Start by marking “Arabs & Israel for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Arabs & Israel for Beginners

Arabs & Israel for Beginners (For Beginners)

The history of the Middle East goes back about 12,000 years, most of which was not marked by fighting between Arabs and Jews. Documenting the Middle East from ancient times to present, Arabs & Israel for Beginners is one of few books cover the issues of both Jews and Arabs objectively, insightfully and in an easy-to-read style. Some of the provocative issues and topics ...more
Published December 1st 1993 by Writers & Readers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Arabs & Israel for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arabs & Israel for Beginners

طارق (Tarek)
I remember first reading this book many many years ago. [return]After reading it I ended up taking several courses in Political Science and Middle East history at university, and have read all of the classic academic works from Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein to Edward Said, Israel Shahak, Charles Smith and Ilan Pappe. [return]I now know my Middle East history back and forth, and have spent years researching and reading on this topic. [return][return]This book is an absolutely excellent intr ...more
Lexi
Jun 12, 2011 Lexi rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read on the long history of the region and the myths that we perpetrate as "facts" about the conflicts. Biased, but who isn't after a deep study of the issue, toward a free secular Palestine and points out rightly the complicity of Britain, the US, and France in the subjugation of the Palestinian people for the last century or more. A must read!
Taco Papica
Aug 21, 2012 Taco Papica rated it it was amazing
Great and easy read. History has never been this interesting.
Thomas Ray
Mar 05, 2016 Thomas Ray rated it really liked it
Very readable account. Zionists are the bad guys. The state of Israel has no right to exist. Every bit of land was taken by murder and theft from the Palestinians who had been there for thousands of years. U.S. foreign policy has been captured by AIPAC, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The New York Times, CBS, all the major media, are controlled by Zionists, present a false, one-sided story.

Zionist Jews in the United States during WWII persuaded the U.S. government to refuse to acce
Miroku Nemeth
Jul 22, 2011 Miroku Nemeth rated it it was amazing
I originally read this back in the '90's. It was much more enjoyable, just as informative, and even less dated than say, Chomsky's "The Fateful Triangle". While it is sometimes irreverent, it is powerful. Wish it was in all American's libraries. It's a great start for insight. I would also highly recommend books like Edward Said's "A Question of Palestine", Ilan Pappe's "The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine", Max Blumenthal's "Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel", though, if one has a liki ...more
Grace Hogan
Jan 28, 2017 Grace Hogan rated it it was amazing
This was the first time I had ever encountered someone who DIDN'T say "the bible says that Israel is the promised land of the Jews, so it's theirs."-Living in the south tends to lead to one hearing simple, religiously biased arguments. I'm not surprised to find out the divinely inspired warriors turned out to be in the wrong (history is kind of my thing), I am also not surprised that after all this time, not many people aren't aware of the true history of the area. I think this book really is a ...more
Rhode
Sep 25, 2015 Rhode rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, middle-east
Such an incredibly useful book, complete with handy sidebars and illustrations. It's a quickly, remarkably easy read about fairly complex politics and history.

As a history buff, I know that many situations we all take for granted and perceived "facts" about the world are often either untrue or rooted in crazy-sauce. So, it's nice to find this matter of fact guide explaining the Middle East. It includes a lengthy bibliography so you can continue your research.

By the way, this is one of those book
Luis A R Branco
Aug 06, 2014 Luis A R Branco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lidos-em-2014
It is a wonderful book, very light for reading, but very profound in its content. I identified myself with the writer and changed my idea some years go. Hope that this book will help others to catch the reality as well. Highly recommended!
Jerry Huffman
Aug 29, 2009 Jerry Huffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more politically incorrect view of the arab-israeli conflict. Some interesting insights from more Arab perspective. Not sure how much these insights really influence the larger political and super-power issues in the Middle East.
Sham Al-Ghazali
Jul 13, 2013 Sham Al-Ghazali rated it it was ok
It was a comic. Never again.
Kelvin Ho
Sep 21, 2009 Kelvin Ho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A simple , easy to understand about the Israel-Palestine conflict. For curious beginners, it would be a good start.
Brent
Jun 03, 2012 Brent marked it as to-read
Shelves: history
I love Beginners books.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
This book was a real eye-opener! I've learned a lot about extremest religion and corruption... well worth reading, it will change the way you have been propagandised to feel....
Eric
Feb 06, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I never knew how little I knew about the Middle East until I read this book...I would HIGHLY recommend this to EVERYONE as an essential (and easy) read...
Zenpvnk
Zenpvnk rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2007
Sami Albanna
Sami Albanna rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Fernando
Fernando rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Mohannad
Mohannad rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Farrah
Farrah rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Mahmud
Mahmud rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2007
Cellophane Rex
Cellophane Rex rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Claire Strasbaugh
Claire Strasbaugh rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2008
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Theodora
Theodora rated it liked it
May 03, 2009
Arissteides
Arissteides rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Neni
Neni rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2007
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2010
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Farras Abdelnour
Farras Abdelnour rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • African History for Beginners