Coffee with Oscar Wilde

Coffee with Oscar Wilde

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Oscar Wilde’s own grandson, with the help of actor and author Simon Callow—who has performed Wilde’s work on stage—capture the essence of this wittiest of all playwrights. Set in Paris, where he fled after the scandalous trial that revealed his homosexuality, Wilde chats about language, his mother (an esteemed Irish folklorist), transforming his life into a work of art (“M...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Duncan Baird

lisa
The concept of this book is really quite a good one: a fictionalized conversation between Oscar Wilde and a nameless persona, interwoven with biographical facts. And, taking into account that it was written by Oscar Wilde's only grandson, I felt that this book really had the potential to be an amazing piece of literature: a long overdue charming, warm, witty, and intimate conversation between grandfather and grandson, even if only imaginary.

But, the book really falls short: not once does Hollan...more
Oceana2602
A fictional conversation with Oscar Wilde, over coffee (which is always good) and a cigarette (not quite as good, but oh so understandable). Apart from the completely redundant note that the questions are written in "green" ink, and the answers in "blue" (thank you, I can read, I'm sure I could have figured that out. In fact, I'm not sure how I could have possibly missed that), this was quite entertaining.

I'm sure it would have been even more entertaining, were I more interested in Mr. Wilde. W...more
Jill
Apr 09, 2009 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
One of those "Coffee With..." series of books we promoted in 2007. I liked it because it was an interesting presentation of some of the aspects of Wilde's colorful life and works. He has always been an intriguing character, and was unfortunately born before society was ready for him. But I wonder if his works would have suffered if written now, by a man who was not a societal outrage.
Maddy
I really enjoyed this little book. There were times when Mr.Wilde made me laugh out loud. I rather liked his style. I have yet to read any of his books before (and now I am surprised to realize this because it seems like I would have read his books before) but this made me want to read his work even more!
Richard Martin
Great read for any Wilde aficionado. Contains a brief biography and informative introduction written by a grandson. Encountering many of his epigrams in the context of conversation is the book's highlight.
Rick
Morgan
This was a cute little coffee table/bathroom book in which the author has a fictional conversation with Mr. Wilde. It was cute, informative and well written. I liked it.
Yanru
"My great mistake was for too long i nurtured my body with a rich diet of sensuality and starved my soul of the simple fare it required."
Luis Tovar
A quick, witty, and delightful read. Yes, it is a small "over coffee" breezy read but it is a fun time that will be had.
The Dame Can Read
I love meeting my favorite author through this book.

Stay tuned for my review.
Gloria DeWeese
entertaining! loved it!!
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Busra Aydin
Busra Aydin marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Bill
Bill added it
May 19, 2014
Anindita
Anindita marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Kay Honda
Kay Honda marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Dhruti Shah
Dhruti Shah marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Christopher Rushing
Christopher Rushing marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Oscar Wilde: A Life in Letters The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde Conversaciones Con Oscar Wilde Son of Oscar Wilde