Start by marking “What a Way to Go: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A gruesomely, hilarious and fascinating pop-history account of methods of execution from around the world and through the ages

In this wickedly humorous book, Geoffrey Abbott describes the effectiveness of instruments of torture and reveals the macabre origins of familiar phrases such as 'gone west'or 'drawn a blank'. Covering everything from the preparation of the victim t...more
Published April 17th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about What a Way to Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Way to Go

Jennie
Jun 12, 2007 Jennie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Goth kids, history nerds
Sometimes I think that not everyone shares my macabre sense of humor, and then I feel slightly bad about laughing out loud while reading books like this in public. In my defense, this book is written in a darkly humorous tone, so it's hard not to laugh.

Execution: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death, by Geoffrey Abbott, is broken into 70 small sections, each with a different method of execution. Abbott describes each m...more
Wendy
I can't exactly say I'm really reading this...I can only get so far, then I stop.

I got this for my history-teacher husband, who sprinkles things like this into historical context throughout the school year (they are sophomores, I might add, not elementary age!!)

The things man has devised to hurt, torture and kill mankind leaves me with no doubt that there is a certain level of hell reserved for them after they die.

*** NOTE: this author has 26 works listed, and EVERY SINGLE one is about death a...more
Keith
There were many parts of this book that were fascinating, unfortunately there were also many segments that went on for way too long. For example, they might spend 30-50 pages describing the guillotine and giving examples of when it was used, and then spend only a paragraph on some really interesting form of execution. Part of this is because more is known about forms of death like the guillotine and hanging than some of the more interesting ones, but that just means the book should be shorter. S...more
Shanna
Nov 17, 2007 Shanna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Macabre
I cannot believe some of the ways in which society has chosen to dispatch its unwanted members. This book is an incredibly well researched, albiet disturbing list of the many methods of torture and execution used all over the globe.

So far, it is proving to be an excellent read, but I can really only read portions every once in awhile-it's not really the book that I can imagine tearing through in one sitting...
P.
Apr 02, 2008 P. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Macabre teens/Goths?/History fans
66 awful ways people were executed. It is appallingly graphic. The author was a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London and lived with his wife on the grounds. His is a very chatty, informal style and he includes personal opinions and jocular remarks in the work. He does a nice job of estimating how many miscreants were burnt alive, guillotined, etc.
Diana
An encyclopedic look at the various ways that people have been executed throughout history.

I've always been a little bit morbid, so this was right up my alley. I enjoyed it for the most part, although it does get a little dry with certain entries, as the first-hand accounts get a little boring at times.
Marisa
Fun, little read that runs the gamut and really covers alot of truly horrible ways to die as well as some high points(?) during the type of execution. This book provides a wealth of information, background and brings love some of the people that either lived or died by the methods covered
Bess and Morgan The Bookends
People are horrific, and this book covers as many of the, sometimes strange, execution styles as possible.
Trigger warning- people are awful. Read the rest of our review here, but with caution!
For anyone who's ever been fascinated with or mildly amused by the various and real historical methods by which people met their ends. The chapters are short. It's a dip-able book. Much easier to digest than that horrible "1000 Ways To Die" television program!
Jennifer Patrick
I am so deranged! I was fascinated by the more obscure means of execution such as being sewn up in a donkey corpse and left in the sun to rot. The human mind apparently has no limit to the creativity of killing one and other.
Jeni
Jul 31, 2010 Jeni added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs & fans of the macabre
It was really interesting. I love reading/learning about different historical eras. It was interesting to finally understand the punishments I have so often read about.
Ian Mathers
Overly dry at times, overly repetitive at others, and sometimes he forgets to explain things I'd really love him to explain, but still interesting reading.
Tim Knight
A truly enlightening book on how we've managed to kill off undesirables in our societies. In a macabre way, an enjoyable book.
Becky
Not as interesting as I had hoped. Too much detail on the things we've heard about, and not enough on the lesser-known ones.
Mike
Super entertaining and quite informative! "Essential reading for all gore junkies" pretty much says it all.
Tom
Light reading. Proves the point that we aren't as civilized as we like to claim.
Dec 28, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Just got this for Christmas...sort of an inside-family-joke thing.
Margaret
This book was weird, creepy, and hilarious. Check it out.
Tracy
Tracy added it
Oct 16, 2014
Alister
Alister marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sera
Sera marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Vinny
Vinny added it
Sep 20, 2014
Bailey
Bailey is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Deborah
Deborah is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Geoffrey Abbott served for many years as a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London. Author of nineteen books and contributor to the Encyclopaedia Britannica/, he has made numerous television appearances. He lives in London.
More about Geoffrey Abbott...
The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold Rack, Rope and Red-Hot Pincers: A History of Torture and Its Instruments The Book of Execution: An Encyclopedia of Methods of Judicial Execution Execution Amazing True Stories Of Execution Blunders