Start by marking “The Ankle Grabber (Creepies)” as Want to Read:
The Ankle Grabber (Creepies)

The Ankle Grabber (Creepies)

There's all sorts of monsters in your room at night; even once Mum's checked, you can never be quite sure. It's still likely that the Ankle Grabber is hiding under the bed just waiting for the chance to pull you down into his sticky, slimy swamp.
Published October 1st 2007 by Mathew Price Ltd. (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Ankle Grabber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ankle Grabber

Stephen
Jun 29, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm digging way down into the nostalgia barrel with this one.

But ohmygod, this book.

One of the reviews on Amazon describes this as 'the worst thing you could possibly give to a child' and I agree wholeheartedly. You know how when adults say "this [book/film/TV series] will scare children" but don't really mean it? Yeah, this isn't one of those things. Rose Impey takes one of the most common childhood fears here and runs with it.

That said, were it not for the hideously creepy illustrations, the t
Kris
Nov 08, 2011 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ankle Grabber, which is one of Rose Impey’s Creepies’ series, is the agreeable story of a little girl with a vivid imagination that encounters various monsters in her room at night. As she prepares for bed, her mother checks her room for the usual culprits, who include The Flat Man and Jumble Joan. However, on this particular night there is only one nighttime dweller that weighs heavily on the mind of our little protagonist and that is The Ankle Grabber. This sinister fellow resides in the s ...more
Nicole
Jul 07, 2015 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book a negative amount of stars I would this book Literally mentally scarred me as a child. When I was in Kindergarten in 2000 my teacher decided it would be a great Idea to read her this horrible book to around 20 4-5 year olds and it was a decision that greatly impacted my life. After hearing this story I was so afraid of the dark and under my bed that could never have bare feet and made my dad check under my bed every night, and I still remember one night when my blanket ...more
Bree Bosse
Mar 21, 2010 Bree Bosse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this book when I was little and my mom used to read it to me before I went to bed because I was afraid of the dark. This could be a useful book to read to children who are scared of the dark or who are afraid of monsters. The little girl in the book is convinced that there is an "ankle grabber" that lives in a swamp underneath her bed but as the book goes on she learns that there is not and she overcomes her fears. I still have mixed feelings with this book however because even though it h ...more
Brittany
The Creepies series shines a light on those dark corners for every child who has wondered if there is something lurking there. Filled with illustrations that encourage a child's imagination, these unique, personal-sized books are sure to entertain even the most reluctant reader. Sometimes things are not what they seem, so bring a flashlight and dive into the scary world of Creepies.

This book would probably be too scary for some students because they still believe that there is something there wh
Nina
Feb 28, 2009 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-elementary
This would be a cute story to read to a child who was afraid of the dark. The little girl in the story is afraid of all sorts of monsters lurking around in the dark, but most of all she is afraid of the ankle grabber that lives in the swamp under her bed. When she has to pee one night she misses the bed and thinks the ankle grabber has got her, but its only her dad. He ends up scaring away the invented ankle grabber so the little girl can sleep.
Hilary
Sep 21, 2009 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are creepier than the text -- so adventurous children can enjoy a thrill without any scarier piece than the "jump" ending (you know, the ending that makes you jump!). Reads very well aloud. Good October fare for storytimes.
Chris
Mar 17, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a classic!

My irresponsible parents used to read this book to me when I was too young to know it was just a book!! For months afterwards I used to have to run and jump into bed!

A great book though, love the drawings
Krystle Devo
Jan 12, 2013 Krystle Devo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favs as a kid. I still own it and have read it to bothy niece and nephew and they enjoyed it as much as I did as a kid.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 4205 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Penny
Aug 08, 2011 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
cute childrens book. i got it used and it is pretty awesome.
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2014
Sarah-Jane Suddick
Sarah-Jane Suddick rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Amy Rivers
Amy Rivers rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
R.M.
R.M. rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2009
ian
ian rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Clay
Clay rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Jul 29, 2010 Nura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
nama-nama monster yang kreatif... :D
Rebecca Larkin
Rebecca Larkin rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
Rafael
Rafael rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Madeline
Madeline rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Samantha Whigham
Samantha Whigham rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2015
rebecca j
rebecca j rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2009
Sydney Byrne
Sydney Byrne rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Marg
Marg rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Bàrbara
Bàrbara rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
ROSE IMPEY was born, and grew up, in Northwich, Cheshire. When she first left school she worked in a bank, but soon realised that this was not for her; so she decided to go back to school and then went on to college, where she trained to be a teacher. She later taught in a Junior school in Leicester.

Rose has two grown-up daughters. While her children were small, Rose developed her interest in chil
More about Rose Impey...