Start by marking “The Journeys of Socrates” as Want to Read:
The Journeys of Socrates

The Journeys of Socrates

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  1,986 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
In nineteenth-century Tsarist Russia an orphaned child born of Jewish and Cossack blood grows up in a land of wealthy aristocrats, struggling peasants, and growing discontent. Sent to an elite military academy at the tender age of four, Sergei Ivanov (Socrates) comes of age training to protect a way of life he doesn't understand. When a sudden death forces Sergei to flee, ...more
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Journeys of Socrates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journeys of Socrates

Alexander Murphy
May 24, 2012 Alexander Murphy rated it liked it
"In truth, Socrates, you have no opponents but yourself.
Make peace within, and there will be no one who can overcome you.
And no one you will wish to overcome." I just finished reading Journeys of Socrates, which was a fantastic and exciting book. Recommended to me by a good friend who also enjoying the book thoroughly, it's a historical story of latter Czarist Russia involving the Cossacks, the Jews, and the intense military procedures as it was in that time. It's a certain type of book that sta
Gatlianne Gatlianne
May 19, 2010 Gatlianne Gatlianne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Absolutely Everyone
Having read "Way of a Peaceful Warrior" years ago, I quickly bought "The Journeys of Socrates" but it sat on the shelf unread. The Universe has a way of working things out so recently I noticed the book in a box of books still packed from a move. I decided it was time to read.

The Universe was correct.

Though I had trouble getting into the beginning of the book, things turned around and soon I was drawn into the journey. The beginning tells the history of Socrates and at first I didn't see the rel
JC
Jul 05, 2008 JC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My students
Recommended to JC by: William Parkinson / the Universe
Just when I didn't think Millman could surpass his first book, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, the book that truly changed my life and outlook on the universe. This book tells the journey of his enigmatic mentor, Socrates; from his humble and tragic beginnings to his enlightened training. How was this amazing master formed? The book is based in the Ukraine region of Russia, with Sergei "Socrates" Ivanov being cast as a half Cossack/half Jew (quite the explosive combination, as you can imagine), ...more
Bogdan
Sep 23, 2012 Bogdan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a breathtaking book. If you have ever come across some of Dan Milman's books your mind will be blown away. It is by far the greatest breakthrough of understanding something I cannot even shape at the moment. I am happy that the world has such a person as Dan. Thank you for your great masterpiece.
Adrian Fridge
Part truth, part fiction--The Journeys of Socrates is the retelling of the author's great-grandfather's legacy, taken from first-hand accounts and peppered with artistic license. In this journey, we're taken through the hardship and heartache of chosenallegiances, conditional love, and dutiful vengeance, all wrapped in deep philosophical insight. This is not an easy read, but it's surely very satisfying.

Set in anti-semitic Russia, Sergei Ivanov, also known as Socrates, is a man with a conflictin
Holden Guillies
Nov 01, 2013 Holden Guillies rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. "The Journey of Socrates" followed a young boy, Sergei Ivanov, all the way into his adulthood. Sergei spent his childhood in a military academy In Russia during the late 19th century. Sergei was a jewish boy and he learned of the pogroms in Russia when he was in his early teens. Put in a tough spot, Sergei had to choose between the military academy where his uncle, his only family left, was the instructor, or he could pave the way for his own life. Sergei chose to crea ...more
Jason
Nov 07, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing
This book is Dan Millman's third in the Peaceful Warrior Saga. I didn't know quite what to expect but had heard this book changed course from his previous writings. This is true because this book is more of a narrative as opposed to the other Peaceful books which tend to be a little more instructional.

The Journeys of Socrates is about the early life of Millman's guru, Socrates. It starts off with recounting his early boyhood in a Russian military school. Orphaned and distraught at having to sta
Leanna Manuel
Apr 21, 2013 Leanna Manuel rated it it was amazing
This book is a prequel of sorts to the Peaceful Warrior books. I was quite excited when this new book was announced and I certainly wasn’t disappointed once it arrived. Beyond his exceptional ability as a storyteller, Dan Millman succinctly captures the essence of our modern yearnings for lives that make sense, sanity, and warriorship.

The book is set in Tsarist Russia and follows the life of Sergei Ivanov from early childhood through his adult years. He is the one who is called Socrates in the o
Wellington
Jan 15, 2008 Wellington rated it it was amazing
My Sensei gave me homework for class to read a book “The Peaceful Warrior” of a college graduate who befriended a white hair sage working as a gas attendant. Though he was first irritated by him, he returned, became friends, and found the peaceful warrior within himself.

This is a story of Socrates, that white haired sage, who lived in Russia. His mother died and he was shipped to a military academy to become a Cossack. Trouble was he didn’t know he had Jewish blood in him and instead of becoming
Annie
Apr 26, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
It is pure wonder that the human heart can not only survive but presevere over severe tragedy and loss. In this final installment of the Peaceful Warrior series we learn about the man called Socrates and his life of extreme heartache and loss. However, through it all he blossoms in to a being more disciplined and amazing than most. Rising above and conquering himself he becomes the Socrates we know and love from the Way of the Peaceful Warrior. If you have not read this series you must. It will ...more
Faith Tydings
Sep 01, 2016 Faith Tydings rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Very dark in places but when it was all over, it was amazing how everything was interwoven and connected. I'm excited to read the rest of the books in the series.
Kaoutar Aannaque
Sep 23, 2016 Kaoutar Aannaque rated it really liked it
It is amways a pleasure reading Dan Millman's books. I always feel that his books speak to me and I am caught on a rollercoaster of emotions every time I read one of his books.
Really, the serie is life changing. I've read "the way of the peaceful warrior", "the sacred journey of the peaceful warrior" and now this one, and they all helped me see what's going wrong in my life, not in a depressive desperate way but in a very motivational way that stimulated my urge to change my lifestyle.
What is
Julie
Dec 02, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
I was catapulted into the heart of a man's search for revenge, and almost taking on his feelings myself. Through his journey I felt as if I were there, beside him, and as "we" continued toward our goal of revenge, my heart lightened and my soul filled with love and forgiveness. I read this book while going through an intense recovery phase in my life and for the first time in years, I regained my faith in God and KNEW the meaning of forgiveness. Amazing, simply amazing.
Adan
Sep 24, 2015 Adan rated it it was amazing
A journey into the making of a sage.

In the late 1800's a young boy named Sergei is accepted into an elite military academy. Growing into an adult, Sergei will discover true love and pure hatred that ultimately leads to shocking act of violence. Lost and without direction in life, Sergei meets an unlikely master of combat who agrees to teach him under one unusual condition: To become a master of fighting, you must first understand the power of love...

Inspired by a true story, this prequel to the
Rhiannon
Jun 23, 2011 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
This book is the most powerful, compelleing and insperational jounery that you as a reader will ever go on full of hope loss and guidence you will read this book and never want to put it down untill you get to the end. the end of this book is just mind blowing I recomend everyone to read this book as it sets the bar high for novels from this genre.
Heather
Jan 08, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the Peaceful Warrior books.
Recommended to Heather by: My boyfriend's mother
If you really want to see someone overcome major suffering, this is the book for you. Everything that can possibly go wrong in his life does. However, this man turns out to use everything he learned from tragedy and taught others with it. This is based upon journals by Dan Millman's teacher Socrates of Way of the Peaceful Warrior fame.
Wendy
Dec 10, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If asked to rate this book at the half way mark I would have given it 3 stars. Honestly, it was a little slow in parts. But ..... the END - wow - I didn't see that coming and it struck a deep cord with me. What a beautiful story!

You have to read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior first, or it won't have the same impact.

Lauky
Feb 27, 2013 Lauky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peaceful-warrior
"Expect nothing, Be Ready for Everything", based on this key philosophy, This books journeys us from happiness to great sorrow and back, without bringing these feelings in our psyche. Again in a life changing book, Dan Millman has provided us the insights to learn from within.
Suzy Atkin
Apr 01, 2010 Suzy Atkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is what I call a book! It has everything in it... Drama, war, romance, mystery...the list goes on. The 'Peaceful Warrior' books are a must read! This one is my favourite out of them all though.
Anirudh
Apr 24, 2008 Anirudh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that question and are curious of the life around us.
Recommended to Anirudh by: Alex Elkins
This is a wonderful book. Full of inspiration and joy the Journey of Socrates is simply compelling.
Carlos Martinez
May 27, 2016 Carlos Martinez rated it it was amazing
“master…Fear”

Before reading this book I had no idea two words separated by an ellipsis could almost effortlessly alter my outlook on a full day. I read it now and my posture straightens, my breathing aligns, my desire to do good in the world is rejuvenated. By mastering fear we become the master, and fear is no more. That's what this book taught me. Ever since I picked up The Journey of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives I've felt a deeply rooted respect and admiration for Socrates'
Deepak Chaudhary
Dec 14, 2011 Deepak Chaudhary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Conor Daly
Nov 08, 2011 Conor Daly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Never judge a book by its cover." A very famous quote that we all abide by, especially when reading books. i made the mistake of not paying attention to this and really did not want to read this book, because of the name Socrates in the title. My mom requested this book to me, and promised it was not about old roman and greek philosophy, but still i put it off for weeks. i finally decided i had to at least give it a try. i did, it is now my favorite book.
this book was written by Dan Millman
Bernie Gourley
Jul 24, 2015 Bernie Gourley rated it really liked it
Shelves: martial-arts
The Journeys of Socrates shines the spotlight on Dan Millman's mysterious teacher from The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. We discover that Socrates was born Sergei in Russia to a Cossack father and a Jewish mother.

His youth is scarred by tragedy. His mother died in labor with him and his father died of alcohol poisoning while Sergei was away at military school. His only remaining relative that we know of, his grandfather, dies. He flees the military academy to avoid having to harass Jews as a sol
PJ Swanwick
Mar 14, 2012 PJ Swanwick rated it liked it
Shelves: new-age, spiritual
Plot, not spirituality, drives Millman's third Peaceful Warrior novel

The first book in the Peaceful Warrior saga by Dan Millman, this 2005 novel brings into focus the forces that shaped Socrates, Millman's spiritual mentor. The story starts slow but builds to a satisfying climax. Although the spiritual content is not as compelling as Millman's previous two novels, the book is still a compelling, entertaining read.

This novel is more about the narrative than the spiritual journey compared to Millm
Melanie
Mar 27, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changers
This is another book that I've read many times and it never fails to inspire.

It tells the story of Socrates, the service station attendant in Way of the Peaceful Warrior from his childhood at a military academy in Russia to the time he left for the United States.

The book charts Socrates development from an angry youth, to a bitter man driven by guilt and a desire for vengeance until he eventually grows into the peaceful warrior. As Socrates is taught by a series of remarkable teachers, so we lea
Kim
May 04, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. If you loved "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" then you will love reading the prequel to it. "The Journey's of Socrates" takes the reader back to the childhood life of Sergie Ivanov (Socrates)orphaned and raised in a military school outside St. Petersburg Russia. There you relive the trials and tribulations of that early life. Friends and enemies are forged that last a lifetime and this book follows the life of the Sergie as he spends decades seeking revenge against a chil ...more
Anita
Jul 30, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing
A zen story of self-discovery through physical separation and union, mental lucidity and surrender, and emotional bondage and liberty. Great plot with rich thread weaves, told through unfolding transformation and metamorphosis: "In life, stress happens when you resist... No matter what comes your way, if you take a rigid position, you experience pain. Never oppose force with force. Instead, absorb it and use it... yielding can overcome even a superior force."
Island
Apr 26, 2014 Island rated it liked it
This is the first Millman book I read and due to a recommendation I'm afraid I expected too much. Frankly I expected more tears. Not that it's not a touching story. It is. But not more than any story of anybody who lost a loved one(s), embraced revenge and then found peace in leaving the path of revenge.
There is some revelation in this book, some thoughts very well expressed, messages that came through but this story could be written much better. It had its message for me but I wish that this m
Bryan
Jan 26, 2016 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable story! I was transfixed the whole time. Just as I was with the Way of the Peaceful Warrior. I could care less if the story is 100% true, because the philosophies and lessons are so organic and feel so right. That, and I was impressed with Dan Millman's storytelling skills. I highly recommend Dan Millman's work to anyone who has ever felt lost on their journey, which of course we all have. So I recommend it to everyone!
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Celestine Prophecy: A Pocket Guide to the Nine Insights
  • Journey Without Goal: The Tantric Wisdom of the Buddha
  • The Soul of the Indian
  • The Wind Is My Mother
  • Integral Life Practice: A 21st-Century Blueprint for Physical Health, Emotional Balance, Mental Clarity, and Spiritual Awakening
  • Big Mind Big Heart: Finding Your Way
  • The Way of Wyrd
  • Who Are We? (The Ringing Cedars of Russia, #5)
  • Essays in Zen Buddhism, First Series
  • The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life: Volume 2
  • Dark Nights of the Soul: A Guide to Finding Your Way Through Life's Ordeals
  • Running from Safety: An Adventure of the Spirit
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path
  • Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude: How to Find, Build and Keep a Yes! Attitude for a Lifetime of Success
  • Grandfather
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...

“Today is today. But there are many tomorrows...” 10 likes