Start by marking “Heat (Firefighters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heat (Firefighters, #1)

Heat (Firefighters #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  444 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Chance thinks he's got a pretty good life. He loves his job as a fireman, he's got an ocean view, and he has a great bunch of friends. He figured there's not much reason to change until he meets Tucker, a paramedic who works his shift. Tucker might even be worth breaking the don't ask, don't tell policy at work, might just be worth coming out for. Trouble threatens to tear ...more
Published 2005 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heat

Hot Head by Damon SuedeCollision Course by K.A. Mitchell911 by Chris OwenKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneWith Caution by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Firemen/Paramedics/EMTs
9th out of 143 books — 294 voters
Chase in Shadow by Amy LaneFinding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie SextonFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsShades of Gray by Brooke McKinley
Best M/M Hurt/Healing/Comfort Books
206th out of 500 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

Jewel
I decided to read this series when I heard that Chris Owen and Tory Temple just released Never Too Early, which brings together Jake and Tor from Chris Owen's Bareback series and Chance and Tucker from Tory Temple's Firefighters series.

Heat begins the story of Chance and Tucker, two firemen who, thank FSM, can't seem to keep their hands off one another. I loved the story and the MC's and their sex was HOT. Things are not always smooth sailing, though, and we learn that not only is Chance bossy
Alina
Sep 07, 2011 Alina rated it it was amazing
Very good book for those, who love firefighters!
Nice and likeable characters, interesting development of their relationship, and although I usually absolutely hate middle-book break-ups here it worked well for the story. I especially liked the fact that Tucker didn't sleep with anyone, while he and Chance were apart, coz rebound sex is another thing I don't like in romance books. Also I loved the fact, that Tucker still went to Chance's ceremony and put the badge on him - it felt very right :)
Katharina
Dec 11, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
That was a surprisingly good read! I've read quite a few firefighter stories and while almost all of them had some entertaining value, they were often in the good enough, but not great category. This one though was thoroughly enjoyable with two thick-headed, sometimes dumb, but still likeable main characters. I'll definitely need to have a look at the rest of the series...
Saritza
Mar 19, 2010 Saritza rated it really liked it
Great, fast, smutty read that leads to a series! How can you go wrong with that?

Summary: Chance thinks he's got a pretty good life. He loves his job as a fireman, he's got an ocean view, and he has a great bunch of friends. He figured there's not much reason to change until he meets Tucker, a paramedic who works his shift. Tucker might even be worth breaking the don't ask, don't tell policy at work, might just be worth coming out for.

Trouble threatens to tear the two apart, though, when Chance
Meep
Jan 10, 2013 Meep rated it it was ok
Erotica - read as a smut-fest it's fine but there's not much more to it.

Starts off with the feel of getting the info out of the way, then Tucker walks into the station and Chance becomes a walking erection, they fuck, from then on it's mating season.

Tucker shares his childhood trauma without any lead in, the two men have barely spoken at this point, it's all about the smut, might have been better to keep it simple because the background on Tucker isn't given any real relevance.

Everyone at the st
Fff
Dec 08, 2015 Fff rated it really liked it
I hesitated to rate this book between 3,5 Stars and 4 Stars.
This is a sweet and pleasant story between two firefighters: their encounter, their mutual attraction, their relationship growing up… Then Chance is injured on duty and from that moment things go wrong between them… until their separation… But fortunately everything will work out for them (if only everything could be so simple and have happy ending in the real life…!).
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
So, I picked this book up, after I finished the Bareback Series. I am thinking of reading the collaboration between Chris Owens and Tory Temple and thought I should get to know Tucker and Chance first.

I loved Chance and Tucker. Chance a firefighter/medic had been at the same station for 8 years. He has an immediate attraction to the new medic, Tucker when they meet. He tried to avoid Tucker, but after a while Tucker confronts him. They start sleeping together and eventually enter into a relatio
Roger - president of NBR United - Grace
a good firefighter gets injured take it out on lover angsty book. the reunion at the badging ceremony is great. secondary characters make this even more enjoyable.
Lisa
Life is good for Chance and tucker until Chance is hit by a car and suffers a broken leg. He takes it out on Tucker and the relationshi sgoes to pot and Tucker moves out.
A shortish, cute story that has a HEA and I certainly want to read further books in the series.
Susan65
Jan 24, 2015 Susan65 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

I’ve had Heat on my to-read list since forever and have no idea why I didn’t get to it sooner, because this was smoking hot in so many ways. I especially loved the interaction and dialogue between Chance and Tucker, mainly because they didn’t tip toe around each other; they would just as easily say “I want you” as they would “fuck you”…and that was refreshing and reminiscent of how I remember MM novels used to be way back when I first started reading them. Which makes a lot of s
Daniela
Jul 29, 2013 Daniela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-firefighters
What a beautiful down to Earth story. I totally love it!!!

Chance had been living his life in the most comfortable environment during the last 8 years, he is a gay firefighter still in the closet because nothing good will come if all of his coworkers fine out; this is only until the mos beautiful man appers in front of him as he new memeber of the of the squad with the name of Tucker. And that's when life for Chance an dTucker start to change

At first, Chance does the only thing that can help him
Felicia (Ferishia)
I pick this book to read for my m/m Reading Challenge. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. But then, what's not to like about hot fireman. The story features Chance, an 8-year veteran firefighter who just happens to be gay. He gets a new partner, a rookie named Tucker, with a sexy southern drawl. Chance is attracted immediately Tucker's good looks, and tries to keep his distance, unless they are on a call together. Tucker corners him asking why he's acting so stuck up and that s ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
I had forgotten that I read this one already. The plot is rather forgettable, really, and not terribly much happens in it aside from both MCs acting like idiots. Also, the plot structure is episodic, jumping from month to month, which really irritates me (and incidentally, it's the same episodic structure used by Chris Owen for 911 -- what is it with firefighters and episodic plots?) So, anyway, the main point for the book is the sex scenes -- which are not bad. Not the best I've ever seen, but ...more
Amazonaute
Oct 31, 2015 Amazonaute rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite enjoyable. The characters felt real.
Lucy
Nov 22, 2010 Lucy rated it really liked it
I went back and forth between 3 and 4, but just the fact that it was firemen, and a surfer, brought it up. Chance and Tucker are firefighters at the same company, and fall fairly easily into a relationship. When Chance has an accident, things fall apart. This is where I was tempted to give it a 3, because there was a chunk of the story (not a huge one, but there) where they are separated, and the story dragged here. It ends well, a pretty smooth story.
Karina
Apr 29, 2012 Karina rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. Great story and very hot characters. As much as I have a SERIOUS distaste for the cover, I'm glad that it didn't throw me off from reading this book.
(view spoiler)

They are just so good together. Seriously.
Meggie
Mar 26, 2012 Meggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This story is an oldie, but always an enjoyment for rereading it. Chance and Tucker were like kids around each other. I liked their story it was warm. Chance really behaved like an ass after his accident, but then they both acted like idiots. We have great HEA at the end, which is really satisfying. The story was well written and the text flown fast.
Shirley Frances
Nov 10, 2011 Shirley Frances rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, mm-series
This book was picked for me for a challenge and I truly enjoyed it. Well duh, hot firemen! Anyway, the characters were great, funny and emotional and loving and the story seemed so real, so true, that I found myself laughing with them and crying too. I recommend it to anyone who loves a good romance with a HEA!
Nic
It may follow a fairly standard plot - fireman gets together with the hot, new guy who joins the station, issues adjusting to a work relationship, accidents, injuries, disagreements - but well worth reading if you like hot firemen and a wonderful happy ending.
Jane (PS)
Jan 20, 2012 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it
Cute fun book. Yes, there is a bit of stupidity, but there are also some good chuckles and laughs and a HFN/HEA. I'll be continuing the series :)
Alli
Jan 10, 2010 Alli rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read
A really cute story with sexy characters. However, the techniques used to masculinize the dialogue are overused & cliche. Other than that, enjoyable.
TF
Aug 13, 2012 TF rated it liked it
My first fireman book! I liked it, Chance annoyed me with the way he acted so I guess that is a good sign if the character gets on my nerves.
Bookbee
May 21, 2011 Bookbee rated it really liked it
Loved these guys, even though I wanted to smack Chance upside the head more than once! I'd forgive Tucker anything just for his dimples! ;)
Cl Thompson
Apr 21, 2015 Cl Thompson rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. It has really hot sex scenes!! Hopefully we'll get more MC's background info in book 2.
Nancy L
Jun 09, 2011 Nancy L rated it really liked it
how could you not find firefighters/paramedics hot????
Dena
2.5* Chance was a total jerk!
Pampulakorva
Pampulakorva rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
  • On Fire (On Fire, #1)
  • 911 (911, #1)
  • Hearts Afire: January
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Two In Two Out (Hero, #2)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
  • Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)
  • Out of My Mind
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • By Degrees (By Degrees, #1)
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • ReneCade (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #3)
  • Burnin' for You (Burnin' for You, #1)
  • Collision Course (Florida Books, #2)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Smoke and Mirrors, #1)
  • Sex, Lies, and Celluloid
I live in southern California, the land of no seasons. (Is wind a season?) I live with three dogs, two cats, and some tortoises. I'm married to a firefighter, which is great in the sense that some nights I get the TV all to myself, but not so great in the sense that some nights I have to figure out what to do when the washer starts leaking. (Or when there's a bat in the house, which is a thing tha ...more
More about Tory Temple...

Firefighters (8 books)
  • Flashover (Firefighters, #2)
  • Slow Burn (Firefighters, #3)
  • Flesh and Blood (Firefighters, #4)
  • To Serve and Protect (includes: Firefighters, #4)
  • Tinder (Firefighters, #5)
  • Embers (Firefighters, #6)
  • Sparks, A Tinder Story (Firefighters #7)