Start by marking “Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems” as Want to Read:
Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems

Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Through vividly written case studies and a reader-friendly question-and-answer format, Mom, They’re Teasing Me is full of specific, how-to advice for parents to help their children navigate the sometimes harsh terrain of social life–which includes name-calling, after-school fights, esteem-crushing cliques, and malicious exclusion by the popular kids. Through thoughtful dis ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mom, They're Teasing Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom, They're Teasing Me

I like the authors' perspective in these issues. I guess the book is somewhat reassuring. My impression is that it is better at giving guidelines about when to vs. when not to get involved rather than what should be done. Some of the question/answer sections are valuable if your kid is having that particular problem. More valuable than the last book on the subject that I read...
Seems more useful for teachers than parents, also while he has measured counsel on a few points, his viewpoint is sort of negative, that kids are horrid and cruel. I think a more current book (post Wonder) would highlight the power parents, teachers and kids have to see beyond and be kinder and more inclusive. Maybe I am naive. I was looking for tips for my child who has a sometimes visible ailment that her classmates notice and found nothing of use for how she can better deal with questions com ...more
I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand the "big picture" surrounding bullying in schools and in society. Instead of consoling targets and punishing bullies, this book advocates preventive measures for bullies and the empowerment of targets. I am starting to see that regular, consistent training for members of any social group (such as an elementary school classroom) in positive social skills is a must. This book is going to become part of my permanent tool box.
This book was insightful in distinguishing between what is normal and abnormal in childhood social situations. It was helpful in illustrating many of the situations children experience in elementary, jr. high and high school. It also made me realize that often what we think might be a traumatizing situation for our child turns out to be not that bad. My only wish was that there was a little more advice on how to help children cope with the all too real pain of exclusion and teasing.
Excellent, helpful book. One of the things I find most challenging about being a parent are the social issues my child faces in interacting with other children. This book gives great advice for parents and educators in helping children through the ups and downs of social living without living their childhood for them (or imposing your own childhood woes on them).
This book was the most realistic representation of childhood I've ever read. But I felt that most of the advice was how to have a more accurate perception of what was going on in your child's life, not as much how to help him or her change what was going on for the better.
Interesting discussion of what is truly problematic and what is just "normal social pain".
Feb 03, 2013 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
A great book for teachers to read.
Pricilla Dickinson
Pricilla Dickinson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Mindy Danylak
Mindy Danylak marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Brett Miller
Brett Miller marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sara added it
May 11, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Rosebud marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Shauna Borger
Shauna Borger marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Marina Almendarez king
Marina Almendarez king marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Swamp Ophelia
Swamp Ophelia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Aloha marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Zoie TouchstoneZ
Zoie TouchstoneZ marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Aldene marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Irina is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2014
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

psychologist, school consultant and international speaker on the subjects of children, schools and parenting
More about Michael G. Thompson...
Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Understanding the Social Lives of Children It's a Boy! Understanding Your Son's Development from Birth to Age 18 Homesick and Happy: How Time Away from Parents Can Help a Child Grow Speaking of Boys: Answers to the Most-Asked Questions About Raising Sons The Pressured Child: Helping Your Child Find Success in School and Life