Start by marking “A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors,  #3)
Preview

A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors #3)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  958 ratings  ·  53 reviews

In Book II, Tamras moved from her home into the lands beyond its border. In Book three, the stage widens further: she deals with the struggles of whole peoples. Caught up in intrigues that would once have been far above her, the heroine risks everything unless she can not only learn to swim in treacherous waters, but to master them. The heroine 's inner journey continues t

Published October 1st 2008 by Shield Maiden Press

To ask other readers questions about A Hero's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hero's Tale

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
42nd out of 1,085 books — 1,306 voters
The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. WilsonA Journey of the Heart by Catherine M. WilsonA Hero's Tale by Catherine M. WilsonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Lesbian Fantasy
3rd out of 117 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Crow
There are some stories that I never want to end and when they eventually do, as everything must, they haunt me for days afterward. By "haunt" I mean that I can't completely shake myself out of the world created by the author through her characters. Catherine Wilson's When Women Were Warriors is just such a story. In the case of this story, I don't want to shake off the magic woven by Ms. Wilson.

I don't know if I can call this a "review" exactly -- it is more a public appreciation for a fantastic
Bandit
Thus concludes the trilogy, some of the most unlikely reading for me, yet thoroughly enjoyable. Now that the romantic situation is sorted out, this book in particular permanently establishes the main character as a heroine via some seriously convoluted (so much so it has to be explained twice) warring and battling. As far as trilogies go, this one follows a perfect arc to an perfectly suitable ending. There is something very endearing and engaging about Wilson's Neolithic warriors and if fantasy ...more
Charles Ferguson
Please read my earlier two reviews for details of Books I and II of this trilogy.

In the final book of the trilogy Wilson completes the hero-journey of Tamras.

In book II, Tamras moved from her home into the lands beyond it's border. In book three, the stage widens further: she deals with the struggles of whole peoples.

Caught up in intrigues that would once have been far above her, the heroine risks everything unless she can not only to learn to swim in treacherous waters, but to master them.

The
Erin
The only thing I could find wrong with A Hero's Tale, book #3 in the When Women Were Warriors series was that it ended. This series is by far the best series I have ever read and know that it will be a classic. Catherine M. Wilson is an amazing storyteller and the story that she gives us in this series is exceptional. Each book carried with it multiple messages for the reader to take into her own life and A Hero's Tale does no less. In this book, Tamras takes that final step into womanhood and w ...more
Celine
For me this was the most emotional book of all three of them. Wilson can make you feel exactly what the protagonist is feeling - seriously. When Tamras felt betrayed I almost had to put the book down as I felt my own love had betrayed me. She has a clever way of wording things you know to be true, but when you read them she gives more meaning to it (fe: When Tamras understands love and lost for the first time really: " Love and Maara were one and the same. Love had become as mortal as she was.") ...more
Kelly
Jul 10, 2013 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelly by: Kindle
Shelves: my-favorites
Undoubtedly my favorite Trilogy I have ever read. The most perfect set of books. A hidden gem that I recommend to anyone.
Set in the British isle in the Bronze Age, narrator Tamras goes on an amazing and beautiful journey, that literally will make you never wish it'd end.
I love how this book is written, structured and how the characters subdue your heart.
Literally you will not put this book down.

The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1) by Catherine M. Wilson
The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1) by Catherine M. Wilson
Sandy
I enjoyed this final part of the trilogy but I also found it wanting a little. I know it's an epic hero story but things just fell into place a little too well at the end. I loved the part in the forest but it did seem like too many characters in the rest of the story went quietly into the night too easily (maybe there are sequels planned). And Tamras' wisdom felt a little forced towards the end too. Maara has lived a tough enough life that her wisdom feels real. Tamras seemed to have leadership ...more
Tara
Lise
What Catherine M. Wilson describes in "When Women Were Warriors" is a society that may or may not have existed. A matriarchal society is a society where women rule and inheritance goes through women. "A Hero's Tale" is supposed to be set in Great Britain ca. 1000 BCE (late Bronze Age). In fact a bronze knife holds a pivotal role in "A Hero's Tale".

For the average person (as we see with the forest people) tools and weapons would have been largely made of stone/flint (such as arrow heads and spear
Peg Hubbard
Book III in this "When Women Were Warriors" series is truly an epic hero's journey. From the storytelling in the first two books, I fully expected a good story and a satisfying ending to this saga. What Catherine Wilson gives us is a stronger story, big and broad in it's travels, and much more spectacular. We follow Tamras on her outer journey as a Warrior, but in this book, her inner journey as a Heroine matches it. She is faced with understanding not only what love is, but how personal love su ...more
Tula
It is not a traditional love story. Not because is not a woman-man love story but because is a human-nature love story. It is a traveler's story and an onion kind of story at that, stories within stories. Fun to read, sad to know it has to end. The protagonist's journey has more than one face. Her spiritual journey is the one that carries her far away and in which she almost loses herself.

What's the story about? A society of warriors built to protect peace lives at the edge of war. Alliances, a
Kaiti
I wish I could rate it higher than 5 stars because omg everything about that trilogy, and especially this last book, was absolutely wonderful.

It's really the first book I've read about lesbian relationships where the fact that they're two women falling in love is just accepted as normal and you never have to deal with the "omg they're gaaay!" it's really nice to be able to escape from the need for "realism" in books about queer relationships for a bit.
Rhonda
Perfect ending to Tamras' & Maara's journey. If you like historical fiction, romance & folklore, you must read this trilogy! I couldn't put them down even though I really didn't think I would like the first book initially. I have no idea why folks would read vampire love stories when there are books like this to read!!
Jenny
There were parts of this series that I really loved such as the little mini stories Tamras used to tell and I'm glad I read all three. However, I got sick of the romance in this book. I started to skip the romance/love scenes and felt myself wanting to read more of the adventure book.
Artemis
Words fail me now as I try to put forth how the words wielded by Ms. Catherine M. Wilson had touched my heart. I think I have always love books because I love the characters that demonstrate to us strength and selflessness and love and kindness through the words they say and the actions they choose. I love the plot that allow me to immerse myself completely in it, taking me along every crest and trough, sending me to the darkest abyss of despair only to resurrect the brightest hope again, from t ...more
P. Industry
This is a staggeringly good conclusion to a superb trilogy. The three parts of “When Women Were Warriors” are crafted to each work separately in chronicling a particular theme and narrative, while blending together overall to tell a seamless story of heroism and growth.

If the first book was about loneliness, and the second book was about the journey away from civilisation, then this third part is the story of Tamras' return, filled with the understandings the wilderness has gifted her. Themes an
Max Gardner
A fine conclusion to one of the best-written series I've lately had the pleasure of reading. The author claims it's a historical epic rather than a fantasy series, but it has all the elements of low fantasy and feminist fantasy. It's not as overtly fantastic as anything by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Jane Yolen or Mercedes Lackey, but the power of story and the mysteries of ancient magic are a constant force in the world.

Basic plot summary: Tamras is heir to a house of warriors in the bronze-age Brit
Voronwer
This is a book/series that I imagine I'm going to be rereading plenty of times in the future.

When I was a kid, I used to love Rosemary Sutcliff books. Each book drew me into the past, taking me into the footsteps of a young hero who got to prove himself. Her books always sucked me right into that world, making me feel apart of it and making me love its characters. Picking up When Women Were Warriors, this was exactly how I felt again.

This story falls more under fantasy than under history, but th
Cee Alegroso
This is a great conclusion to the trilogy. The series has captivated me so much, I can't believe it had to end. This is the first lesbian fiction I have read (unless you consider millenium trilogy by Larsson). From the start everyone knew Tamras and Maara belonged together and this relationship alone convinced me to finish the whole series.

The characters are barely stereotypical. I thought Maara was going to be the typical strong-teacher-love interest type who will always be out for rescue, but
Laz the Sailor
This is a strong finish to a delightful tale of a young woman growing into her power, with love, strength, and wisdom winning out over evil and ambition.

The 3 books must be read as a series. The writing is consistently elegant and eloquent. As the characters mature, they have deeper thoughts and broader perspectives. There is some mysticism, but no magic. Swords, but no sorcery.

Although there are one or two "bad guys", the plot is not simple, and there are some twists that were not surprising as
Lynnae Inama
Say it Ain't So

The end....I didn't want it to come. What a great trilogy. I have never read a warrior or lesbian book before. Boy am I glad I gave this series a chance. Great read, fantastic characters, and very imaginative. Please give this trough a try...you won't be able to put it down!
Ashley
I had a little bit of trouble with the beginning of this book but after I got past that, the story resumed, and I was just as enthralled as I was with the other two.
I enjoyed seeing other societies in the same world as Tamras's.
Jami Hart
Couldn't stop until I had read all 3 of the trilogy. The author has an amazing understanding of the human heart and the ability to convey it.
Avahra
Struggling through the 2nd book was worth this one
Victoria
Beautiful!
Paige
Jan 25, 2014 Paige rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
I am absolutely devastated that this series has to end. It was so well written and I love it so much. I couldn't put it down.
Darlene
Sep 27, 2011 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yvensong, Cheryl of CC NV, Kimberly
Recommended to Darlene by: I can't remember
I am sad to see this series end. But it was an appropriate ending, all plot-lines nicely tied up. The series takes the main character, Tamras, coming of age, through love and apprenticeship, to becoming a heroic leader. When I miss her enough I may just read this series again.

Loved the overall story. But felt it would have been better as one novel. I can't imagine putting months or years between books. As it was I had to remind myself who some of the characters reintroduced were. Still, loved t
Alexia
What is truly unique about this trilogy, that reads like one long book, is that it actually improves across the three books.

There were some bits that felt a bit draggy and self-indulgent, but the author needed to do that to balance all the things that were going come forth in the later part of the book.

Very cleverly woven characters and plot. Clearly the author spent a long time working out the details of this tale. A fitting end to a very deserving trilogy.
D.
This was a great ending for this trilogy. The drama was really good, you could feel emotions in this book. The suspense was so amazing that it was hard for me to let go of the book. The adventure was so fun with the travels and the unexpected things that happen to the main characters. The romance was good with great moments and scenes. The ending was not what I expected, but it was still good enough. This was a great series and I hope to read more like this one.
Renae
It was great. So fun to read. What more can I say about this series that I haven't said? This book was better than the 2nd, Journey of the Heart, or whatever its titled. I didn't memorize the title. I was busy reading.

It was simply fantastic. That's all.
If this isn't made into a movie then I will personally take a dump on Stephanie Meyer's doorstep as well as the doorsteps of every single person involved in the production of the Twilight movies.
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Broken Wings
  • Hidden Truths
  • Jericho
  • 96 Hours
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Weeping Walls
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • A Pirate's Heart

When Women Were Warriors (3 books)
  • The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1)
  • A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1) A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)

“Sometimes even now I entertain the hope that Love lives in the world independently of us, but when I am most courageous, I believe that love was born within the human heart, and that the survival of love in the world, as well as its ultimate triumph, is entirely our responsibility.” 1 likes