The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger & Mitry Mystery, #2)

The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  24 reviews
So much for the peace and quiet New York film critic Mitch Berger expected to find in his antique carriage house overlooking Long Island Sound. Nothing can shelter him from the goings-on in nearby Dorset. A violent death in a speeding Porsche...an attempted suicide by the school superintendent...and dirty politics are about to propel Mitch out of the shadows into a starrin...more
Published November 17th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hot Pink Farmhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hot Pink Farmhouse

Sandi
Enjoyable mystery with two likable lead characters, one a film critic and the other a Connecticut state trooper, a nicely done small town setting, and an interesting mystery that blended land development issues and family secrets.
Brenda
Any of the Berger & Mitry books are worth reading. The characters are so real that you feel as if you are part of their inner circle.
Grey853
Holly Koons
I'm being generous with the 3 stars when really I'd give it more of a 2.5 or 2.75. Let's be honest I just picked up this book because of the cover and the title. I mean, Hot Pink Farmhouse? That should totally be MY house! Anyway, the story was good but it was just so scattered and so many characters that it just didn't keep my attention because I never really felt vested in any of them except maybe Des. The fact that it's taken me so long to read it when normally I can finish a book within a fe...more
Susan
New York film critic Mitch Berger is spending the fall on a private island near a tranquil Connecticut village. Unfortunately the village has now become wracked with conflict between traditionalists and developers. Mitch gets to know Hangtown Frye, a famous and reclusive sculptor who owns a farmhouse painted a bright pink (thus the infelicitous title). Unfortunately the most likeable character in the novel - one of Hangtown’s daughters - is murdered, and both Mitch and resident trooper and forme...more
Amanda Meggs
Unlike my usual reading habit I have read this series all out of order. Des is a very strong and upright police woman, Mitch always in the right/wrong place at the right time to help solve the mystery. They are nice interesting characters if a little stereotypical, the other characters are the rich and famous locals who aren't very nice generally. The plot had plenty of possibilities as 'bad guy' and I was unsure how it would turn out. Very good, although its becoming rather like the Miss Marple...more
J M
Feb 21, 2014 J M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I love this book .
couldnt put it down . have now ordered others by this author
Carrie
I like Mitch and Des, individually and as a team. Des is so tough and so fragile at the same time. Mitch is sort of like a big teddy bear to her prickly cactus- it would be nice for him to grow some spikes. They work really well together and they fit nicely into Dorset's weird little scene. There needs to be more Bella, she could really get into some fabulous trouble...

Also, now I really want to know the secret ingredient in Sheila Enman's cookies...
Lauren
Gail
Another good mystery involving Mitch, movie critic and author, and Des, state trooper, who live in the quiet hamlet of Dorset, Connecticut. This one revolves around the life and death of a famous, reclusive sculptor and his daughters. Looking forward to the next in the series!
Diana
The second in this delightful series. Not as awesome as the first book, but still pretty darn great! Mr. Handler has created some of the most unique characters to ever grace the page of a cozy mystery.
Cheryl
I was really hooked and into this book until the final few pages. I felt like the ending was rushed, which took away some of my satisfaction in the story and knocked the book from 4 stars to 3 for me.
★☆★☆
I must have missed the "Mystery" portion.

Not a bad book, but I was ready to move on. I was looking forward to some sorta sluething beyond "what bed went 'BUMP' in the night".
Harry Lane
An amusing series with interesting characters and plot twists sufficient to maintain interest. The endings are a bit too neat, but still worth the read.
Mary
Didn't like this one as much as the first one in the series. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.
Samira
Jun 22, 2007 Samira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: see Cold Blue Blood
Shelves: mystery
Very sad. Desiree no longer lives in Woodbridge. Otherwise, a perfectly respectable popular mystery.
Jenene
Although I have been able to figure out the bad guy early on, I am thoroughly enjoying this series!
Liesel
Nothing special - just a quick-read mystery that was mildly entertaining over my winter break.
Jill
Good character development, not-so-well-developed mystery. More novel than suspense.
Leslie
Good story. Not high fiction, but good characters and many surprises.
Gretchen Stein
Second book in Berger and Mistry series...good mystery
Divisionred
I just love this series. This is a great book.
Armando Garcia
Another cool, cozy by Mr. Handler.
Lois
Fun read - would like to read more by this author!
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Marley
Marley added it
Aug 11, 2014
  • Crush
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • No Clue at the Inn (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #13)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Circles of Confusion (Claire Montrose, #1)
  • No Commitment Required
  • Being Plumville
  • Big Spankable Asses
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
  • Again
  • Ultraviolet (Jane Kelly, #3)
  • Get Your Sexy On
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • The Color of Love
  • Connelly's Flame (The Megalodon Team, #3)
  • Reye's Gold
  • The Alpha Promise
  • Riding The Snake
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...
The Cold Blue Blood The Bright Silver Star The Burnt Orange Sunrise The Sour Cherry Surprise The Sweet Golden Parachute