Out of Bounds (Love of Sports, #1)

Out of Bounds (Love of Sports #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,092 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Can a sexy nightclub owner convince an all star basketball player to risk it all?

Love of Sports Book 1

Professional basketball player Kasey Johnson makes a point of keeping his sexual preference under guard and out of the public eye. Empty, off-season flings are all he can look forward to until he retires. He figures his secret is safe--until he meets Ingram Fletcher, a nig...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Out of Bounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Bounds

Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
9th out of 229 books — 451 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesCut & Run by Abigail RouxWith Caution by J.L. LangleySticks & Stones by Abigail RouxForce of Law by Jez Morrow
Best Gay Alpha Males
57th out of 528 books — 634 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Why do I keep putting off reading T.A. Chase’s books? There is definitely no rhyme or reason to my madness! Sitting her thinking about it, I believe it’s because I love his work so much! I want to save it and read it when I am particularly feeling down, or I am out of sorts for some reason.

I am so glad I stopped putting Out of Bounds to read off. As usual T.A.’s characters are not only likeable, but humanly flawed as well. They are always people I can relate too. Their happiness or sadness that...more
Meghan
Simply put: Not a fan of this book

The beginning grabbed my attention, but about halfway through I became bored. In a short e-book, that really says something, too. The conflict was forced. There was no real tension or excitement, which could have been built up over the months before the story started. The author seemed to skip right over that part, which in this kind of story can be the best part, its the part that makes us happy when the couple finally gets together.

Its too bad too, because I...more
Ralph
May 07, 2010 Ralph rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ralph by: Martha
Shelves: mm-romance
Professional basketball player Kasey Johnson makes a point of keeping his sexual preference under guard and out of the public eye. Empty, off-season flings are all he can look forward to until he retires. He figures his secret is safe-until he meets Ingram Fletcher, a nightclub owner who ignites a passionate inferno in his body.
Gram has lusted after Kasey ever since the long, tall basketball player was traded to Phoenix a year ago. But with Kasey-s twin brother running interference, up until now
Charly
Good idea, but could have been executed much better

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 4/10

PROS:
- The story is filled with glamorous surroundings and people who are fun to read about. Who’s not interested, on at least some level, in famous twin brothers who make People’s 50 Most Beautiful People list, frequent A-list clubs, and stay in the executive suites of fancy hotels?
- I liked Kasey’s brother, Garrett, quite a bit. He’s flashy and flamboyant with...more
Brenda (b)
I enjoyed the story of Kasey and Gram coming together and finding love. My complaint is that the story should have been longer. I had one of those "You're kidding, that's it!?!?!" moments when I reached the end. I at least wanted an epilogue to tell me they got the HEA they deserved. And I wanted to see what happened later for Garrett and Paul, maybe they'll get their own stories later in the series.

4-22-09 I upgraded this to 4 stars based on reading the sequel, High Line , which provides a HEA...more
Candice

This story was a fun read and I like Kasey and Gram. It was nice that Gram didn't put a lot of pressure on Kasey knowing what it would do to his career. My biggest complaint was the ending with very abrupt and I would have liked to have seen what happened.

Elisa Rolle
One thing you could say of T.A. Chase's books is that they are all very different. This one is a sexual romp (from Merriam Webster Online romp = a: high-spirited, carefree, and boisterous play b: something suggestive of such play: as (1): a light fast-paced narrative, dramatic, or musical work usually in a comic mood (2): an episode of lovemaking).

Kasey is a 23 years old pro basketball player. He is only in his second year as professional player and he has no courage to openly admit that he is g...more
Elizabetta

Oh man, this just didn’t work for me, either. The plot is pretty run-of-the-mill: up-and-coming young sports star (basketball this time), Kasey, is in the closet to protect career and endorsement deals. But when he meets the love of his life, Ingram (Gram). an out and proud nightclub owner, Kasey has some hard decisions to make.

Any exposition of Kasey's actual sports career takes a back seat. There is a lot of sex, it’s mostly sex really. The guys hook up pretty immediately and other th...more
MK (Food actvist)
Jun 30, 2009 MK (Food actvist) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of sports themed m/m romance>basketball
3.5 of 5 really

I was really liking this, the characters, their relationship struggles, deciding if it was worth it, what they really meant to each other, until the very end.

It will be worth it, however, to read the next book in the series. As I am much more interested in a follow up. Be it with these characters or another sports themed m/m romance from T A Chase.
Heather
Really 3 1/2 stars.

Would have given this 4, however the ending was a little too abrupt. I was hoping for a little more insight into Kasey and Gram's relationship after the big announcement.

Overall, story was a lot of fun and I really liked it... I just wish the book could have been longer, or the ending wrapped up a little differently.

xo

Arthur
I like this book a lot since it deals with coming out differently. Usually, when two men are involved with each other and one of them is in the closet, the other man would put pressure on him or downright threatening by giving him ultimatum: out or break up. Not here.
Shelby
I’m not even sure I can really say why, but I really love this book. I’ve re-read it any number of times and I’m never disappointed. It’s a relatively short story but it touches all my feel good happy thoughts and always makes me smile. I just adore Kasey and Gram together, in fact I’ve enjoyed them so much that I never even notice how short of a time frame there is to their falling in love.

Kasey Johnson career is on the rise. He’s in his second year in the NBA playing for the Phoenix Suns. It’...more
Kukko
I am really surprised I am about to say this - but all the humping, grunting and one-word exclamations during sex ("gonna") got a bit tedious after a while.

This is a short story and instead of all the repetitive sex (sometimes less is more), I would have loved to have learnt more about Gram and Kasey. Maybe then I would not have been so surprised when they announced to the world that they were in love and wanted to spend the rest of their lives together …it all felt a tad premature.

I wish some...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
The beginning was very good. I liked the fact that Gram didn't know if Kasey was gay and he had all the worries of a teenager who doesn't know if he has a chance with his love interest or not. Their first kiss on the couch of a nightclub, stealing a moment in a dark, was beautiful and hot and sweet at the same time. It was a promise that wasn't really fulfilled.

After that there's a lot of sex and the plot (young sport star who has to decide whether to stay in the closet and keep his endorsements...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jul 21, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Tailtiu
3.5*
Really nice 'coming out' story.
Kasey is a pro Basketball player and even though his twin is an out Hollywood star he is still in the closet.
He falls for Gram a gay nightclub owner and has a tough choice to make - come out or stay in the closet.
I liked that Gram not only didn't pressure Kasey to come out, but was understanding and supportive of him and his reasons for staying in the closet. Likeable MC's and other characters, I just could have done with a bit more relationship building and a...more
Alina
I liked this book!
Both Kasey and Gram are very sympathetic characters and the main theme about homophobia in sports was very realistic, I think.
At first I was wondering why there's so much Garrett in this book (not that I didn't like him - quite the opposite), but then I remembered about the sequel :)
The ending was kinda abrupt, but then again there's more of Gram and Kasey's story in the second book, so I'm not complaining.
Bo
This book starts off a bit hesitantly--it's the first of a couple dealing with Kasey Johnson and his twin brother Garrett, but it heats up incredibly fast and in such a way as your initial reaction might be, "um, whaaaaaaat?"

Kasey is a second-year professional basketball player obviously playing for the Phoenix Suns--he's a 6'5" blond god who is gay and has not come out, though his equally impressive brother, Garrett, a rising movie star, is openly gay.

There are so many "this is absurd" twists...more
Pia Veleno
There is such thing as too much sex. I caught myself thinking, "Again?" several times while reading. The main conflict could've been stronger given the MC's position, and ended fairly abruptly avoiding the fallout that one would expect around a celebrity athlete.
Suzanne Thomas
I really enjoyed this book and the connection between the boys is sweet, sexy and romantic. I only gave it 3 stars because it is so short. Only about 100 pgs. The connection between Gram and Kasey has already been established before the book starts so we come in the middle of the story. It's almost like we get to see the sweet ending without knowing the beginning.
But I recommend this book for a very sexy short read. I will be reading the next book. I can't wait to read more about kasey's twin br...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Kasey is a star basketball player. He's gay but not openly out, due to fears related to his profession. His twin brother, Garrett, however is openly gay-- and is a highly sought-after Hollywood Star. When Garrett is in town, Kasey usually accommodates his desire to party, so even though he's weary, he follows Garrett to a popular nightclub. The owner, Gram, is a sexy Irishman who has a powerful crush on Kasey and when Garrett indicates that Gram stands a chance, he makes his move.

Apparently the...more
Leslie Lee Sanders
Imagine being an all-star basketball player, the twin of an openly gay celebrity movie star and secretly gay yourself. Oh, what stress. In T. A. Chase’s erotic romance, Out of Bounds, Kasey Johnson is that person.

All the action begins when Kasey’s movie star brother, Garrett, convinces him to go out with him to a nightclub. Once there, Ingram Fletcher, the nightclub owner, makes his move to seduce Kasey.

Kasey is career minded and any move he makes is strategically placed in order to keep his sex...more
Nerine Petros
Out of Bounds is a wonderful novella which takes us into the world of sports. T.A. builds a rich background of knowledge about both the fictional basketball team that Kasey is a member of, and the nightclub that out and proud Gram owns and runs. The men have been friends for years, and T.A. does a wonderful job of writing in such a way that you feel you know both characters from the start.

Kasey plays basketball. It's what he does and he does it well, to the point of being 22 and asked to play in...more
Jody
Kasey Johnson is a star basketball player with a twin brother who's a popular openly gay actor. Kasey wishes he too could come out but knows that in the world of sports his teammates will abhor his lifestyle and endorsements will dry up. So for now he's keeping quiet. But his plans might have to change the night he goes to a popular gay bar with his brother and gives in to the long simmering attraction he's had for the bar's owner. Ingram Fletcher is out about his sexuality and wants to stay tha...more
Patti Loves FAB Romance
Out of Bounds was a quick, fun read. Kasey Johnson is a professional basketball player, and his twin, Garrett, is a famous Hollywood actor. Both are gay, Garrett is out but Kasey isn't. As the story opens, Kasey is back from an out-of-town game, and Garrett wants him to go out to a local club with him – Garrett has just broken up with his long-term partner and wants to go have fun.

Ingram (Gram) Fletcher owns the Liverpool, the club near Kasey’s home. Gram has had his eye on Kasey forever, but do...more
Trish
2.5 stars.

i just did not get into this book or the characters. the writing was ok, didn't see any major flaws but for some reason i did not connect with the characters. every other page was sex.. love m/m smuttiness but need more to connect with the characters before they get it on 24/7

the one mc was supposed to be written as conflicted about coming out and jeopardizing his sports career but he just came off as whiny.

even at one point he contradicted himself in one sentence..Spoiler: 2 mc's ar...more
Jimmy Hanson
I like the pairing of Kasey and Gram, mainly because I like those two characters both individually, AND together. Sure, a great deal of their 'together' is nothing but sex ... but still. Same old schmex routines aside, there are feelings there, and Gram isn't just 'putting up' with Kasey being in the closet due to his professional basketball career.
That said, in reading it now for the 3rd [?] time, I noticed a few things that kind of nerved me. For one, Kasey's butt is CONSISTENTLY referred to a...more
Gianna
This is the second book I've read by T.A. Chase. And I must say, he's become one of my favorite authors now. A pro basketball player who knows he's gay but has stayed in the closet to protect his career has had a huge crush on a nightclub owner whom he is friends with. Meet Kasey and Gram. Gram decides when Kasey and his brother go to the club that he's not going to wait any longer to find out if Kasey is interested. So he decides to take a chance. What starts out as a quick one night thing turn...more
Danni
This book started out well. I really liked both Gram and Kasey (and his twin brother too). They are famous people, but they still have both feet firmly planted on the ground. I liked the initial tension between the guys, but once they were together they were only having sex. Nothing more that bound them together really (except that they promised to help each other through any problems that might arise if Kasey was outed). There is some building towards a conflict, but the book ends abruptly befo...more
Wyndslash
What made me decide to read this was because I enjoyed Tabloid Star so much, and I wanted to read about the other characters mentioned in the book. I am very, very disappointed by this one. There was just too much sex and very little plot development. It seemed like there was just enough plot to enable the sex. I was disappointed when the development of Gram and Kasey's relationship was simply assumed and not shown, and even more by the very abrupt ending after Kasey's confession to the reporter...more
Melanie~~
A good solid read. I enjoyed the story. I really liked Kasey and loved Gram for his understanding and support. The ending had a touch of realism that ended before any bigotry-fueled consequences could rear up. We are left to believe that Kasey and Gram were able to weather any hard times and find some way to live happily.

I did have issues with a few, 3 or 4, inconsistencies like putting Gram's height at 6-1 and Kasey's height at 6-5 but later having one of them think of the "good seven inches"...more
  • Second Sight
  • Precious Ache
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Only His Heart (Only Forever #3)
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
  • Sacking the Quarterback (Campus Cravings, #3)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Eros Rising
  • Spot Me (Work Out, #1)
  • Rough Draft
There is beauty in every kind of love, so why not live a life without boundaries? Experiencing everything the world offers fascinates me and writing about the things that make each of us unique is how I share those insights. I live in the Midwest with a wonderful partner of thirteen years. When not writing, I’m watching movies, reading and living life to the fullest.
More about T.A. Chase...
No Going Home (Home, #1) Home of His Own (Home, #2) Tabloid Star (Tabloid Star, #1) Bound by Love (Bound, #1) High Line (Love of Sports, #2)