Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Shadows” as Want to Read:
Shadows
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Shadows

by
3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  9,827 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
They call it the Academy. A secluded, cliff-top mansion overlooking the rugged Pacific coast. A school for children gifted - or cursed - with extraordinary minds. Children soon to come under the influence of an intelligence even more brilliant than their own - and unspeakably evil. For within this mind a dark plan is taking form. A plan so horrifying, no one will believe i ...more
Audio CD
Published December 25th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1992)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Bettie☯


Description: They call it the Academy. A secluded, cliff-top mansion overlooking the rugged Pacific coast. A school for children gifted -- or cursed -- with extraordinary minds. Children soon to come under the influence of an intelligence even more brilliant than their own -- and unspeakably evil. For within this mind a dark plan is taking form. A plan so horrifying, no one will believe it. No one but the children. And for them it is already too late. Too late, unless one young student can resis
...more
Scarlet Cameo
La trama se desarrolla muy bien, fluye y no se hace pesada, sin que te tenga temblando de miedo logra adentrarte en esos pasillos, ese campo, ese tren, ese...mejor no hablar de eso. Los personajes, no diria que son entrañables en sí mismos, pero en su esencia, en lo que representan sí lo son, pasan a ser un elemento más en este mundo, pero ese mismo papel podría haberlo personificado alguien más.

Algo a destacar es que los niños tienen un caracter infantil, si vas a hacer una historia de terror c
...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
April 2011 Group Read in the John Saul LitGroup. I read this as a teenager and was excited to revisit the story :-)

I really liked this book - it still lives up to my brilliant memories :-) There is a scene early in the book when Josh is first arriving at the academy and sees this pristine fish tank. I love how this is a glimpse of things to come. I had to return my copy of the book to the library or I'd post the passage. I'm giving the book 5 stars. I did notice that there seemed to be more focu
...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 23, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadows was really thrilling and suspenseful, not to mention one of the most creative and original horror stories I've ever read! Though it gets a little choppy at times it was still really great.
Maria
Jan 21, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Тежка ми беше тази книга, най-вече заради замесените деца. Не че експериментите с живи хора са оправдани по какъвто и да било начин, но когато са с деца, ми свирят по най-тънката струна. Епизодите с родителите им ме разплакаха на няколко пъти. Усетих болката им много дълбоко.
Динамична и добре написана история, искаше ми се да не я оставям чак до самия край. И въпреки, че действието и краят донякъде бяха предсказуеми (малки забележки от страна на Джон Сол за създаване на подходящо настроение изда
...more
Ike
Jun 12, 2011 Ike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has single-handedly made me a Saul anti-fan.

I love suspense and horror stories. But something about this story just rubbed the wrong way. It may just be the trouble getting into an out of date technology-driven suspense. I also remember really disliking the prose, specifically the sentence fragment repetition used throughout.
Metodi Markov
May 16, 2017 Metodi Markov rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Джош е много умно дете. И знае, че след като е прескочил за втори път клас напред, ще има проблеми с новите си съученици. Възможността да постъпи в частно училище за надарени деца идва точно на време.

Но много добро не е на добро, казваме българите и Джош ще научи това по трудния начин.

По-ниската ми оценка е заради провлачения в началото стил и остарялата информация в книгата. За тези 25 години, светът в който живеем се е променил драстично.

Приятно е да се прочете, без да е нищо особено.
Chris Nortje
Oct 04, 2016 Chris Nortje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think Re-Animator, or wiring Frankenstein up to a Commodore 64 and bringing that bastard to life with a dial-up modem.

Classic 80's B-grade, right?

I think that is how you have to read this novel to enjoy it.

My seal of approval is the one thing I rarely bestow on novels that take me a week to complete. I have things to do and usually prefer those books I can finish over the weekend. Shadows took me a while to finish, but not because it's a very thick book. Firstly, I'm a chronic student -- still
...more
Megan
Sep 21, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great concept, unique book, but overall some aspects do not hold up well to time.

Without spoilers, this review is nothing, so I'll just say that it was well-written, naturally paced, and super unique.

The biggest thing that dates this book, however, is the talk of computers from the 1990s. It's hilarious to hear about C:/ command prompts, cable modems connecting a phone line to the internet, and "text boxes" and images forming on the screen. It is really funny, but takes me out of the story. I b
...more
Dana
Feb 04, 2012 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst translations I have ever read. Almost ruined the reading experience.
The book was filled with cringe-worthy cliches, but I could forgive it for trying to go into too many technical details for 1992.
Reinforces my opinion that Stephen King is The King.
Shawn Leslie Dixon
What a fantastically unnerving story, the best John Saul I've read yet.
The characters were sound, the descriptions were good, the imagination concerning the ability of computers was great considering the impossibilities of the future and the relentless killing typical of his work was awesome, as usual. You just never know who will make it, if anybody, with this guy.
The story moved at a quick pace and I tore through the entirety in only four or five sittings.
Quality shit for sure.
There is someth
...more
Tracy
Apr 11, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really short but interesting novel. It didn't quite end the way that I thought it would but that is not a bad thing. John Saul had me wondering and speculating until the end. An excellent story.
Tara Bush
The story was entertaining even though its computer plot was a little outdated. I liked that it's a creepy story that isn't bogged down in gore. The character development was pretty good, but it always seems to black and white when the "bad guys" don't have any redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Karina Halle
May 30, 2012 Karina Halle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Someone at my work is a horror fan - managed to snatch this and Clive Barker from the book bin in the lunch room :D
Talia
Apr 07, 2008 Talia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Talia by: My mom.
Shelves: favorites
This book is by far one of my favorite creepy books. Gave me nightmares for months after reading it and it's still one of my favorites that I return to.
Ken
Nov 13, 2011 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty average book. It felt really dated, published in 1992 when authors were excited about the possibilities of virtual reality and the endless opportunities offered by computers.
Tom
Nov 14, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a beautiful mansion on the grounds of an upscale California university, there exists a school known as The Academy. The Academy is a refuge for kids who far exceed their district school peers in intelligence. These kids are frustrated, bitter, mocked, and occasionally suicidal. At The Academy, they find themselves among friends, kids who are just like them: prodigies, the brightest of the brightest.

The Academy is also a place with some truly chilling secrets.

I read a John Saul novel last week
...more
Rissy
Aug 12, 2013 Rissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-saul
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Karen Field
This is the first audio book I've listened to. I thought I would have problems with my mind wandering, but the story was so intriguing that I found myself completely absorbed with what was happening.

In short, the story is about a school for genius children. It confronts the many problems these children experience on a daily basis, in normal life such as isolation, teasing, boredom, lack of friendship and suicide tendencies. Then it moves into life at the new school and shows the feeling of norma
...more
Laurie
Nov 04, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josh MacCallum is ten years old and having a hard time. He lives in a small California desert town with his single mother and baby sister, is a genius, and has just been skipped forward in school a second time, making him two years younger than his classmates. Friendless, he is bullied constantly. It’s no real surprise when, in a fit of anger, he cuts his wrists. His panicked mother agrees to look into The Academy, a school for gifted youngsters affiliated with a university. Despite her reservat ...more
Elusive Controversé
Nov 25, 2015 Elusive Controversé rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Shadows’, a school known as the Academy becomes the ideal solution to solve Josh’s problem of being intelligent beyond his years and getting bullied as well as ostracized by other kids for being different. The grand-looking Academy is targeted at gifted children and Josh fits in immediately. However, underneath its opulent appearance, something disturbing is happening at the Academy.

The story was engrossing from the very beginning as the prologue itself hinted at the impending doom. It provi
...more
Tommy Bones
The entire first half of this book was almost tedious for me to read. There's nothing suspenseful or thrilling about a gifted boy being picked on in school and being moved to a private academy. I almost didn't finish the book because of the lack of action. However, the second half proved to be more exciting. I rated it three stars because *light spoiler alert* of they way Josh realized what was happening around him. I find it quite far fetched that he would be able to sit and wonder what was hap ...more
Johnny Worthen
Feb 13, 2013 Johnny Worthen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Saul is a great writer. I hold him to high standards, no matter how old or new his books are. I've read many of his and finally got around to SHADOWS. I was not disappointed.

The book is a bit dated insofar as it deals with technology, but the chills are still coming. The characters are engaging and the story, like all his work, flows like blood through throbbing veins. As a parent of smart kids, the Academy struck me with particular impact; the idea of the best and brightest being used... N
...more
Peter Gorman II
This is the second John Saul book I have read, although I didn't know that at the time of purchase. That sort of speaks to something, doesn't it? Saul tells a good story in Shadows, (whose title needs work). I rated it a three because it's a little beginning, middle, end, and not much else. I liked it. Liked the idea, anyway. Even though it is a concept repeated through TV, movies, and other fictional works.

I have read many of the reviews below, and to be honest whole-heartedly disagree. Many s
...more
Iancu Alexandru
Mar 21, 2014 Iancu Alexandru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
Absolutely briliant,the first half of the book is very mysterious,it makes you wonder "what are they talking about,what's gonna happen?" after you learn and discover what is really happening (partially) you'll get that feeling of "I freakin hate you John Saul",the second half of the book is very animated,Josh finds out what is going on,without any help,and that makes him the smartest kid,smarter than Amy and Adam. In my vision Dr.Engersol is a very smart man but truly sick
...more
Esty
Feb 10, 2016 Esty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Rick
Aug 09, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another John Saul novel featuring young protagonists in peril. This one is set at 'The Academy', a school for gifted children. Not just gifted...geniuses. The type of child who never quite fits in at a regular school.

The Academy is a godsend, think the children and their beleaguered parents. Finally the students will be surrounded by other extremely intelligent kids...with a teachers who understand and challenge them.

But the old saying "be careful what you wish for" creeps into the first few pag
...more
Teresa Geraghty
May 31, 2012 Teresa Geraghty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than the information given in the blurb (which really intrigued me) , I had no idea what this book was going to be about. The reason I mention this is because, honestly speaking, if I had known what the actual plot was, I may not have given this book a chance at all as I would have seen it as more of a horror/sci-fi novel, which is not a genre I would have ever seen myself leaning towards.

HOWEVER, this book was a real page turner for me, as it leaks just enough information every so often t
...more
Jonathan Pongratz
3/5

The reasoning behind my rating is due to several things that irked me about this book.

For starters, this book starts off extremely slow paced and takes almost the entire first half of the book character building. I think Saul could've clearly eliminated 50-100 pages of the beginning to move the plot instead of boring us with backstories.

The other thing that really irked me was the head hopping. Head hopping is already an iffy thing in the realm of writing, but Saul will head hop within the s
...more
Renny
Nov 04, 2008 Renny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all starts with Josh McCallum a gifted child that has more than quite a few problems over the course of his life. The Academy, a clifftop mansion school for gifted children, is where the action starts to take place when the students begin to die mysterious deaths, and Josh McCallum, a brilliant but lonely boy, knows that someone or something evil is to blame.

-This is part of the prologue of the book that shows high importance to the story of the book.

"Shadows that surrounded Timmy, wrapping
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
  • Come Out Tonight
  • Houses Without Doors
  • Darkfall
  • The House
  • The Mask
  • Mine
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Shattered
  • The Key to Midnight
4387
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he
...more
More about John Saul...

Share This Book



“Indiferent ce mască își punea pe față, nu exista vreo cale de a cicatriza rana sângerândă din ea, nu exista vreo modalitate de a alina durerea care îi măcina sufletul.” 0 likes
“Ar fi trebuit să fiu altceva, ceva ce nu simte nici un fel de durere. La noapte, reflectă el, fremătând de anticipație, voi fugi de durere. Și nu mă voi mai întoarce niciodată.” 0 likes
More quotes…