Start by marking “Asterix the Gladiator” as Want to Read:
Asterix the Gladiator

Asterix the Gladiator (Astérix #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  5,021 ratings  ·  67 reviews
When Cacofonix the bard is taken to Rome as a present for Julius Caesar, Asterix and Obelix set out to rescue him, sailing with master salesman Ekonomikrisis, the Phoenician merchant. How do our Gaulish friends come to end up training as gladiators? The next Games in the Circus Maximus are not quite what Caesar and the Roman public expect...
Published April 15th 2004 by Asterix (first published March 22nd 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix the Gladiator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix the Gladiator

Maria Carmo
Asterix and Obelix travel to Rome to save Cacofonix, who has been taken by the Romans to be fed to the Lions at the Roman Circus... After a long trip and a new encounter with the Pirates (for their misfortune) everything turns up well with a little help of the Magic Potion.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 19 May 2015.
I bought this back in1975 and I have read and reread it many times. It brings back very happy memories of my childhood when I would read this with my nephews whilst translating it into Polish as we went. I'm happy to say that I still found it funny on the latest rereading, and as always, I LOVE looking at the fantastic pictures by Uderzo.
Who else loves the bit where Asterix asks Obelix to knock on a door only to find he smashes it in because to Obelix the two things are one and the same?! Or whe
David Sarkies
Asterix takes his talent to the arena
19 June 2012

As a kid I would read and reread the Asterix (and Tintin) comics over and over again. My primary school library (and local council library) had quite a collection of both, and at least with regards to Asterix, between them had pretty much all of them (with Tintin I had to go and persuade my parents to purchase the ones that were not available, so with the exception of the first two, I had read all of the Tintin comics, and the Asterix comics that
Veni, vidi, et je n'en crois pas mes yeux!
Da zeigt sich der wahre Grund fürs Überleben des kleinen gallischen Dorfs: Sie halten zusammen. Und selbst der Barde, den sie am Ende immer gefesselt und geknebelt an den Baum hängen, um dann zu feiern, gehört dazu - keine Frage also, dass Astérix und Obélix direkt aufbrechen, um ihn von den römischen Entführern, die ihm die ihn den Löwen im Zirkus vorwerfen wollen (Tierquälerei!), zurückzuholen. Nach einem oder zwei Wildschweinen, natürlich.

Göttliche Pe
Krishna Kumar
In Book 4 of the Asterix series, Asterix and Obelix go to Rome! A Roman Prefect has a crazy idea — why not capture one of the indomitable Gaulish villagers and present them to Julius Caesar for use in the circus. So Cacofonix the bard is captured and taken to Rome. But Asterix and Obelix find out what happened and take a trip to rescue the bard. Along the way, we also get to see some Phoenicians, pirates and even an Egyptian who likes drawing on Roman pillars.

Once again, it is an adventure and w
As I continue with my rereading of this spectacular comic series, I stumble upon Asterix the Gladiator. I remember reading this one for the first time and laughing my ass off and I was extremely delighted that rereading it was just as much fun. I'm always pleasantly surprised and a little awed that this comic has the unique ability of being witty and so very hilarious even after all these years. And I find myself grasping the little historical references now more than the first time I read it. F ...more
Matthew Hunter
Goscinny reeled me in early again, this time by naming the prefect character Odius Asparagus. I love the playfulness of Obelix as he challenges Asterix in collecting the most helmets from the Roman soldiers they thump. His blowing up of doors every time he tries to knock is funny too. Asterix teaching his fellow gladiators to put down their weapons and play a childish game in the Circus isn't bad either.

That's what this series is - playful. The indomitable Gauls play with Roman legionaries, pira
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
This get more interesting! There is an interesting mix of Urban rome, mercantilism, and interesting Gaulish episodes in rome. Asterix and Obelix go to rome to rescue Cacofonix (the gaul who sings terribly, just like me :P). ON their adventures, they have to cross the seas. They meet pirates, Economikrisis (who transports them to Rome), their Gaulish migrant in Rome, a sauna (which they find very awkward). Altogether, it is a mess and it is interesting to read this.

The graphic is different from
Kutime mi amegas Asteriks. Ĉi-foje ne tiom. Kiom tio ŝuldiĝas al la rakonto mi ne scias; povas esti simple, ke la traduko ne tiom plaĉis al mi. Certe en ĝi estis kelkaj eraroj, ekzemple "Saluton, Cezaro, vin salutas la mortintoj", kio estas tute nelogika (la homoj salutantaj ne estis mortaj). "Mortontoj" estas la ĝusta vorto.

Aliaj tradukoj pensigas min, ke la tradukisto ne konas Asteriks, almenaŭ en ĝia originala versio. Obeliks plurfoje diras, ekzemple, "La romianoj estas stultaj". Pli ĝusta tr
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Storia semplice, lineare. Vecchiotta ma invecchiata bene. Bella.
i've outgrown comics but still I found this funny
Tim Roast
This is the fourth Asterix adventure. Odius Asparagus, the Prefect of Gaul, is going on leave to Rome and wants to take a present for Caesar. "I have a brilliant idea! Why not take Caesar one of the invincible Gauls?"

The least intimidating of the indomitable Gauls is Cacofonix the bard so he is the one kidnapped and taken to Rome. Asterix and Obelix are hot on their heels though to try and get their bard back. While in Rome they find out that Caesar wants to throw him to the lions at the next ga
Die Galliese prefek soek 'n unieke geskenk vir Julius Caesar en kry die bevlieging dat 'n ontembare Galliër net die ding is. Daarom word die dorpsanger ontvoer. Caesar het egter nie veel nut vir 'n swygende sanger nie en laat hom opsluit sodat hy vir die leeus gevoer kan word. Dit gee ons helde, Asterix en Obelix, genoeg tyd om hul vriend uit die kloue van die Romeine te verlos - solank hy net nie sing nie ...

Die avonture van Asterix is al meer as 40 jaar oud en steeds geliefd. Protea Boekhuis s
Vanja Antonijevic
This is the fourth, and probably the first excellent addition to the series. It has well developed plot and characters, and clever historic puns (ie. ironic exchanges between Brutus and Caesar).

This edition introduces the pirates (who will become a part of a running gag in the comic), as well as Geriatrix (the oldest man in the village), and Brutus.

It also feautures, according to Wiki, the first occurence of Obelix's helmet game where he competes with Asterix for who will collect the most Roma
5 * because as I read the book, I couldn't help rolling on the bean bag with laughter, with tears rolling down my cheeks!

Caesar's birthday is approaching and one imaginative Roman general wants to gift him something unusual. And what can be more unusual than a invincible Gaul. The Roman's manage to capture Cacophonix and take him to Rome. An insult is an insult and has to be avenged, even if it meant rescuing Cacophonix! Our favourite warriors set out to rescue Cacophonix, little knowing that Ca
This book had me in stiches when I was young, especially the bit in the pub with Obelix asking the guard where Cacofenix is. I now realise these books taught me more about the Romans than anything else! Pictures and colors remain excellent, and it stands up very well. Supior to Tintin in my opinion.
Read several Astérix comics when I was a kid. These are popular in France, and they were written by the same author who wrote the Petit Nicholas series.
Knut Sigurd
Første og andre møte med sjørøvararane, og det kan sjå ut til at han frå Arverne som rømte frå Lutetia i La serpe d'or har slått seg ned i Rom.
I laughed all through! Instantmix! Economicrisis! What hilarious names! What a hilarious story! I've got to hand it to the author. Excellent job!
Saint No Stopping Us

Five out of ten. CBR format.

The romans capture the Gauls village bard, Cacofonix, and plan to use him in the Circus. Only by becoming gladiators can Asterix and Obelix rescue him.

Edward Davies
Asterix and Obelix try to rescue Cacofonix from being fed to the lions in this witty and well illustrated addition to the series.
Denim Datta
very funny story. read this in school days first, in bengali. and discovered now that it doesn't loose a bit now.
Genevieve Austin
If you love historic fiction, this book is for you.
By far one of the funniest Asterix books.
Cacofonix gets kidnapped and it is such fun!
Voilà le quatrième tome des aventures d'Astérix et on a encore droit à une histoire de kidnapping. Trois des quatre premières histoire sont sur l'enlèvement d'un des membres du village. À la longue, ça devient redondant. Voilà pour le négatif.

Pour le positif, je peux dire qu'il y a quelques scènes qui sont très drôles. J'ai bien aimé dans l'école des gladiateurs et quand ils sot recherchés. C'est ce côté que j'aime des aventures d'Astérix.
Juan Escobar
Asterix y Obelix visitan la gran Roma. Y por cosas de sus locuras, terminan de gladiadores.
Even as a child the two panels wherein Caius Fatuous appears less fat bothered me. He's also unshaven and looks very unhappy, perhaps he lost weight from stress? But you saw him the night before and he's fine, and you see him a page or two on and he's fine, and it's as though Uderzo forgot how to do curved lines for two panels. Anyhow, this is classic Asterix and Obelix, complete with Caeser and Cacofonix.
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • Jesse James (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 4)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)