Nothing That Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories of Patricia Highsmith

Nothing That Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories of Patricia Highsmith

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  31 reviews
With the appearance of Nothing That Meets the Eye, Highsmith establishes herself as a permanent member of the American literary canon.

THE PATRICIA HIGHSMITH RENAISSANCE, which began after her death in 1995, continues with Nothing That Meets the Eye, a brilliant collection of 28 psychologically penetrating short stories, a great majority of which have never been seen before...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 456 pages
Published October 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Nothing That Meets the Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing That Meets the Eye

Shane
I had mixed feelings while reading this book of mainly unpublished stories by the queen of the psychological thriller. I could understand why Highsmith, an author who focussed on her craft, would stow away some of these stories, particularly her earlier pieces, in a box, and never want them published. Many are either too long for what they deliver, or too contrived and drive only towards a tragic conclusion.

The book falls into two parts: The Early Stories (1938-1949) and The Middle and Later Sto...more
Beth
These short stories are the best I've read lately. Precise and pessimistic.
Anne
If you enjoy Highsmith, this is a delightful collection, although I found it difficult to read through a 400 page collection of short stories. At times Highsmith comes across as a very dark AR Gurney or John Cheever, chronicling the failures and struggles of the upper middle class. I found the final stories, the suicide group as I like to think of them, the most enjoyable, if that's the right word. Most of her characters are well drawn and even the seemingly small vignettes are trenchant portrai...more
Ak
May 19, 2007 Ak rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paul
Shelves: patricia
Best short stories written by a crime fiction writer ever....her insight into human psyche is highly notable
Robert Davies
I fell in love with this book before I'd even read it - it was an anniversary gift from me to my mother, one she never finished before her death; then I read the story of how Highsmith's manuscripts were discovered posthumously and hidden from repossession in a cardboard box. I'm glad to say that when I started reading, the stories inside it lived up to the ones surrounding it.

As always, some stand out above the others, but all are engaging, and most have a dark and uncomfortable edge that stays...more
Nancy
No idea what came over me. Generally don't read short stories, but Patricia Highsmith and a few select others are the exception.
Highsmith writes elegant short stories with great economy, but her characters live on the page and her plots are complicated. Most are psychological and her characters are desperate in one way or another. If you have always disliked short stories because you found them thin and the characters dull, Highsmith would change your mind. She did mine.
Michael Tucker
Subtitled The Uncollected Stories of Patricia Highsmith, the book comprises twenty-eight classic Highsmith tales. If you are familiar with The Talented Mr. Ripley, either the novel or the 1999 movie staring Matt Damon, then you know something about the talented Ms. Highsmith.

These stories span the writing career of the author from 1938 to 1982 and include many stories that were never previously published. The collection is divided into two parts in chronological order. Part I Early Stories consi...more
Núria
Éste ha sido mi segundo acercamiento a Patricia Highsmith; el primero fue ‘Pequeños cuentos misóginos’. ‘Una afición peligrosa’ recoge cuentos escritos por Highsmith entre 1952 y 1982, la mayoría de ellos inéditos hasta después de su muerte. Pero mientras que ‘Pequeños cuentos misóginos’ me pareció un libro brillante, redondo y perfecto, éste me ha parecido algo irregular: tiene unos cuentos muy buenos pero otros que sólo no están mal. Aunque lo curioso del caso es que los siete primeros cuentos...more
Monsieurvenus
Joder, cuánto he disfrutado de esto. Estoy convencida de que no todas las historias son de cinco estrellas, pero si estas son las historias rechazadas o no publicadas anteriormente... qué queréis que os diga: muero de ignominia. Algún día quiero escribir algo que se acerque a olerle a la Highsmith siquiera el dedo meñique descubierto por el tomate de un calcetín sudado.

Qué puta genia, la tipa.
Emily
Mar 18, 2008 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne Rice or Stephen King fans who REALLY want to be scared!
Shelves: booksofthepast
Patricia Highsmith is most known for her impeccably sinister "Ripley" novels, but this book is arguably just as worth reading. A collection of short stories, many previously unpublished, "Nothing That Meets the Eye" is as a canon subtly chilling. Highsmith cautiously engages her readers with likable, familiar characters whose experiences in her stories are unexpected but still somehow realistic.

A master of the psychological thriller- no cheesy slasher flick gore here- Highsmith makes you be afr...more
Sydney
A collection of short stories by an author I had never heard of before my father-in-law lent me this book. She was a prolific writer and apparent perfectionist. These stories were gathered after her death and had never been published before. She wrote several stories and novels that were made into films including including HItchcock's Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley. Her stories are described as psychological thrillers and I would agree that there is nearly constantly a feeling...more
Kyle Lai
Beautiful stories through a lens of clinical depression. Crime fiction paid the bills. This is where the heart is.
Coalbanks
Better as a short story writer than a novelist? Maybe. She had the ability to create very true characters, many of them too sensitive or too coarse or too neurotic to allow the reader to be too comfortable with them. Which prooves her ability to create characters. I prefer her short stories & non-Ripley tales to the Ripley series which I have read & enjoyed for the most part but which have too much of an Ian Fleming or William Buckley flavour for my tastes, too blase & easy going abo...more
Carrie
The book is divided into two parts: early writings and later writings. It was really interested to see Highsmith's style develop over the course of so many years. While there's a disturbing psychological element to all of her short stories, the later ones introduce a much darker side.

I'm a huge fan of the Tom Ripley series and felt like I could see Highsmith experimenting with ideas in short story form that would eventually be included in Ripley.
Right before I left the UC, I made a new book-friend, Kathy, who shares my fondness for Highsmith, and she gave me this volume. The collection is pretty amazing, as it has a bunch of stuff I'd never seen or heard of before, a lot of it weird in the Highsmithiest of ways. Violent, short, etc...I can't bear to put it up on one of our tall bookshelves, so it's still sitting out, which must mean I want to read it all over again sometime soon.
Alice
A new York times Notable Book.
Highsmeith is an intelligent.sophiticated writer ( the Mr. Ripley series) who knows how to tell an enthralling murder mystery - or psychological narratives as they are sometimes called. Good for those nights when you can't get to sleep.
Cher
These short stories are each profoundly different from one another, yet complete worlds unto themselves. I find her discipline within the short story format to be much greater than with her novels. At least half the stories in this large collection took my very breath away.
Tuck
highsmith is SO GOOD at psychological creepiness. so sure, here characters are not the atypical tough-guy noir. but whats creepy? they are just like you and me. sort of. if you would murder, lie, cheat for what you want.
Sheila
Finally a book I cannot put down. It is like watching Alfred Hitchcock or twilight zone episodes. Short stories by an author who wrote during the 40s-60s. A wonderful read.
Kevin
An excellent collection of short stories written by the author of the Ripley books. Some are funny, some intriguing and some downright evil and scary. A great read.
Sam
This posthumous collection of mostly unpublished stories is surprisingly good. Still, readers who aren't already fans should start with her novels.
Austen to Zafón
I love short stories and these are amazing. I would have been nervous being friends with Highsmith; she sees right into one's dark, seamy psyche.
Marcus with a C
Some of her short stories have an ending that doesn't mean anything or .... everything.
Bo Trapnell
Some pretty weird stories. Well-written but very unique
Brian
Nov 10, 2008 Brian marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-queue
Nothing That Meets the Eye by Patricia Highsmith (2006)
Lyn
Wonderful writer. Strange and engaging stories.
k
Loved some of these---she's good.
Amber
rocky / uneven, but so so good
Michael
An excellent collection.
  • Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delecacies, #2)
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • Stories from the Twilight Zone
  • The Talented Miss Highsmith: The Secret Life and Serious Art of Patricia Highsmith
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • Nightmares And Geezenstacks
  • The Mortgaged Heart: Selected Writings
  • Just an Ordinary Day: The Uncollected Stories
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • Daw 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • All the Stories of Muriel Spark
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Why the Devil Chose New England for His Work: Stories
  • The Stories of Paul Bowles
  • Horror: The 100 Best Books
  • I, etcetera
  • Dark Love
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist who is known mainly for her psychological crime thrillers which have led to more than two dozen film adaptations over the years.

She lived with her grandmother, mother and later step-father (her mother divorced her natural father six months before 'Patsy' was born and married Stanley Highsmith) in Fort Worth before moving with her parents to New York in...more
More about Patricia Highsmith...
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) Strangers on a Train The Price of Salt Ripley's Game (Ripley, #3) Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)

“Our actions and responsibilities are our own; what later returns to either haunt or applaud us is neither possible to predict nor always completely understandable.” 5 likes