A Tree for Emmy

A Tree for Emmy

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Emmy loves trees. She loves oak trees with acorns. She loves pine trees with cones, and willow trees with swishy branches. But best of all, Emmy loves the mimosa tree that grows in her grandmothers pasture. Emmy swings on its branches, plays with its fuzzy pink blossoms, and rattles its seedpods like maracas. But when Emmy decides she wants a mimosa tree of her own for her...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Tree for Emmy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tree for Emmy

Kristi Maurer
Erin
A sweet story about a young girl who loves the mimosa tree in her grandma's yard and aspires to have her own. The illustrations are lovely - very natural and also collage based with beautiful scraps of fabric for clothing etc.
Vera Godley
My thoughts: The book presents an interesting lesson about variety of trees. Note: it is not a tree book or a truly instructional book about trees, leaves, seeds, etc. The story revolves around Emmy, a little girl full of energy and who her grandmother describes as stubborn and wild. Grandmother also describes the Mimosa tree as stubborn and wild. Describing a will-growing tree that is hard to get rid of is one thing. To describe a child as stubborn and wild and consider it a positive trait is h...more
Candice
Jun 16, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
I checked out a bunch of books today and decided to read this one first because the little girl on the cover looks like I think Sophie will look in a few years. Then when I saw that Emmy's grandma described her as "stubborn and strong and a little bit wild" I was even more sure this little girl resembles Sophie. Emmy loves her grandma's mimosa tree. She likes to swing from its branches, play with its fuzzy pink flowers, and shake its seed pods like maracas. For her birthday, she wants a mimosa t...more
Jayna
Ages 3 and up

Emmy loves the Mimosa Tree in her grandma's yard because it is wild and stubborn just like her. For her birthday Emmy decides that she wants a Mimosa tree, but because Mimosa trees are wild you cannot buy them in a plant nursery. Emmy is very upset so her parents take her to her grandma's house to see her Mimosa tree. There Emmy discovers that there is a tiny Mimosa tree growing and her parents and grandma help her dig it up and plant it in her yard.

This book talks a lot about dif...more
Kate
I felt a personal connection with this book, having grown up in the South with a love of my own grandmother's mimosa trees! We even moved some dirt from her land to our backyard and a mimosa tree sprouted forth when I was a kid. I fought to keep that tree from getting pulled up, and my parents still have it in their yard today, though it's getting old. And now my daughter loves her grandmother's mimosa tree! Such a sweet story and the illustrations were unique and rounded out the story well!
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun little story about a little girl who adores her Gramma's mimosa tree and wanted one to plant outside her window. It shows how even plants that are considered weeds and nuisances by many can be loved by others. The illustrations were sweet and the mixed media collage is creative. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Heidi
Cute, but still only so-so. I like trees, too, and I like that Emmy loved trees and had an especial favorite. But something just didn't sit that well with me with this book. I'm sure others will enjoy it. Perhaps better as a lap-read. (And maybe I'm not liking it so much right now because I really need some storytime books!)
Vanessa Peavy
Girls love many things and one thing that Emmy loves is trees... but one in particular. This is such a cute story. I love the fact that Emmy, wanted nothing materialistic, she wanted something that meant something dear to her. I would use this lesson for learning about trees.

Grade 1-2
Gabrielle
I love this story. A young girl fallsin love with a wild tree and asks for one of her own for her birthday.
I is a little longer than my usual story time books but it is so lovely I must try it out at witht prschool group.
Christine Turner
Emmy loves the mimosa tree in her grandmother's yard and asks for one for her birthday, only to find that stores do not sell wild trees.
www.hcpl.net

Delightful book that deals with life's disappointments and solutions.
Molly
A girl wants a tree that is actually a weed for her birthday and they have trouble finding it. It is a cute story and all is great. Ages 4+
Rachael
Great book. One of my favorites. Great illustrations. Intriguing story. Students thoroughly enjoyed it. Based in the south.
Kim Stroberg
I have used this book for art lessons on trees. Very cute story and one smaller children could identify with.
Boni
A simple, sweet story- I love the illustrations.
Chloecat
Cute. I liked the pictures in it.
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Tesha
Tesha marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary Ann Rodman, a former school media specialist and university librarian, is the author of First Grade Stinks!, Yankee Girl, and My Best Friend. She has received both the Ezra Jack Keats Award for Outstanding New Picture Book Writer and the Charlotte Zolotow Award. Rodman holds a Masters of Library and Information Science from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and an MFA in Writing for Child...more
More about Mary Ann Rodman...
Yankee Girl Jimmy's Stars First Grade Stinks! Surprise Soup My Best Friend