Start by marking “Two by Duras” as Want to Read:

The slut of the Normandy Coast
The Atlantic man

and
An interview with Marguerite Duras by Ana Maria Moix --
An afterword by Alberto Manguel.
Published September 1st 1993 by Coach House Press

To ask other readers questions about Two by Duras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two by Duras

Misha
Mar 12, 2016 Misha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it, 2010, 2016
I find a one-sitting read to be good for my soul from time to time, as it was today when I picked up this very slender volume containing two short pieces by and an interview with Marguerite Duras. The two pieces are luminous, but the interview is the real gem. I love how her prose can be both spare and languorous at the same time. But I also love that her stories are deeply personal. They're not just stories she tells -- they belong to her utterly. I love this because that's the kind of writer I ...more
M.
Oct 20, 2014 M. rated it it was amazing
Second Reading, 6/12/14:
After watching Breillat's Anatomy of Hell last night, I was in the mood for specifically this period of Duras, but I've re-read Malady of Death like six times already this year so I thought I'd dip back into this. It seems fractured, perhaps, but still pretty ideal. These short novels carry such enigmatic energy. Structurally I'm not even sure how they work, but they do. Both remain masterpieces, and the 'interview' is fantastic.

First reading:
Two very short, minimal works
K.
Jun 30, 2012 K. rated it really liked it
'They say it isn't true, but it is true. But misogyny is good, a positive thing for women. Yes, certainly, misogyny hides an indifference that is positive for us. It allows us to remain on the margins, to not take part in the game of the male, a game of power. For years now all male discourse has been one same discourse, repeated, repetitive, very much codified, saying one same thing. The only imaginative discourse today is the discourse of women.'
Samb Hicks
May 04, 2016 Samb Hicks rated it it was amazing
The second in my consumption of Duras. "The Slut of the Normandy Coast" was quite entertaining and felt like a glimpse into the author's real life (though certainly shouldn't be taken at that face value). "The Atlantic Man" killed me. Yes, it just carved out a chunk and inserted itself into my core. It was at this point I realized I adore her style. I could compare it to others who hold stead in my soul (Paul Bowles, Wm Burroughs, Chuck Bukowski, Franz Kafka, Al Camus, etc), but those would only ...more
Remnant.Revenant
Dec 17, 2015 Remnant.Revenant rated it really liked it
i love marguerite duras. where mallarmé writes with smoke, she writes with 150 proof vapour. this is my first time reading late duras, i don't really know what i can write on two novellas about the impossibility of writing. she pulls it off beautifully. appreciated the inclusion of a short interview with the author.
Bailey
Feb 26, 2016 Bailey rated it it was amazing
"The Atlantic Man", is undoubtedly the most beautiful piece of writing I've had the pleasure of reading.
Sean
Dec 18, 2015 Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

3 for the first novella (read The Malady of Death for context). 4 for the second. 5 for the interview.

3 + 4 + 5 = 12 3 = 4

(Fact: Duras studied mathematics before turning to writing.)
Padraig
Mar 09, 2016 Padraig rated it it was ok
I'm on a Duras bender-and everything I read keeps leading like a chain to her other work since she's so awfully fond of referencing her writing process in works like _Practicalities_ . This was no exception since these two itty bitty bits of writing- let's not dignify the publisher's fiction that this napkin-thin collection of pages of text with 2 inch borders and triple wide spacing are "novellas"-about you guessed it: writing. These two stories did zero for me. One is kind of about her relatio ...more
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
William Meredith
William Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Scott Moules
Scott Moules rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Maryann
Maryann rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
William Meredith
William Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Jenni
Jenni added it
Jan 18, 2016
Trish Czech
Trish Czech marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
M
M rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
word junky
word junky marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Oct 06, 2015
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Intan Mutias
Intan Mutias is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marguerite Donnadieu, better known as Marguerite Duras (pronounced [maʀgəʁit dyˈʁas] in French) (April 4, 1914 – March 3, 1996) was a French writer and film director.

She was born at Gia-Dinh, near Saigon, French Indochina (now Vietnam), after her parents responded to a campaign by the French government encouraging people to work in the colony.

Marguerite's father fell ill soon after their arrival,
More about Marguerite Duras...