Start by marking “A for Andromeda” as Want to Read:
A for Andromeda

A for Andromeda (Andromeda #1)

A new radio telescope picks up from the constellation of Andromeda a complex series of signals which prove to be a programme for a giant computer. After the computer is built it begins to relay information from Andromeda. Scientists find themselves possessing knowledge previously unknown to mankind, knowledge that could threaten the security of human life itself.
Published September 1st 2012 by Souvenir Press (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about A for Andromeda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A for Andromeda

Andrej Karpathy
Jan 26, 2014 Andrej Karpathy rated it did not like it
You know how Fred Hoyle's Black Cloud is a fantastic and interesting hard scifi book? This is nothing like that. It is a sloppy, boring, linear and shallow disaster that reeks of missed opportunities and dubious ideas about artificial intelligence and alien life.

I can't imagine a less exciting portrayal of receiving intelligible communication from a different galaxy. Any sciency details (which I've enjoyed the most in Black Cloud) and descriptions of the nature of the code or how it is decrypted
Sahishnu Majumdar
Aug 31, 2013 Sahishnu Majumdar rated it it was amazing
Expected STAR WARS and what I got was all about the evolution of Human Relations. Sir Fred Hoyle, through the charachters of the story, shows that nothing can be bigger or greater than the emotional bond between two individuals. That ultimately even machines evolve into humans by developing FEELINGS which are so very human. So may be our species is one of the most evolved living specimens in the universe and all Machines however technically advanced they may be - if they have to evolve into high ...more
Matthew
May 17, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
A for Andromeda is a now-lost television series from the fifties. It was re-made a few years in an interesting BBC adaptation, which, in spite of some pedestrian interims between scenes, managed to capture many of the interesting ideas of Fred Hoyle and John Elliot's work.

Briefly, the story involves a message from outer space, which is deciphered by a talented, but temperamental British scientist, Fleming. It provides them with the blueprint to build a computer and even an organic life-form (hum
Erik Graff
May 24, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF & Hoyle fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I learned about Fred Hoyle from reading George Gamow's work on cosmology as a kid and, being a science fiction fan, picked up those of Hoyle's books I'd find at used bookstores.

Hoyle is not a great writer, his prose being pedestrian and his characterizations weak. His books are more vehicles for his scientific speculations than works of literature.

Of the Hoyle novels I've read, A for Andromeda is one of the better ones. I have never seen the television serial.
Mihai
I found its Romanian translation at home, not knowing the background story and how it came to become a well known 60's S.F. tale. Fred Hoyle was a well known astronomer from Cambridge, enamored with the science fiction stories of his time. In this book - wrote after a BBC TV series partly lost now, the author brings forth some ideas well ahead of that time: computer programming, DNA, A.I., extraterrestrial contact. It all seems bland and simple today, but on those years, these ideas were still o ...more
Charles Harrison
May 26, 2015 Charles Harrison rated it liked it
This was a strange one. Picked up because I had been recommended a book with Andromeda in the name and couldn't remember which one! Genre wise this was a bit of a curveball as it can't decide which it is; sci fi or cold war thriller. The cold war style politics make it a slow start as the scene is set and make it hard going but in the end the sci fi wins out with the last couple of chapters leaving some wonderful moral questions as well as an exciting conclusion. As always with a book of this ag ...more
Radoslav
Feb 09, 2015 Radoslav rated it it was ok
The idea is fascinating and I was hooked by it even before I started reading. I am a slave to those mystery sci-fi plots and that is what kept me going thru the pages.

The writing leaves a lot to be desired though. The point of view is jumping from character to character or from place to place without any coherence or explanation. There is no peek inside the mind of the people nor the alien. Everything is happening so fast, as if the author is afraid readers will lose interest.

At the end I am l
Ian Duerden
Apr 16, 2016 Ian Duerden rated it really liked it
Suppose you wanted to inhabit another world but the cosmic distance rules out any possibility of crossing the immensity of space, in this case as far distant as a star in the constellation of Andromeda. In this book it is from there that a message is received, a message to intelligent minds, to build a machine. The second message is the programme. The outcome... The creation of a biological entity. Is it for good... or invasion by proxy. Hoyle as always is decades ahead of his times. The concept ...more
Josh
Apr 02, 2007 Josh rated it it was amazing
If you haven't fallen in love with Andromeda by the end of the book, you have no heart.
Eneya Vorodecky
I have been recommended many times this book.
However I am deeply disappointed by it.
Oh, yes, the idea is interesting and quite good.
But I hate how lazy the writing ended. We had this insane buildup about humanity, life, intelligence and dominance... and then... yeah, conveniently kill of the loose end, because why not pull some random action out of nowhere. Yeah... quelle original.

I also disagree mightily on the idea of intelligence and that every intelligent from will try to destroy other intel
yellowbird
Mar 02, 2009 yellowbird rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love vintage sci-fi, especially when the story is placed in some indefinite future, but has the poor humans using archaic, outdated technology (in this case computers that use punch cards{Kids, if you don't know what a computer punch card is, Google it}) to defeat their powerful alien enemies.
This is a good science fiction story, as it uses both technology and human nature to resolve a problem. The characters are believable (not too knowledgeable and not too stupid) and act like real people wo
Rob
Mar 22, 2011 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
David R.
Apr 20, 2015 David R. rated it really liked it
I last read this many, many years and even then that came decades after the book was released. It is a bit dated now (computer technology is many leaps more advanced) but the essential thrill of horror remains. It's amazing what can be done well with fewer than 200 pages!=
Dennis Maloney
Mar 29, 2014 Dennis Maloney rated it liked it
This book is essentially about the space recipe for making hot women in a laboratory. I read this as a teen ager when I thought science fiction meant the story was half true.
John

with John Elliot
Sedagive
Aug 01, 2014 Sedagive rated it liked it
SPOILER
They forgot to teach her how to swim? *book wall*
Julio
Mar 25, 2011 Julio rated it liked it
Shelves: cf, novela
Interesante, sin impresionar. La historia de un código recibido de una lejana estrella que permite la construcción de una compleja computadora, la cual a su vez empieza a generar instrucciones para crear… algo. Algo que aprende, tiene una forma humana y puede encerrar más amenazas que promesas. A veces, hay que desconfiar de los regalos demasiados buenos para ser ciertos. Una variante en CF del caballo de Troya, en la cual sin embargo la herramienta misma puede descubrirse reacciones insospechad ...more
Timothy Keable
Sep 06, 2015 Timothy Keable rated it liked it
A very different take on "Alien invasion".
Nicole
Oct 17, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hoyle was the astronomer who coined the appellation 'Big Bang'as a way to depict the dynamic origin of the universe.
In this story there is a message received from the Andromeda Nebula that decodes to give us the instructions to build the machines to receive messages more clearly. These instructions are how to build the machines to synthesize a life. Then another human in appearance that comes to be called Andromeda for the origin of the message.
Diana
Jan 15, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Макар и писана преди половин век, успява да поддържа напрежението и интереса и да не изглежда овехтяла откъм научната или техническата страна. Сполучлива е идеята с опита да бъдем завладени от чужд разум не чрез баналното му нашествие на Земята под различна форма, а чрез Троянски кон от ново поколение - мощен компютър и управлявано от него човешко същество, създадени по указания, разчетени в изпращани от Андромеда сигнали.
kat
Jan 02, 2013 kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Neat premise: a radio telescope picks up a signal from the stars, which turns out to be translatable as instructions for building a computer, as well as a program to run on it. The computer is, of course, an AI. Charming antiquated tech (punch cards!) and even some okay female characters (passes the Bechdel test).
Simon
Jul 28, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it
Great concept, engagingly written - all the more intriguing for being written in 1962 with the dated but familiar mannerisms and emotional style befitting the time. The breadth of events is rather rushed through in the 174 pages but it is pretty gripping stuff all the same.
Nathan
Feb 04, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it
This classic Sci-Fi has a historical (1960s) perspective. Remember when Sci-Fi was about human struggle to improve our species and reach out into the vast beyond? Much of Sci-Fi today ma be about man's fellow-destruction. see: 'curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal'
Craig
Aug 08, 2011 Craig rated it it was ok
Interesting science fiction, not so compelling storytelling. I coincidentally read it immediately after a reread of Contact, and it's surprising how similar the beginnings are - I think Contact takes the initial premise and develops it in a far more interesting way.
Jillian
Mar 19, 2008 Jillian rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Not sure why I enjoy old pulp sci-fi so much - it's full of obsolete science and misogynistic ideas. This book is not good at all, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Shane Sargent
Jan 27, 2014 Shane Sargent rated it liked it
A fine example of mid-century sci-fi, and a good read. Excepting, of course, the horrid, visually offensive typeface and paper in this particular edition.
Nikos Karagiannakis
Αν και έχει πολύ καλύτερη γραφή από το "Μαύρο σύνεννεφο", οι ήρωες παραμένουν διδιάστατοι. Παρ' όλα αυτά, η υποθέση είναι το δυνατό στοιχείο αυτού του βιβλίου.
Nad
Oct 05, 2014 Nad rated it really liked it
Really good book, light read all in all. Very interesting and well-written, would definitely recommend.
Bill
Oct 16, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A classic sci fi novel of alien invasion. I read many years ago and discovered again. Enjoyed both times.
sid
Sep 15, 2013 sid rated it really liked it
This was really enjoyable. Classic 1962 science fiction!
  • Braided World
  • Dark Matter
  • All Flesh is Grass
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • The Eighth Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Stories
  • The Gray Prince
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • A Pail of Air
  • Making History & Reality Dust (Xeelee Sequence, #6)
  • When Harlie Was One
  • Natural History
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Dare
  • Pandora's Brain
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • The Ganymede Club (Cold As Ice, #2)
  • Tumbler
199992
Professor Sir Fred Hoyle was one of the most distinguished, creative, and controversial scientists of the twentieth century. He was a Fellow of St John’s College (1939-1972, Honorary Fellow 1973-2001), was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1957, held the Plumian Chair of Astronomy and Experimental Philosophy (1958-1972), established the Institute of Theoretical Astronomy in Cambridge (now p ...more
More about Fred Hoyle...