Start by marking “Asterix the Gladiator” as Want to Read:
Asterix the Gladiator

Asterix the Gladiator (Astérix #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,550 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
When Cacofonix the bard is taken to Rome as a present for Julius Caesar, Asterix and Obelix set out to rescue him, sailing with master salesman Ekonomikrisis, the Phoenician merchant. How do our Gaulish friends come to end up training as gladiators? The next Games in the Circus Maximus are not quite what Caesar and the Roman public expect...
Published April 15th 2004 by Asterix (first published March 22nd 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix the Gladiator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix the Gladiator

Ahmad Sharabiani
Astérix gladiateur = Asterix the gladiator (Asterix, #4), René Goscinny
عنوانها: آستریکس گلادیاتور؛ آستریکس و گلادیاتور
عنوان: ماجراهای آستریکس و ابیلیکس کتاب 04 - آستریکس گلادیاتور؛ نویسنده: رنه گوسینی؛ مترجم: مهدی شاه خلیلی؛ تهران، لک لک، 1382؛ از ماجراهای آستریکس و ابیلیکس کتاب 04؛ در 48 ص؛ مصور رنگی؛ گروه سنی ج د؛ شابک: 9646488544؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، کلام، 1385؛ شابک: 9646143725؛ در 46 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای فکاهی مصور از نویسندگان فرانسوی قرن 20
عنوان: آستریکس و گلادیاتور؛ مترجم: فریبرز افروزی؛ ته
Maria Carmo
May 19, 2015 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Asterix and Obelix travel to Rome to save Cacofonix, who has been taken by the Romans to be fed to the Lions at the Roman Circus... After a long trip and a new encounter with the Pirates (for their misfortune) everything turns up well with a little help of the Magic Potion.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 19 May 2015.
Anna
Aug 26, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laugh-out-loud
I bought this back in1975 and I have read and reread it many times. It brings back very happy memories of my childhood when I would read this with my nephews whilst translating it into Polish as we went. I'm happy to say that I still found it funny on the latest rereading, and as always, I LOVE looking at the fantastic pictures by Uderzo.
Who else loves the bit where Asterix asks Obelix to knock on a door only to find he smashes it in because to Obelix the two things are one and the same?! Or whe
David Sarkies
Mar 15, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Asterix takes his talent to the arena
19 June 2012

As a kid I would read and reread the Asterix (and Tintin) comics over and over again. My primary school library (and local council library) had quite a collection of both, and at least with regards to Asterix, between them had pretty much all of them (with Tintin I had to go and persuade my parents to purchase the ones that were not available, so with the exception of the first two, I had read all of the Tintin comics, and the Asterix comics that
Helmut
Nov 10, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Veni, vidi, et je n'en crois pas mes yeux!
Da zeigt sich der wahre Grund fürs Überleben des kleinen gallischen Dorfs: Sie halten zusammen. Und selbst der Barde, den sie am Ende immer gefesselt und geknebelt an den Baum hängen, um dann zu feiern, gehört dazu - keine Frage also, dass Astérix und Obélix direkt aufbrechen, um ihn von den römischen Entführern, die ihm die ihn den Löwen im Zirkus vorwerfen wollen (Tierquälerei!), zurückzuholen. Nach einem oder zwei Wildschweinen, natürlich.

Göttliche Pe
Rodolfo
Apr 30, 2016 Rodolfo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantástico..... es de lo mejor para descansar.....
Krishna Kumar
In Book 4 of the Asterix series, Asterix and Obelix go to Rome! A Roman Prefect has a crazy idea — why not capture one of the indomitable Gaulish villagers and present them to Julius Caesar for use in the circus. So Cacofonix the bard is captured and taken to Rome. But Asterix and Obelix find out what happened and take a trip to rescue the bard. Along the way, we also get to see some Phoenicians, pirates and even an Egyptian who likes drawing on Roman pillars.

Once again, it is an adventure and w
Marcos Kopschitz
Jul 06, 2016 Marcos Kopschitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Na quarta aventura de Asterix e Obelix eles acabam indo a Roma, então o centro do mundo. E claro, o livro faz a inevitável piada com “todos os caminhos levam a Roma”! Talvez por isso mesmo, é também a primeira vez em que Obelix diz o que depois viria a ser tornar seu famoso bordão, “Estes romanos são loucos!”.

César já aparecera antes, agora também Brutus, a quem os autores aplicam seu genial humor com uma situação criada para uma conhecida frase em latim! E também é a estreia dos piratas, com du
Mythili
Nov 16, 2014 Mythili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I continue with my rereading of this spectacular comic series, I stumble upon Asterix the Gladiator. I remember reading this one for the first time and laughing my ass off and I was extremely delighted that rereading it was just as much fun. I'm always pleasantly surprised and a little awed that this comic has the unique ability of being witty and so very hilarious even after all these years. And I find myself grasping the little historical references now more than the first time I read it. F ...more
Matthew Hunter
Goscinny reeled me in early again, this time by naming the prefect character Odius Asparagus. I love the playfulness of Obelix as he challenges Asterix in collecting the most helmets from the Roman soldiers they thump. His blowing up of doors every time he tries to knock is funny too. Asterix teaching his fellow gladiators to put down their weapons and play a childish game in the Circus isn't bad either.

That's what this series is - playful. The indomitable Gauls play with Roman legionaries, pira
Linda Hall
May 28, 2014 Linda Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Joseph R.
The village bard Cacofonix is captured by the Roman Prefect for Gaul. The prefect needs a unique present to offer in Rome to Caesar. Cacofonix's singing is indeed unique (happily so--he is quite terrible) and the villagers aren't so worried when he's disappeared. As soon as they discover he's been kidnapped by the Romans, they start a rescue mission. The mission will take Asterix and Obelix all the way to the Circus Maximus in Rome to save their fellow villager.

The story is the standard mix of p
Nikhil
Aug 13, 2015 Nikhil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
This get more interesting! There is an interesting mix of Urban rome, mercantilism, and interesting Gaulish episodes in rome. Asterix and Obelix go to rome to rescue Cacofonix (the gaul who sings terribly, just like me :P). ON their adventures, they have to cross the seas. They meet pirates, Economikrisis (who transports them to Rome), their Gaulish migrant in Rome, a sauna (which they find very awkward). Altogether, it is a mess and it is interesting to read this.

The graphic is different from
Tim Owen
Kutime mi amegas Asteriks. Ĉi-foje ne tiom. Kiom tio ŝuldiĝas al la rakonto mi ne scias; povas esti simple, ke la traduko ne tiom plaĉis al mi. Certe en ĝi estis kelkaj eraroj, ekzemple "Saluton, Cezaro, vin salutas la mortintoj", kio estas tute nelogika (la homoj salutantaj ne estis mortaj). "Mortontoj" estas la ĝusta vorto.

Aliaj tradukoj pensigas min, ke la tradukisto ne konas Asteriks, almenaŭ en ĝia originala versio. Obeliks plurfoje diras, ekzemple, "La romianoj estas stultaj". Pli ĝusta tr
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Storia semplice, lineare. Vecchiotta ma invecchiata bene. Bella.
Mansi
May 12, 2014 Mansi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-history
i've outgrown comics but still I found this funny
Tim Roast
Apr 01, 2014 Tim Roast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth Asterix adventure. Odius Asparagus, the Prefect of Gaul, is going on leave to Rome and wants to take a present for Caesar. "I have a brilliant idea! Why not take Caesar one of the invincible Gauls?"

The least intimidating of the indomitable Gauls is Cacofonix the bard so he is the one kidnapped and taken to Rome. Asterix and Obelix are hot on their heels though to try and get their bard back. While in Rome they find out that Caesar wants to throw him to the lions at the next ga
Coenraad
Jun 15, 2013 Coenraad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Galliese prefek soek 'n unieke geskenk vir Julius Caesar en kry die bevlieging dat 'n ontembare Galliër net die ding is. Daarom word die dorpsanger ontvoer. Caesar het egter nie veel nut vir 'n swygende sanger nie en laat hom opsluit sodat hy vir die leeus gevoer kan word. Dit gee ons helde, Asterix en Obelix, genoeg tyd om hul vriend uit die kloue van die Romeine te verlos - solank hy net nie sing nie ...

Die avonture van Asterix is al meer as 40 jaar oud en steeds geliefd. Protea Boekhuis s
Vanja Antonijevic
Jan 07, 2008 Vanja Antonijevic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth, and probably the first excellent addition to the series. It has well developed plot and characters, and clever historic puns (ie. ironic exchanges between Brutus and Caesar).

This edition introduces the pirates (who will become a part of a running gag in the comic), as well as Geriatrix (the oldest man in the village), and Brutus.

It also feautures, according to Wiki, the first occurence of Obelix's helmet game where he competes with Asterix for who will collect the most Roma
Manuel Chiofi
Jan 06, 2016 Manuel Chiofi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questa volta ad essere rapito è il bardo Assurancenturix. Ma Asterix e Obelix possono lasciarlo in pasto ai leoni del circo di Cesare? Certo che no. Dovranno scendere nell'arena del Colosseo di fronte a Cesare per riuscire a liberare l'amico scomparso.
Fino ad ora la più divertente delle avventure del duo gallico. Parte delle sequenze ambientate al Colosseo sono state poi riprese nel film di animazione "Asterix e la sorpresa di Cesare".
Rashmi
Jun 10, 2011 Rashmi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 * because as I read the book, I couldn't help rolling on the bean bag with laughter, with tears rolling down my cheeks!

Caesar's birthday is approaching and one imaginative Roman general wants to gift him something unusual. And what can be more unusual than a invincible Gaul. The Roman's manage to capture Cacophonix and take him to Rome. An insult is an insult and has to be avenged, even if it meant rescuing Cacophonix! Our favourite warriors set out to rescue Cacophonix, little knowing that Ca
Lizzy
This book had me in stiches when I was young, especially the bit in the pub with Obelix asking the guard where Cacofenix is. I now realise these books taught me more about the Romans than anything else! Pictures and colors remain excellent, and it stands up very well. Supior to Tintin in my opinion.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A politician is in the area and wants to take Caesar a present, so it's decided one of the 'inviincible' Gauls will be taken. They chose the bard. The village gets its revenge on the Roman camp, but the bard is already on his way to Rome.

Asterix and Obelix journey to Rome to save the bard. They are attacked by pirates, as usual. Meanwhile Caesar decides to throw the bard to the lions (even before he heard him sing.) Asterix and Obelix become gladiators. They get the gladiators to agree to stop f
Attila
Jun 18, 2015 Attila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Read several Astérix comics when I was a kid. These are popular in France, and they were written by the same author who wrote the Petit Nicholas series.
Knut Sigurd
Nov 22, 2015 Knut Sigurd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
Første og andre møte med sjørøvararane, og det kan sjå ut til at han frå Arverne som rømte frå Lutetia i La serpe d'or har slått seg ned i Rom.
Ojo
Jun 03, 2015 Ojo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed all through! Instantmix! Economicrisis! What hilarious names! What a hilarious story! I've got to hand it to the author. Excellent job!
Saint No Stopping Us

Five out of ten. CBR format.

The romans capture the Gauls village bard, Cacofonix, and plan to use him in the Circus. Only by becoming gladiators can Asterix and Obelix rescue him.

Edward Davies
Aug 17, 2015 Edward Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asterix and Obelix try to rescue Cacofonix from being fed to the lions in this witty and well illustrated addition to the series.
Jacob
Mar 03, 2016 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was about to people from the remaining part of Gaul who fights of bad guys. I think it was one of the better one in the series.
Denim Datta
very funny story. read this in school days first, in bengali. and discovered now that it doesn't loose a bit now.
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin, #15)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix #35)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)