Start by marking “The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)

The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry #2)

So much for the peace and quiet New York film critic Mitch Berger expected to find in his antique carriage house overlooking Long Island Sound. Nothing can shelter him from the goings-on in nearby Dorset. A violent death in a speeding Porsche...an attempted suicide by the school superintendent...and dirty politics are about to propel Mitch out of the shadows into a starrin ...more
Published November 17th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hot Pink Farmhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hot Pink Farmhouse

Tony
Jun 18, 2015 Tony rated it liked it
This was a cozy featuring the two characters, Mitch Berger, a New York film critic, and Desiree Mitry, a black Connecticut State Trooper. Although the duo certainly brings their differences to the story, Handler was not able to infuse any of the action with any excitement. Capably written, but ultimately resulting in a dull story that is formulaic. I recommended going back and reading his earlier series featuring Stewart Hoag.
Pat Garcia
Apr 26, 2016 Pat Garcia rated it it was amazing
Think of yourself as growing one day younger each and every day for the rest of your life. (A statement made by Hangtown Frye in The Hot Pink Farmhouse by David Handler)

A car explosion, a squeaky mattress, an undiscovered grave, a secret past, voyeurism, teenage vandalism, and unrequited acceptance weave a thread of malice and murder in The Hot Pink Farmhouse by David Handler.

The famous recluse, Wendell Frye, better known as, Hangtown and his alluring, attractive, sexy daughter Takai joins Berge
Holly Koons
Jun 12, 2014 Holly Koons rated it liked it
I'm being generous with the 3 stars when really I'd give it more of a 2.5 or 2.75. Let's be honest I just picked up this book because of the cover and the title. I mean, Hot Pink Farmhouse? That should totally be MY house! Anyway, the story was good but it was just so scattered and so many characters that it just didn't keep my attention because I never really felt vested in any of them except maybe Des. The fact that it's taken me so long to read it when normally I can finish a book within a fe ...more
Sandi
Enjoyable mystery with two likable lead characters, one a film critic and the other a Connecticut state trooper, a nicely done small town setting, and an interesting mystery that blended land development issues and family secrets.
Brenda
Mar 05, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Any of the Berger & Mitry books are worth reading. The characters are so real that you feel as if you are part of their inner circle.
Mary
Jul 15, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Didn't like this one as much as the first one in the series. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.
toya
Jul 07, 2010 toya rated it liked it
I must have missed the "Mystery" portion.

Not a bad book, but I was ready to move on. I was looking forward to some sorta sluething beyond "what bed went 'BUMP' in the night".
Lynn
Dec 03, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
The Hot Pink Farmhouse is the second book in the Mitch Berger and Des Mitry series. Mitch Berger is a well known film critic for a New York City newspaper.
He recently moved to Big Sister Island near Dorset Connecticut. Des Mitry followed him to Dorset. She gave up a high level job in the state police homicide department in order to pursue her interest in art. She is attending an art school in Dorset but her main occupation is being a local trooper for the area.

I am very happy that I found this s
Susan
Nov 27, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
New York film critic Mitch Berger is spending the fall on a private island near a tranquil Connecticut village. Unfortunately the village has now become wracked with conflict between traditionalists and developers. Mitch gets to know Hangtown Frye, a famous and reclusive sculptor who owns a farmhouse painted a bright pink (thus the infelicitous title). Unfortunately the most likeable character in the novel - one of Hangtown’s daughters - is murdered, and both Mitch and resident trooper and forme ...more
Amanda Meggs
Feb 19, 2013 Amanda Meggs rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, berger-mitry
Unlike my usual reading habit I have read this series all out of order. Des is a very strong and upright police woman, Mitch always in the right/wrong place at the right time to help solve the mystery. They are nice interesting characters if a little stereotypical, the other characters are the rich and famous locals who aren't very nice generally. The plot had plenty of possibilities as 'bad guy' and I was unsure how it would turn out. Very good, although its becoming rather like the Miss Marple ...more
Grey853
Aug 25, 2014 Grey853 rated it liked it
Lauren
Aug 21, 2013 Lauren rated it it was ok
Carrie
Jan 04, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
I like Mitch and Des, individually and as a team. Des is so tough and so fragile at the same time. Mitch is sort of like a big teddy bear to her prickly cactus- it would be nice for him to grow some spikes. They work really well together and they fit nicely into Dorset's weird little scene. There needs to be more Bella, she could really get into some fabulous trouble...

Also, now I really want to know the secret ingredient in Sheila Enman's cookies...
Eugene
Apr 07, 2016 Eugene rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
2nd in the Berger and Mitry mystery series, and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first. Once past the slightly cloying improbable love affair between the two, the book stands up quite nicely. Good plot, good characters, excellent pace, unexpected turns of events, and a wham-bam denouement - what more would one ask of an entertaining mystery?
Diana
Jun 08, 2013 Diana rated it liked it
The second in this delightful series. Not as awesome as the first book, but still pretty darn great! Mr. Handler has created some of the most unique characters to ever grace the page of a cozy mystery.
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2012
I was really hooked and into this book until the final few pages. I felt like the ending was rushed, which took away some of my satisfaction in the story and knocked the book from 4 stars to 3 for me.
Gail
Mar 29, 2013 Gail rated it really liked it
Another good mystery involving Mitch, movie critic and author, and Des, state trooper, who live in the quiet hamlet of Dorset, Connecticut. This one revolves around the life and death of a famous, reclusive sculptor and his daughters. Looking forward to the next in the series!
Harry Lane
Mar 20, 2012 Harry Lane rated it liked it
An amusing series with interesting characters and plot twists sufficient to maintain interest. The endings are a bit too neat, but still worth the read.
Samira
Jun 22, 2007 Samira rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: see Cold Blue Blood
Shelves: mystery
Very sad. Desiree no longer lives in Woodbridge. Otherwise, a perfectly respectable popular mystery.
Claire Eden
Claire Eden rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2009
Gail McCaskill
Gail McCaskill rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Carrie Cole
Carrie Cole rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Karin
Karin rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Patty Dadamo
Patty Dadamo rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Creature of the Night (Urban Vampire, #2).
  • On the Edge of Love (Mama's Brood, #1)
  • Someone To Watch Over Me
  • Wild, Wild Mess:Atlanta
  • Scarred (Damaged Souls, #1)
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • Her Russian Surrender: 50 Loving States, Indiana (50 Loving States #10)
  • On Caristo's Watch (Italian Knights, #2)
  • Eris (Eternal Truths Series, Book 1)
  • Ivy's Twisted Vine
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Landing in Love (Born to Fly, #1)
  • Classic (Adrenaline, #1)
  • Love Through Pain
  • Wicked Games (Denver Rebels #1)
  • Taken By Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • The Fight Within
  • Beastly Desires
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Berger and Mitry (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3)
  • The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4)
  • The Sweet Golden Parachute (Berger and Mitry, #5)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • The Shimmering Blond Sister (Berger and Mitry, #7)
  • The Blood Red Indian Summer (Berger and Mitry, #8)
  • The Snow White Christmas Cookie (Berger and Mitry, #9)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)