Start by marking “Coffee with Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Coffee with Oscar Wilde

Coffee with Oscar Wilde

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Oscar Wilde’s own grandson, with the help of actor and author Simon Callow—who has performed Wilde’s work on stage—capture the essence of this wittiest of all playwrights. Set in Paris, where he fled after the scandalous trial that revealed his homosexuality, Wilde chats about language, his mother (an esteemed Irish folklorist), transforming his life into a work of art (“M ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Duncan Baird

To ask other readers questions about Coffee with Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee with Oscar Wilde

Lisa
Aug 17, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
The concept of this book is really quite a good one: a fictionalized conversation between Oscar Wilde and a nameless persona, interwoven with biographical facts. And, taking into account that it was written by Oscar Wilde's only grandson, I felt that this book really had the potential to be an amazing piece of literature: a long overdue charming, warm, witty, and intimate conversation between grandfather and grandson, even if only imaginary.

But, the book really falls short: not once does Hollan
Jim
Jul 27, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
I enjoyed this very much. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
I like the conceit and it was just a lot of fun to take a few moments to reacquaint myself with his life in a new way.
I also like the size of the book. We need more pocket sized books with halfway decent sized print for those times we are languishing in line at the DMV or stuck forever at the post office. This one fits easily in a pocket.
He was hilarious and sad and profound and lived a hundred plus years too early
Tamara Mahadin
Jan 07, 2015 Tamara Mahadin rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The name of the book explains how a nameless person sits down with the imaginary Oscar Wilde. The person asks Oscar questions about his personal life and achievements.

"You can put a poet in prison and destroy his health, but you'll never destroy his need for poetry."
Masterrabbi
Dec 28, 2015 Masterrabbi rated it liked it
An intriguing concept that was a little short of an intimate conversation, but deeper than a biography.
Oceana2602
Oct 23, 2011 Oceana2602 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, 2011
A fictional conversation with Oscar Wilde, over coffee (which is always good) and a cigarette (not quite as good, but oh so understandable). Apart from the completely redundant note that the questions are written in "green" ink, and the answers in "blue" (thank you, I can read, I'm sure I could have figured that out. In fact, I'm not sure how I could have possibly missed that), this was quite entertaining.

I'm sure it would have been even more entertaining, were I more interested in Mr. Wilde. W
Jill
Apr 09, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
One of those "Coffee With..." series of books we promoted in 2007. I liked it because it was an interesting presentation of some of the aspects of Wilde's colorful life and works. He has always been an intriguing character, and was unfortunately born before society was ready for him. But I wonder if his works would have suffered if written now, by a man who was not a societal outrage.
Maddy
Sep 26, 2012 Maddy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little book. There were times when Mr.Wilde made me laugh out loud. I rather liked his style. I have yet to read any of his books before (and now I am surprised to realize this because it seems like I would have read his books before) but this made me want to read his work even more!
Richard Martin
Aug 23, 2013 Richard Martin rated it it was amazing
Great read for any Wilde aficionado. Contains a brief biography and informative introduction written by a grandson. Encountering many of his epigrams in the context of conversation is the book's highlight.
Rick
Apr 05, 2014 Rick rated it it was amazing
Morgan
Dec 05, 2009 Morgan rated it liked it
This was a cute little coffee table/bathroom book in which the author has a fictional conversation with Mr. Wilde. It was cute, informative and well written. I liked it.
Yanru
Aug 13, 2012 Yanru rated it liked it
"My great mistake was for too long i nurtured my body with a rich diet of sensuality and starved my soul of the simple fare it required."
Luis Tovar
Sep 21, 2012 Luis Tovar rated it liked it
A quick, witty, and delightful read. Yes, it is a small "over coffee" breezy read but it is a fun time that will be had.
The Dame Can Read
May 07, 2012 The Dame Can Read rated it it was amazing
I love meeting my favorite author through this book.

Stay tuned for my review.
Gloria DeWeese
May 09, 2012 Gloria DeWeese rated it it was amazing
entertaining! loved it!!
Jolien
Jolien rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Jonathan Megerian
Jonathan Megerian rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
Caitlin Etherton
Caitlin Etherton rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
PennyD
PennyD added it
Jun 06, 2016
Erinn Hill
Erinn Hill rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Michelle Dash
Michelle Dash marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Hayel Barakat
Hayel Barakat marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Suad Shamma
Suad Shamma is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Lidia Mascaró
Lidia Mascaró marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016