stories related to early days of gods and their creation and later, relationship between people and gods (mostly done with prophets being the interpreters of gods' will. The book is curious for historical value, if nothing else.
Marts  (Thinker)
Fantastic classic tales by Lord Dunsany... according to the preface:
"These tales are of the things that befel gods and men in
Yarnith, Averon, and Zarkandhu, and in the other countries
of my dreams."

...for those who love to occasionally drift away from reality...

Available online here: http://dcc.vu/Media/E-Books/Lord%20Du...
DavidO
It felt like an unnecessary sequel to his first book. Didn't seem to add much (coherent) to the mythology to me. It added stuff, but it was all over the place and didn't seem to have much point. Maybe that's why it wasn't in his first book, that is, maybe this is mostly all the stuff that wasn't good enough to be in the first book.
Jesse
This is one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long time! It is basically a lost mythology. Well, a mythology that only appears in Dunsany's mind. It is written so beautifully and the prose are so poetic and enchanting and visual and it makes you ache to be there.

A very quick read, I would recomend it to everybody!!
Chris
Chu-bu and Sheemish was awesome (which is the only reason I'm giving this an extra star), but the rest of this book is just not for me. I wanted to like it and did like Dunsany's "Book of Wonder" but I got bored with most of these stories way too easily and ended up skimming the last half of the book.
Nickmizer
Dunsany's writing is beautiful. This is a collection of short stories and vignettes tied together by a (roughly) shared world. Reading this and his other work, one could be forgiven for thinking that all of the future of fantastic literature is contained in miniature herein.
arg/machine
A fantasy classic from Lord Dunsany. In the public domain, with a free electronic copy available here.
Tone
I'm amazed that I'd never heard of this book before. Honestly, I'm amazed that this exists at all.
I listened to the libervox recording of this on my commute. It's very dense material and not suted to traffic so I'll try and give it a read sometime in the future.
Liam
This thing is lodged in my central nervous system. Imagination in the old goddamn Romantic sense, and none of this fancy; imagination to make your spine feel raw and your mouth dry. Worries about being over-influenced, but that's all.
Arwen
This was a weird book, full of myths and sorrow, regret and time. I can't say that I liked it but I will say that my mind is still poking at it. This book reminds me a cross between Genesis and a half remembered story-dream.
Chris
One of the only books that I have ever Lemmed - perhaps one day I shall return, but there is a lot of great literature out there, I just don't know whether this qualifies
Janelle
A great example of early (and very influential) fantasy, a collection of short meditative stories that revolve around the theme of gods, religion, mystery, and death.
Joseph
Dunsany is an incredible writer of this sort of fantasy and myth.
Christopher
Fantastic mythological stories.
None
Sep 18, 2013 None added it
Shelves: 2005
True
Chris Naylor
Chris Naylor marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • Mistress of Mistresses
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • The Green Pearl and Madouc (Lyonesse, #2-3)
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Voice of Our Shadow
  • Darker Than You Think
  • Viriconium
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon (The Conan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Broken Sword
  • Jurgen
  • The Compleat Enchanter
  • A Voyage to Arcturus
  • The House on the Borderland
  • What The Fox Learnt: Four Fables from Aesop
  • Gloriana
  • Hunted Down
Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist, notable for his work in fantasy published under the name Lord Dunsany. More than eighty books of his work were published, and his oeuvre includes hundreds of short stories, as well as successful plays, novels and essays. Born to one of the oldest titles in the Irish peerage, he lived much of his life...more
More about Lord Dunsany...
The King of Elfland's Daughter The Charwoman's Shadow The Gods of Pegana In the Land of Time: And Other Fantasy Tales The Book of Wonder

“For a while, O King, the gods had sought to solve the riddles of Time, for a while They made him Their slave, and Time smiled and obeyed his masters, for a while, O King, for a while. He that hath spared nothing hath not spared the gods, nor yet shall he spare thee.” 0 likes
“Then said Fate to Chance: "Let us play our old game again." And they played it again together, using the gods as pieces, as they had played it oft before. So that those things which have been shall all be again, and under the same bank in the same land a sudden glare of singlight on the same spring day shall bring the same daffodil to bloom once more and the same child shall pick it, and not regretted shall be the billion years that fell between. And the same old faces shall be seen again, yet not bereaved of their familiar haunts. And you and I shall in a garden meet again upon an afternoon in summer when the sun stands midway between his zenith and the sea, where we met oft before. For Fate and Chance play but one game together with every move the same, and they play it oft to while eternity away.” 0 likes